Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Elizabeth is Missing

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Elizabeth is Missing

Postby midnightcatprowl » September 5th, 2018, 7:48 pm

I recently read 'Elizabeth is Missing' by Emma Healey. Picked it up in a charity shop thinking it looked interesting but wondering if I'd ever read it as it might be rather depressing. Why so? Well it is a novel in which the central character is a woman suffering from dementia, who can remember things from the past but who is ever increasingly confused by the present or rather can understand the present when it is happening but then immediately forgets. The heroine (for so she is) is at the start of the book still living independently - sort of - and the main thing on her mind is trying to find out what has happened to her friend Elizabeth who has disappeared.

The odd thing is that this was an absolute page turner, I couldn't put it down. The other odd thing is that far from being depressing it was in many ways a very positive and heartening and thoroughly absorbing story. It shows along the way some of the problems faced by family members who try to 'look after' people with dementia, I hasten to add that this isn't a 'theme' of the book, it is just shown up along the way as a natural part of the story via the thoughts, comments and observations of the central character. It also shows along the way the problems faced by people with dementia in trying to deal with those who are trying to look after them!

But essentially this is a novel about someone on a mission to find, even perhaps 'save', a friend, and it makes for a very compelling story.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Elizabeth is Missing

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Sounds like an interesting read.

I read and enjoying a book a few years ago where the heroine could not remember recent events and had to completely relearn who she was every morning. I believe it was made into a film...I wish I could remember the title.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 6th, 2018, 5:47 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Sounds like an interesting read.

I read and enjoying a book a few years ago where the heroine could not remember recent events and had to completely relearn who she was every morning. I believe it was made into a film...I wish I could remember the title.

John

Memento?

Except that in the film it was a hero and not a heroine.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 6th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:Sounds like an interesting read.

John

Memento?

Except that in the film it was a hero and not a heroine.

No, no tattoos involved. This was "Before I go to Sleep".

I had to Google it.

John

Return to “Books and Reading”