Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Shirley Jackson

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Shirley Jackson

Postby midnightcatprowl » January 23rd, 2018, 7:56 pm

Have just discovered this author after picking up her last written book (which critics claim as her greatest) "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

I'm a bit stunned by reading this book - a slim volume where I feel not a single word was wasted. I find it hard to know how to describe the genre into which it fits. On the back cover a quote by Paul Theroux says "One of the great practitioners of the literature of the darker impulses". Personally I think I'd regard it as a horror story of a very refined type.

Any one else read this author? Reactions?

Lynn

Brava21
Lemon Pip

Re: Shirley Jackson

Postby Brava21 » January 24th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Hi Lynn

Oh, Shirley Jackson! I have only read two of her short stories; 'The Lottery' and 'The Daemon Lover'. I know what you mean about trying to fit this author into a genre; these two short stories are certainly dark, and both convey a mounting momentum of dread and doom (in their different ways). I came across 'The Lottery' in the most wonderful way, in one of those cubbyholes hotels provide for people to place books they have read for others to pick up (I love those). I subsequently googled the author and found and read 'The Daemon Lover' online for free.

I am so glad you posted this, thank you, as I am going on holiday in April and think that 'We Have Always Lived at the Castle' would make a good read for then. I must get the kindle version.

Anyway, to get to the point I was going to make about the short stories, this wasn't the site from which I read 'The Daemon Lover' but if this link works (I am not very good at this, it might not!) it should take you to a website from which you could read one after the other, if you have a spare hour. I think I will read them again.

https://literaryfictions.com/?s=shirley+jackson

Brava

Return to “Books and Reading”