Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Rule Britannia

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Rule Britannia

Postby Clitheroekid » September 19th, 2018, 7:35 pm

In a clear out of some old books I recently came across "Rule Britannia" by Daphne du Maurier - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rule-Britannia ... 1844080633

It's a fairly ancient book (1972) and I can't remember ever reading it. I often used to buy books (and still do) on a recommendation or because it was by an author I liked (a big tick for DdM) but there were and are many that I never got round to reading.

It was heading for Tesco (they have a second hand books for charity stand) but I glanced at the synopsis and was surprised to see that this is now one of the most topical novels around, even though nobody's ever heard of it.

The reason it's topical is that the background scenario is one in which the UK has left the Common Market (as it was then) and has been plunged into economic gloom - George Cairney would be delighted!

And in order to recover from the gloom the UK has `merged' with the USA to become a new country called USUK (I think DdM must have had fun deciding on the name!)

Unfortunately, however, it seems that like many corporate mergers it's not so much a merger as a takeover of the UK by the USA. It's been decided that the UK is no longer a viable manufacturer (not far off the truth in 1972) but that it's strong on history and tourist attractions, so its future has been deemed to be effectively a giant theme park. The residents of places like Cornwall and Wales, that attract a lot of tourists, will be paid by the government to dress up in quaint local costumes and caper for the entertainment of tourists from more sophisticated nations.

Needless to say, this new role for the UK isn't universally welcomed, and the novel (so far, I'm only part way through) is about the resistance to the `occupation' by a rather eccentric family living in - inevitably for DdM - the depths of Cornwall.

I'm really glad I didn't chuck it, as it's a highly entertaining read, and made more so by its no doubt unimagined topicality.

I just hope The Donald doesn't get hold of a copy; it might give him ideas! ;)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Rule Britannia

Postby Itsallaguess » September 19th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
And in order to recover from the gloom the UK has `merged' with the USA to become a new country called USUK (I think DdM must have had fun deciding on the name!)

I propose that we are called United American Republic Strategic East.

Much better.....

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » September 20th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
I propose that we are called United American Republic Strategic East.

Much better.....

Itsallaguess

I suggest: Airstrip One :shock: :o

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » September 22nd, 2018, 4:50 pm

I did read that, many years ago, possibly from the library and quite enjoyed it, though I can no longer remember the ending so I won't be doing any spoilers. :lol:

Slarti

Return to “Books and Reading”