Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Author Aliette de Bodard

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
deucetoace

Author Aliette de Bodard

Postby deucetoace » February 12th, 2017, 9:50 pm

Whilst I am here (gave up on TMF a while ago so not used to popping in here as yet) I would recommend this author. I have read her Aztec sort of mystery trilogy (Obsidian & Blood) & House of Shattered Wings (the first of two books so far in alternative history Paris). I have not yet read any of her short stories.

These alternative history stories are fantasy orientated. The plots flow very well but are not that fast paced. More like sipping an elegant Pinot Noir as opposed to drinking an over-alcoholic Aussie fruit bomb that you find with some authors.

She covers areas of history that I have not seen explored anywhere else. As well as the Aztecs the alternative history in Paris has elements of Vietnamese folklore. Again some major female characters, is this becoming more prevalent I wonder, it used to be a rarity.

High quality writing from an author who balances an unusual imagination with sublty and precision of plot line.

My favorite new (to me) author of the last few years.

deucetoace

carrie80

Re: Author Aliette de Bodard

Postby carrie80 » February 14th, 2017, 11:30 pm

I second that Aliette de Bodard is a great author to pay attention to. I haven't taken to all her work - I didn't bond with the first Aztec book - but I really liked The House of Shattered Wings and have enjoyed several of her Xuya short stories, especially The Waiting Stars:
http://aliettedebodard.com/short-storie ... ing-stars/

She also writes thoughtful, interesting essays on various issues feeding into storytelling, such as:
http://aliettedebodard.com/2015/09/17/o ... e-systems/

Return to “Books and Reading”