Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Robert Aichman

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Robert Aichman

Postby midnightcatprowl » November 16th, 2017, 10:37 pm

I was recently alerted to this author via a recent article (within the last month at most?) - I think - in The Guardian but it may have been instead The Independent but despite searching I can't now track it down. Whatever, and wherever, it was was praising Aichman and suggesting he was a very unappreciated/underestimated author.

I've now got three of this author's books on my Kindle of which the best is - possibly - 'Cold Hand in Mine'. Aichman writes in a short story/longer story format so each book contains a number of works. I don't know whether to describe him as a writer of horror stories, of ghost stories, of stories of unease or maybe of unusual stories which scarcely fit into any particular genre? I do know that it is a long time since a new author I've come across has had me so fascinated as to read straight through three books without stopping to read anything else. The fascination is sufficiently strong to keep me engaged even though I find the stories of variable interest and skill.

Does anyone else here read this author? I'd be very interested to know your reaction to his stories?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Robert Aichman

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 16th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I certainly do - well Robert Aickman anyway! :)
I've got Cold Hand in Mine and the Tarturus Press reissue of Night Voices, and have read others in collections
He was also very keen on canals - a founder of the Inland Waterways Association* - I've got his later book on the subject "The River Runs Uphill"
Past my bedtime so I'll not do any reviews, but I really enjoy his work.
I have a theory that the intersection between fans of Dr Who, Sherlock Holmes, MR James and Aickman is bigger than you'd expect. Perhaps our brains are wired that way ?

*trivia fact, he 'was a close friend of' Elizabeth Jane Howard, the future Mrs Kingsley Amis...
[edit] just remembered he co wrote 'We Are For The Dark' with EJ Howard, I think they did three stories each

Return to “Books and Reading”