Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Is this wise?

Kit, locations and help
Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Is this wise?

Postby Nemo » May 22nd, 2017, 10:00 am

My old trusty Nikon D40 has 'died' and I'm looking for a new DSLR. I have a preference for another Nikon.

I was looking at a Nikon D5600 Digital SLR Camera & AF-P 18-140mm VR Lens (£899). I've just found out that my old lenses should fit a new Nikon (f mount), they are a Nikon DX, 11-55mm and a Nikon DX 55-200mm. Both were budget type lenses, about 10 years old, but are in good condition. Using these would enable me to buy a more expensive camera, possibly a D7200 (£849).

I'm wondering if this is a wise thing to do given the way things change over time - the parable of new wine/old bottles springs to mind

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Is this wise?

Postby kyu66 » May 22nd, 2017, 11:18 am

Nemo wrote:My old trusty Nikon D40 has 'died' and I'm looking for a new DSLR. I have a preference for another Nikon.

I was looking at a Nikon D5600 Digital SLR Camera & AF-P 18-140mm VR Lens (£899). I've just found out that my old lenses should fit a new Nikon (f mount), they are a Nikon DX, 11-55mm and a Nikon DX 55-200mm. Both were budget type lenses, about 10 years old, but are in good condition. Using these would enable me to buy a more expensive camera, possibly a D7200 (£849).

I'm wondering if this is a wise thing to do given the way things change over time - the parable of new wine/old bottles springs to mind

If you are happy with the results produced by your D40 and existing lenses and if the additional features of the D7200 over the D5600 such as weather sealing and having a pentaprism viewfinder are not that important then why not just get a D5600 body?

Modern digital camera bodies wear out/need replacing much more frequently than lenses, so the general advice is spend money on the lenses (if you need the quality/speed) and upgrade bodies as and when required (e.g. component failure, newer features appear that will enhance your photography).

kyu66

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 22nd, 2017, 12:23 pm

You could just get a new body and continue to use the old lenses but...

they are about as budget as Nikon lenses get so you would probably get better results getting new lenses.

You have many options depending on your needs:

1. Get the D5600 with the VR18-140 lens this will give all the reach you need for wide angle to telephoto (24-200mm 35mm equiv) I use 2 lenses to cover that range and they are good for 99% of what I do. ( They did cost about £3k though)

2. Get the more expensive camera, if if has more features that you need and use it with the old lenses. Bear in mind though you will need to change lenses to cover the same ground that the one lens above would give you (letting dust into the sensor every time you do that) and you don't have the benefit of VR.

3. Get a new body that suits you and buy the "nifty fifty" 50mm f1.8 for peanuts and use that to see if you like the extra quality that a fixed lens gives you...then get the bug and sell the old lenses!

Bear in mind I haven't looked at the relative merits of the cameras mentioned nor the lenses (apart from the "nifty" which I know gives great results.

Caveat...You don't mention what sort of photography you mainly do which is the most important consideration really.

John

Nemo
2 Lemon pips

Postby Nemo » May 22nd, 2017, 4:24 pm

Thanks for the replies, problem now solved!

The assistant in the shop gave me a camera with a new 18mm - 55mm lens and the difference was amazing. I realised that the old lenses (10 - 12 years old?) were past their best. Tried the 5300 and 5600 Nikons but they just didn't feel right (too small and light). Ended up with a Nikon D7200 and a Nikon 18mm - 105mm lens - blew the budget :)

I can probably manage with just one lens now - I never found the 18 mm - 55mm was quite adequate, although the lady in the shop said it was the only one that she used.

Quite an interesting day.

aveat...You don't mention what sort of photography you mainly do which is the most important consideration really.

Just a hobby John - I've also got two compacts that I use, and which take great pictures. I just like DSLRs - more fun if you have the time.

Return to “Photography”