Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ben Macintyre/Spy genre

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Dod101
The full Lemon

Ben Macintyre/Spy genre

Postby Dod101 » April 15th, 2022, 7:34 am

I am a great fan of Ben Macintyre and I am reminded of him when I made reference on another thread to his account of the springing of Oleg Gordievsky from Moscow in 1985. Gordievsky was a senior KGB man turned spy for the British and was in deep trouble in Moscow. The Brits got him out overland by car through Finland. As the book cover says 'The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War'. He has also written on Kim Philby - who of that genre has not? - and amongst many other books, I think his most recent is Agent Sonya, an incredible story of an apparently ordinary English housewife but who was actually a German Jew, spying for the Soviet Union.

Ben Macintyre was also of course a great fan of the late John le Carre.

To anyone who does not know his books I would recommend pretty well any of them.

Dod

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Re: Ben Macintyre/Spy genre

Postby AWOL » July 8th, 2022, 9:41 pm

A Spy Among Friends is excellent as is SAS Rogue Heroes. John le Carre is sublime and like the best no longer with us.
Spymaster by Martin Pearce is well worth a read if interested in Sir Maurice Oldfield, who inspired Guinness's Smiley.

Return to “Books and Reading”