Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Using Lightroom on 14" laptop?

Kit, locations and help
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Using Lightroom on 14" laptop?

Postby stevensfo » July 15th, 2019, 11:04 am

I am about to get myself a laptop and since I like travelling light, I'd prefer a 14" rather than 15.6.

I haven't used LR for quite a long time and only on a desktop. Does anybody use it on a 14"? Is it something I'm going to regret? Years ago I vaguely remember using a free trial of LR on a piddly old 10" netbook. From what I remember, the problem was not so much the screen size, but the miniscule RAM that could barely cope.

Steve

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Using Lightroom on 14" laptop?

Postby kyu66 » July 15th, 2019, 2:20 pm

stevensfo wrote:I am about to get myself a laptop and since I like travelling light, I'd prefer a 14" rather than 15.6.

I haven't used LR for quite a long time and only on a desktop. Does anybody use it on a 14"? Is it something I'm going to regret? Years ago I vaguely remember using a free trial of LR on a piddly old 10" netbook. From what I remember, the problem was not so much the screen size, but the miniscule RAM that could barely cope.

I use it regularly on a 13" Macbook Pro without issue wrt screen size, just need to minimize the unused panels to maximize screen real estate. As you say, adequate RAM is more of an issue, I would advise a minimum of 8GB.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 16th, 2019, 7:09 am

kyu66 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I am about to get myself a laptop and since I like travelling light, I'd prefer a 14" rather than 15.6.

I use it regularly on a 13" Macbook Pro without issue wrt screen size, just need to minimize the unused panels to maximize screen real estate. As you say, adequate RAM is more of an issue, I would advise a minimum of 8GB.

Thanks. So I should be fine with 14". I'll be getting 16 GB RAM this time.

Steve

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 16th, 2019, 7:49 pm

stevensfo wrote:
kyu66 wrote:

Steve

I guess the screen resolution will be important too.

John

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 17th, 2019, 7:50 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
kyu66 wrote:I use it regularly on a 13" Macbook Pro without issue wrt screen size, just need to minimize the unused panels to maximize screen real estate. As you say, adequate RAM is more of an issue, I would advise a minimum of 8GB.

Steve

John

From what I see from the various specifications, the resolution is pretty much standard. I guess that colours vary quite a lot, but as we all know, 90% is down to the composition, and besides, I can do some quick prints to check. I'm only an amateur so don't want to complicate things.

Not this week, anyway. :-)

Steve

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 17th, 2019, 9:11 pm

stevensfo wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

John

From what I see from the various specifications, the resolution is pretty much standard. I guess that colours vary quite a lot, but as we all know, 90% is down to the composition, and besides, I can do some quick prints to check. I'm only an amateur so don't want to complicate things.

Not this week, anyway. :-)

Steve

You should use a programme to check the colour of the screen for consistency.

https://www.datacolor.com/photography-design/

John

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » July 18th, 2019, 8:41 am

You will not be able to judge the exposure adjustments on a laptop because the image brightness on a laptop will change with every slight change in your angle of view.But if you do not intend to edit the appearance of pictures it will be fine.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 18th, 2019, 11:49 am

colin wrote:You will not be able to judge the exposure adjustments on a laptop because the image brightness on a laptop will change with every slight change in your angle of view.But if you do not intend to edit the appearance of pictures it will be fine.

Depends on the quality of the screen, why would this be different to viewing on any LED screen?

John

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » July 18th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Stand alone monotors suitable for photo editing use an IPS screen which allows the screen to be viewed from different angles without the image changing appearance. lap top screens whatever the resolution may be have cheaper screens which do not use the IPS technology and are virtually impossible to use acurately when editing photos because the image brightness will change every time you move your head, I have no idea why. Google IPS screen technology.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 21st, 2019, 10:40 am

colin wrote:Stand alone monotors suitable for photo editing use an IPS screen which allows the screen to be viewed from different angles without the image changing appearance. lap top screens whatever the resolution may be have cheaper screens which do not use the IPS technology and are virtually impossible to use acurately when editing photos because the image brightness will change every time you move your head, I have no idea why. Google IPS screen technology.

I agree that high end monitors like the Eizo range are the best for digital post processing work but my point was that there is no reason per se why a laptop monitor is ant worse than a normal display. For instance my Macbook Pro Retina screen is better than most standard monitors and I can view it from any angle with little noticeable brightness or colour shift.

John

colin
Lemon Slice

Postby colin » July 23rd, 2019, 5:14 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
colin wrote:Stand alone monotors suitable for photo editing use an IPS screen which allows the screen to be viewed from different angles without the image changing appearance. lap top screens whatever the resolution may be have cheaper screens which do not use the IPS technology and are virtually impossible to use acurately when editing photos because the image brightness will change every time you move your head, I have no idea why. Google IPS screen technology.

I agree that high end monitors like the Eizo range are the best for digital post processing work but my point was that there is no reason per se why a laptop monitor is ant worse than a normal display. For instance my Macbook Pro Retina screen is better than most standard monitors and I can view it from any angle with little noticeable brightness or colour shift.

John

The Mac Book Pro has had an IPS screen , most laptops do not.

Return to “Photography”