Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dust in lens

Kit, locations and help
swill453
Lemon Half

Dust in lens

Postby swill453 » September 2nd, 2017, 6:50 pm

I only ever use a compact camera, and probably don't treat it very well, typically stuffing it in a pocket. I do this on the basis that if it's awkward to carry around then I'm less likely to have it with me when I want it.

What I find though, is that the act of switching it on, or using the zoom, tends to suck dust inside the lens and it rests on the inner surfaces.

My latest, a Panasonic TZ60, has been affected more than previous cameras I've had.

In bright light situations this isn't really a problem, as it doesn't noticeably affect the images (to my satisfaction anyway). However in some low light, or high zoom conditions, with oblique light, it can reflect/refract the light and spoil the picture.

Does anyone know any way of getting rid of the inner dust? Would a shop be able to give it a clean/service? Or do I just accept that the way I treat the camera means I have to change it after a few years when the build-up of crud is too much?

Scott.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Dust in lens

Postby Itsallaguess » September 2nd, 2017, 8:09 pm

swill453 wrote:
Does anyone know any way of getting rid of the inner dust?

Would a shop be able to give it a clean/service?

There's a really quite comprehensive video here showing how to strip and clean the Lumix TZ series lens set here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YOCL6JBolM

I'm not really pointing this out with a view to expecting you to do this yourself, but really to highlight that it clearly looks to be something that's serviceable by people with the right level of experience.

Hopefully someone here will be able to offer some contact information for good camera-service companies?

As an aside, how come no-one ever sneezes during these types of intricate YouTube videos? :O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » September 2nd, 2017, 8:55 pm

In my experience (with SLRs) for imaging, dust on the lens is rarely a show stopper, and if it bothers you can usually be blown off with gentle use of compressed air or a "lens-pen". I rarely bother with a lens cap for my favourite pro lens....

On the other hand dust on the sensor utterly ruins images and requires a total stripdown.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 2nd, 2017, 9:02 pm

BreakoutBoy wrote:In my experience (with SLRs) for imaging, dust on the lens is rarely a show stopper, and if it bothers you can usually be blown off with gentle use of compressed air or a "lens-pen". I rarely bother with a lens cap for my favourite pro lens....

On the other hand dust on the sensor utterly ruins images and requires a total stripdown.

I think the OP is referring to dust IN the lens rather rather than ON the lens. It gets sucked in when the zoom extends. Difficult to clean unless you strip the thing down...which apparently is possible, not something I'd like to try though. I can't see it being a cost effective repair either.

John

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 2nd, 2017, 11:42 pm

redsturgeon wrote:I think the OP is referring to dust IN the lens rather rather than ON the lens. It gets sucked in when the zoom extends.

Yes.

Scott.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » September 4th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Like the OP I carry a compact camera about in my pocket. I put it in a resealable plastic bag, you can get ones just the right size, 100mm x 150mm. They do not last very long but are cheap enough to throw away after a few outings and do not increase the size of the camera. I am still using a pack of 100 which I liberated from work about 5 years ago, but they are cheap to buy on ebay,

Sorry, cannot help with the original question!

Return to “Photography”