Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Compact digital camera with good optical zoom

Kit, locations and help
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Compact digital camera with good optical zoom

Postby Clariman » May 5th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Like many others, I tend to use my mobile phone for taking pictures when out and about on walks etc. However, the digital zoom is rubbish, so I'm considering buying a compact camera again that takes good photos with an optical zoom. What would you recommend?

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5900 lying around but have no idea if it works or if I still have the charger. I think we also had a small Canon one at one point. I shall look for it.

Any recommendations and other considerations appreciated.

Thanks
Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Compact digital camera with good optical zoom

Postby Clariman » May 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Just found the Canon. An ixus 220hs or h5.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 5th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Clariman wrote:Just found the Canon. An ixus 220hs or h5.

We have the Panasonic DMC-LX7 with a fantastic Leica lens that has 3.8x optical zoom.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/c ... lx7eb.html

Don't know about current availability.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 5th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Mrs S has a Panasonic DM-TZ5 with 10X optical zoom Leica lens. Allowing for the inherent problems with small form cameras, it is terrific.

Again, no idea what current version would be.

For a shirt pocket camera it is amazing.

Slarti

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » May 5th, 2017, 7:55 pm

Clariman wrote:Like many others, I tend to use my mobile phone for taking pictures when out and about on walks etc. However, the digital zoom is rubbish, so I'm considering buying a compact camera again that takes good photos with an optical zoom. What would you recommend?

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5900 lying around but have no idea if it works or if I still have the charger. I think we also had a small Canon one at one point. I shall look for it.

Any recommendations and other considerations appreciated.

Thanks
Clariman

I like Canons. My current version is a PowerShot SX240HS - 20x optical zoom and small enough to fit into a pocket.

Works very well for my needs (holiday snaps).

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 5th, 2017, 11:28 pm

Panasonic TZ100. But I really like the Panasonic LF1 more - out of production but still available and sooo small and portable.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 6th, 2017, 8:08 am

You wont go far wrong with any Canon, Nikon or Panasonic that has the zoom you need and is small enough to be pocketable.

https://www.johnlewis.com/canon-powersh ... n/p2841474

This is probably a good bet for you.

John

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 6th, 2017, 9:18 am

these compact pocketable lightweight cameras are just incredible.

much better than smartphones and much more portable and practical than bridge/SLR types .

ive had a samsung wb600 for ages and now looking for a replacement .

most of my shots are short video's with commentary.

10x optical zoom is easily obtained , many do 20+

spoiled for choice between canon panasonic nikon - samsung have given up .

:)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 6th, 2017, 11:17 am

Thanks everyone. I recharged the old Canon Ixus camera and it had photos from 2013 summer holiday on it, so only 4 years since last used. I took a few shots out and about yesterday so will see what they look like on PC when uploaded. It only has 5x zoom. Do modern ones still need the battery removed to charge it?

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » May 6th, 2017, 11:49 am

Whatever you buy make sure it has a viewfinder for composing shots in bright sunlight. A big sensor like on the Panasonic TZ100 is good news. Zooms more than 10x can compromise quality of shots. DP Review https://www.dpreview.com is a great source of unbiased information and camera decision http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panas ... ix-DMC-LF1 helps to compare cameras features.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. I recharged the old Canon Ixus camera and it had photos from 2013 summer holiday on it, so only 4 years since last used. I took a few shots out and about yesterday so will see what they look like on PC when uploaded. It only has 5x zoom. Do modern ones still need the battery removed to charge it?

I've never seen a camera with a rechargeable battery that didn't need it removed for charging.

John

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 6th, 2017, 2:50 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. I recharged the old Canon Ixus camera and it had photos from 2013 summer holiday on it, so only 4 years since last used. I took a few shots out and about yesterday so will see what they look like on PC when uploaded. It only has 5x zoom. Do modern ones still need the battery removed to charge it?

I've never seen a camera with a rechargeable battery that didn't need it removed for charging.

John

===========

i may not be reading this correctly , here is my experience -

samsung wb600 / panasonic dmc fsc45 / fuji s9600 - can all be charged via usb cable without battery removal .

:|

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 6th, 2017, 2:56 pm

jackdaww wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

===========

i may not be reading this correctly , here is my experience -

samsung wb600 / panasonic dmc fsc45 / fuji s9600 - can all be charged via usb cable without battery removal .

:|

Interesting.

I've always had cameras that required the battery removed and put in the supplied charger.

Perhaps it's because most of my cameras have been DSLRs or high end mirrorless...or maybe they could have been charged via the USB and I never bothered looking!

John

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » May 6th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Ref battery removal for charging, my thinking was .... you don't remove a mobile phone (which includes camera) battery for charging so why do you have to remove a camera batter for charging? I thought they had maybe moved on.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 6th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Clariman wrote:Ref battery removal for charging, my thinking was .... you don't remove a mobile phone (which includes camera) battery for charging so why do you have to remove a camera batter for charging? I thought they had maybe moved on.

Hmmm, it seems that for compacts cameras it is quite normal to be able to charge via the usb cable...have you tried it?

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 6th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Clariman wrote:Ref battery removal for charging, my thinking was .... you don't remove a mobile phone (which includes camera) battery for charging so why do you have to remove a camera batter for charging? I thought they had maybe moved on.

With Mrs S' camera the advantage of removing the battery for charging is that it charges so much faster. Under and hour compared to over 5, ISTR.

Slarti

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » May 6th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Another advantage of a removable battery - you can carry a fully-charged spare for those times when you are away from the mains.

Also, a camera usually lasts a lot longer then a phone and, when its battery degrades, you need to make sure that a built-in one is easy to replace. It is certainly not easy on many mobile phones.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » May 6th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Clariman wrote: Do modern ones still need the battery removed to charge it?

Does that really matter?

I always carry a spare battery (and memory card) with me anyway.

Very annoying having a battery die on you in the middle of a day's walk.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 6th, 2017, 7:44 pm

supremetwo wrote:

Another advantage of a removable battery - you can carry a fully-charged spare for those times when you are away from the mains.

Also, a camera usually lasts a lot longer then a phone and, when its battery degrades, you need to make sure that a built-in one is easy to replace. It is certainly not easy on many mobile phones.

==================================

mobile fone batteries are another story - i am planning a post on the subject - fixed batteries very difficult to replace without breaking the screen=very expensive after any warranty period.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » May 7th, 2017, 11:27 pm

77ss wrote:I like Canons. My current version is a PowerShot SX240HS - 20x optical zoom and small enough to fit into a pocket.

Works very well for my needs (holiday snaps).

Seconded(ish)

We had an Ixus 60 (?) - about 10 years old when it died.

At Xmas we looked at the reviews, then went to look at the cameras. I couldn’t work out how to use half of them, but the powershots were similar enough to the Ixus to get away with, and when you changed the menu it told you on the screen what the mode you selected does. The 720 and 710 are pretty similar for most purposes.

We got the SX710 - doesn't quite fit in a cigarette packet like the Ixus, but is small enough to carry in a coat pocket very easily, and if it is easy to carry, you're more likely to use it. Beware, prices vary a LOT between the 710 and 720.

At Xmas in Currys the 710 was £230 RRP £250, whilst the 720 was £250 RRP £350. Boxing day the 710 was £180. I phoned MrsF - didn't get through. 2 days later I wnet back and they were £250 and £350 again :(
3 weeks later I’m killing time in the airport and picked up at 710 for £170.

Good zoom 30X optical 120X digital, stabilising, fast mode is excellent for motorsport (6fps). As a test I took a picture of a bottle of shampoo on the bathroom shelf using the flash on 30X zoom from about 25 feet away stood in the bedroom - bathroom light was off. On the camera screen I could zoom into the image and read the smallprint on the label.

Paul

Return to “Photography”