Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Recommendations please

Kit, locations and help
Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Recommendations please

Postby Nemo » March 5th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Over the next twelve months we are going to do a bit of travelling to some interesting places and need a new compact camera. We want a high quality one with wifi.

I have a preference for Canon, but will consider others.

Budget up to £500 - £600

It has been suggested that I upgrade my iphone 5 to an iphone 7 as the camera on this is quite good, but I'm not too sure.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Recommendations please

Postby redsturgeon » March 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I think the question to be asked is what do you what the camera to do that a good quality smart phone such as the iphone 7 will do. The cameras on smart phones these days can produce amazing results, mainly down to the great software in them. A compact camera will struggle to produce noticeably better pictures in most circumstances. Those few circumstances will be perhaps if you need a long telephoto shot in which case a s compact with a decent long zoom may be worthwhile.

Unless you are stepping up to a decent quality mirrorless or a DSLR then it really is a hard call to suggest that you need a camera in addition to an decent smart phone.

If you do decide you need one then I'd look at the Canon G7 or the Sony RX100.

John

Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Postby Nemo » March 6th, 2017, 8:41 am

Thanks John

Unless you are stepping up to a decent quality mirrorless or a DSLR then it really is a hard call to suggest that you need a camera in addition to an decent smart phone.

Sorry for being a bit dim but exactly what is a mirrorless camera and what are the advantages over a compact?

I have a DSLR camera which is hardly used as I can't be bothered to take it on my travels.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 6th, 2017, 9:34 am

Nemo wrote:Thanks John

Sorry for being a bit dim but exactly what is a mirrorless camera and what are the advantages over a compact?

I have a DSLR camera which is hardly used as I can't be bothered to take it on my travels.

Mirrorless cameras are latest thing and basically are mostly interchangeable lens camera that are capable of similar quality to a DSLRs without some of the bulk. They are probably the modern equivalent to a rangefinder vs an SLR.

http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... lr-1304910

John

Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Postby Nemo » March 6th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Thanks John

I've looked at the mirrorless but think that I'll stick to the compact (possibly iphone) - they seem smaller and fit into the pocket better

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 6th, 2017, 8:48 pm

I've looked at the mirrorless but think that I'll stick to the compact (possibly iphone) - they seem smaller and fit into the pocket better

I would agree with you there. I tried a mirrorless Fuji that I thought would be easier to take with me on holiday than my DSLR. Although it was maybe 50% of the size and 30% of the weight, it still would not fit in your pocket, so not really worth the compromise.

John

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 7th, 2017, 12:02 pm

I bought a mirrorless camera last year after initially setting out to buy a low end DSLR.

But then I asked myself: "Why does a digital camera need the complication of a reflex mirror mechanism at all, when the sensor provides the same picture to the viewfinder that will be recorded when the shutter is released?" And the answer I got was "It doesn't!" So I saved a few bob and bought a mirrorless camera.

The advantages over a compact or phone camera - amazing though they are these days - are better low light photography due to the larger sensor and aperture, and better control over depth of focus.

Watis

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » March 7th, 2017, 12:26 pm

CaledoniaMan

Postby CaledoniaMan » March 7th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Its probably a personal thing but I can't get comfortable taking photographs with my iPhone, firstly in bright sunlight its hard to frame and see what you're shooting or indeed what you have shot, I often find that I accidentally clip part of the image.

The other thing I find is that holding an iPhone to take a picture is really not that easy, you have to hold it by its thin edges with one hand and then poke the screen with your finger to press the virtual button. You are invariably left wondering if the device actually captured the image and being too bright to check you take another one just to be sure. Meanwhile you are holding onto this thin slippery expensive communication device which not only takes photographs but runs your whole world and praying to god that it doesn't slip from your fingers and fall to the ground or over the guard rail or into the water.

There is probably a technique to shooting with an iPhone which I haven't mastered but for me you can not beat a camera that has a strap and a viewfinder and which is designed to be held securely with both hands whilst at the same time being able to physically press the shutter button.

Whilst my Fuji X100s does not slip into my back pocket, it is an excellent travel camera and meets all the above requirements with better image quality than my older DSLR.

Of course it comes down to what you want to do with your photos as well, if you just want to have them as a record of you your travels to remind yourself, then taking and storing them on the phone is convenient for the occasional perusal. If you want to print them or display them full size then I would definitely go for a sole purpose camera.

Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Postby Nemo » March 7th, 2017, 3:24 pm

There is probably a technique to shooting with an iPhone which I haven't mastered but for me you can not beat a camera that has a strap and a viewfinder and which is designed to be held securely with both hands whilst at the same time being able to physically press the shutter button.

My views as well. I'm never comfortable snapping pictures with an iphone, even though the pictures on my iphone 5 are OK for what I want.

I like the look of the Canon G7 and the Sony RX100 - can't decide as they appear so similar. I understand that the G7X is a later model so that may swing it for me.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 7th, 2017, 4:35 pm

For what it's worth, I have had a Fuji F300EXR for over 6 years, and it is compact but with a 15x optical zoom. It fits in the pocket easily and the only thing it lacks is the optical viewfinder. I had previously had a Fuji with one, but as you say, they are too bulky to fit in your pocket.

I don't know what the present day equivalent is, but I'm happy with what I have, which has far more facilities than I can ever use. I have a small tripod which I never use.

TJH

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 8th, 2017, 7:21 pm

You say "interesting" places - for that reason alone I'd rule out an iPhone alone as the picture taker (I'd use it as a back up only)!

The reasoning is that they are very "attractive" things to steal and there goes all you photos unless you've transferred them to external storage (or upload to "the cloud").

Memory cards are cheap and I would be tempted to buy a few and use them on different excursions - in that way, if your camera is stolen/lost/damaged then you have only lost one set of memories (but have the Iphone backup) - which are probably more valuable than the camera.

The quality of the lens on a digital camera will be better and the battery will last longer too!.

I would also put your new camera in an old beaten up case and have a wrist strap (just in case you drop it or someone makes a grab).

ahenry

Postby ahenry » June 20th, 2017, 8:58 pm

CaledoniaMan wrote:

Whilst my Fuji X100s does not slip into my back pocket, it is an excellent travel camera and meets all the above requirements with better image quality than my older DSLR.

I bought a Fuji X100t last week. Brand new, the current model (X100f) is £1250 or £1000 refurbished. The older X100t is £650 refurbished from Fuji, when they have stock. I paid £560 for a year old second hand model on eBay. The earlier X100s and X100 models are ~ £450 and £300 respectively. If you buy a second hand camera, and don't get on with it, then you can probably sell it on, without taking much of a loss.

Things that I like as a travel camera are that you can charge it from a USB port, it has both a viewfinder which can either be optical and/or electronic. Its a fixed lens, which is fine for pictures of people, buildings and scenery. There is a low powered flash, but it can take reasonable pictures in low light without it, which makes it less obtrusive. I like having physical buttons and controls to adjust the settings.

Downsides are that it doesn't have a zoom, and there are other cameras which are better for tracking fast moving subjects, and the video recording is not very good.

Return to “Photography”