Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The African Queen

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
dubre
2 Lemon pips

The African Queen

Postby dubre » November 28th, 2022, 11:50 am

I have recently read this short novel by C S Forester having watched the film at least twice.The book is a worthwhile read with, as usual, a few variations in plot from the film. The book is rather more earthy than the film and, to my taste, not as good. However, this is often the case depending on what happens first ie. reading the book or seeing the film. Broadly, the book describes the passage in a steam driven launch along an African river. In process the couple on the launch manage to keep an old steam engine going, achieve various repairs on the engine and propulsion system and use original thinking to design and fabricate a torpedo. All this with extremely limited materials and do, what in practice, would be virtually impossible. The author described the man as a skilled mechanic and yet still managed to convey the impression that a man capable of this much innovation and skill is thick.A common attitude, perhaps, in 1930's England and maybe today towards those without a PPE at Oxford?

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Re: The African Queen

Postby BBLSP1 » November 28th, 2022, 2:52 pm

The book/film are loosely based on real historic events in World War I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_Lake_Tanganyika

The expedition was led by Geoffrey Spicer-Simson, and the 'African Queen' connection is mentioned at the bottom of this page, 'In Popular Culture':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Spicer-Simson

DelianLeague
2 Lemon pips

Postby DelianLeague » February 1st, 2023, 5:04 pm

Thank you for reminding me that I want to read this book. :D

D.L.

Golam
Lemon Pip

Postby Golam » February 1st, 2023, 5:25 pm

Remember going to see the film with my late Mother. Subsequently developed a serious phobia about leeches.

Return to “Books and Reading”