Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

3D photographs?

Kit, locations and help
88V8
Lemon Half

3D photographs?

Postby 88V8 » September 30th, 2022, 10:25 am

No, not the Viewmaster.... a few years ago we picked up a bookmark, just a strip of plastic, but it incorporates a 3D photo.
The sort of thing that on a much larger scale was in vogue with dentists, remember on the ceiling, the shark the lion etc.

Is it possible to get one's own photos printed in 3D?

All I can find is people offering to turn an image into a solid three-dimensional model.

V8

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: 3D photographs?

Postby bungeejumper » September 30th, 2022, 6:02 pm

I can imagine ways that an image could be digitally altered, so as to make it look as though one image "from the left eye" had been stereoscopically captured four inches away from the one taken "from the right". And indeed, we sometimes see that sort of thing done in television programmes which perform weird tricks in order to impart a sense of 3D perspective and movement to old lithographs, etc.

But those attempts generally produces only a cartoon-ish sort of result - more like a series of overlaid two-dimensional images than a truly three-dimensional one. Sure, there will be ways that true holographic stereoscopy can be done if you've got vast enough budgets and enough time on your hands. But for ordinary mortals, I'd doubt that we're there yet.

Unless anyone knows better?

Nearly thirty years ago, I attended a journalists' conference at which we discussed the truth-bending potential of 3D digital manipulation, and what it might do to the future credibility of news images. At that time, the consensus was that the technology wasn't up to the diabolical task, but that the day would surely come. It's taken a long time, but it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes an affordable reality soon. :|

BJ

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 30th, 2022, 6:10 pm

88V8 wrote:
The sort of thing that on a much larger scale was in vogue with dentists, remember on the ceiling, the shark the lion etc.

The key word you'll want to search for is 'autostereogram'

An autostereogram is a two-dimensional (2D) image that can create the optical illusion of a three-dimensional (3D) scene.

Autostereograms use only one image to accomplish the effect while normal stereograms require two. The 3D scene in an autostereogram is often unrecognizable until it is viewed properly, unlike typical stereograms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autostereogram

Here's an online tutorial for making your own from some user-selectable masks -

https://www.easystereogrambuilder.com/

There's a tab on the above page for uploading pictures, but it also contains some warnings that results can be variable to poor without some prior work being done to the pictures, but hopefully this at least gives you somewhere to bounce off from in the specific area that you're interested in...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » September 30th, 2022, 6:25 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I can imagine ways that an image could be digitally altered, so as to make it look as though one image "from the left eye" had been stereoscopically captured four inches away from the one taken "from the right". And indeed, we sometimes see that sort of thing done in television programmes which perform weird tricks in order to impart a sense of 3D perspective and movement to old lithographs, etc.

Oh I do so hate that!

I have not come across these "3D" sharks on dentist's ceilings. What sort of thing are they? In what way are they "3D"?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 1st, 2022, 2:14 am

From the mention of a bookmark I'm wondering if you mean a lenticular image

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_printing

I imagine there's places that will take two images and assemble a print for you

Return to “Photography”