Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Identifying half-remembered children's books

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Identifying half-remembered children's books

Postby LadyGagarin » November 9th, 2017, 9:56 pm

I have three books I'm trying to identify from when I read them back in the early to mid 80s, though they may have been published much earlier - my mum confiscated them before I'd fully read/memorized them. Now I just have splintered fragments. In 1 (possibly an anthology of short stories), the children accidentally set fire to a man, all I remember is the drawing of his charred-black yet still perfectly-shaped head and undamaged clothes, and that it had a reddish-pink marbled cover.

In 2, the children visited a magical lake, eventually they began gradually turning into fish or mermaids. Pastel cover with possibly some silver or gold writing/detailing. One of the pictured characters was a girl with curly hair.

In 3, the narrator encountered an evil clown named Zany and had a battle of wits with him in some sort of claustrophobic corridor or tunnel.

TIA

Lady Gagarin

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Re: Identifying half-remembered children's books

Postby LadyGagarin » November 10th, 2017, 6:47 pm

Thinking about it some more, I think the burns to 1 may have been caused by an explosion and the explosives were in some sort of wooden chest. (I may be wrong, or conflating it with something else.)

Also, Zany the evil clown may have been a jack-in-the-box.

Return to “Books and Reading”