Remove ads

Absolute Space

Scientific discovery and discussion
GoSeigen
Lemon Slice
Posts: 320
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 11:14 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Absolute Space

#111504

Postby GoSeigen » January 18th, 2018, 8:11 am

1nv35t wrote:
stewamax wrote:
Though after Brexit who knows what will happen.

But - hold on - oh no - the pound (mass) is now officially defined in terms of the kilogram.
So we will need a new one-pound standard chunk of platinum-iridium stored in the Tower of London guarded by a Yeoman Warder of the Pound.

More than happy to go back to when a pound was 240 silver sterlings, that collectively weighed a Pound of silver. I'll be happy to take a alternative Kg approximation without having to resort to absolute precision.

So much easier, and meaningful rather than the fractal banking system we endure today.


Yeah, and hopefully everybody over the age of 65 has already died off from a nasty disease or starvation, nostalgically clutching their bags of silver!


Base 12 was convenient also, a dozen eggs could be split equally 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 ways.


It wasn't base 12, it was base 10, and still is.

GS

XFool
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1440
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm
Been thanked: 109 times

Re: Absolute Space

#111513

Postby XFool » January 18th, 2018, 8:44 am

1nv35t wrote:
stewamax wrote:
Though after Brexit who knows what will happen.

But - hold on - oh no - the pound (mass) is now officially defined in terms of the kilogram.
So we will need a new one-pound standard chunk of platinum-iridium stored in the Tower of London guarded by a Yeoman Warder of the Pound.

More than happy to go back to when a pound was 240 silver sterlings, that collectively weighed a Pound of silver. I'll be happy to take a alternative Kg approximation without having to resort to absolute precision.

"Bring back the Ten Bob note!" :lol:

1nv35t wrote:Base 12 was convenient also, a dozen eggs could be split equally 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12 ways.

The 'old system' used a variety of (often mixed) bases, including binary. We still use something related to base 12 with how we measure time and angles. Though in the latter case the trend is clearly in favour of decimal representation of degrees etc.

stewamax
Lemon Slice
Posts: 324
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Absolute Space

#111945

Postby stewamax » January 19th, 2018, 6:02 pm

The French Revolution ushered in decimal time, with 10 hour days and 100 minutes to the hour. Surprisingly it was not popular, although those who didn't clap loudly possibly had an enforced appointment with M. Guillotine.

All time-zones still being offset from GMT must really rankle them, and I worry about this week's visit from President Macron: "You can borrow our length of embroidery showing the mighty French steamroller crushing the moribund English. In return you will adopt a new system of decimal time and with the Élysée Palace as the meridian".

colin
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 125
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Absolute Space

#112035

Postby colin » January 20th, 2018, 11:30 am

IF you could stand at the very position of where TBB occurred - would you now have absolute space? EVERYTHING now has an absolute place relative to a fixed place? Notwithstanding I suppose everything getting further and further away... (I may have now broken my own thought!).


I have no idea if this is the currently accepted science or not but there are some very pretty pictures.

https://www.quora.com/If-the-universe-is-expanding-at-what-point-is-it-expanding-from

No Brian Cox has never really explained anything adequately to me either.

stewamax
Lemon Slice
Posts: 324
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 2:40 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Absolute Space

#112193

Postby stewamax » January 20th, 2018, 9:45 pm

As others have pointed out, it is misleading to assume that the Big Bang occurred somewhere, because this implies that the ‘somewhere’ existed within (or distant from) something else, say 200 zillion miles from XYZ. At TBB, there was no space for it to happen 'within' – TBB created the space – and no time (which is why 'what happened before TBB' is a loaded question because when time does not 'elapse'*, the notion of 'before' loses its everyday meaning).

* - in the sense that a series of events, with some occurring before others, gives the impression of time 'elapsing'

madhatter
Lemon Pip
Posts: 94
Joined: November 12th, 2016, 9:25 pm
Has thanked: 129 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: Absolute Space

#112262

Postby madhatter » January 21st, 2018, 11:34 am

At TBB, there was no space for it to happen 'within' – TBB created the space


Presumably this is why the cosmic microwave background radiation (often described as the afterglow of TBB) is *almost the same temperature in any direction.

*The ‘almost’ also generating a lot of excitement.

Bluestone77
Posts: 23
Joined: July 9th, 2017, 4:21 pm
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Absolute Space

#112668

Postby Bluestone77 » January 22nd, 2018, 10:16 pm

I find this stuff very interesting and would recommend several of the Fermilab videos on Youtube by Dr Jon Lincoln.
Why you cannot travel faster than the speed of light:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JCoIGyGxc
The Big Bang:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gZDa6d93ywE
They are very watchable and there are several more.

1nv35t
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1676
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:18 pm
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: Absolute Space

#113381

Postby 1nv35t » January 25th, 2018, 11:13 pm

stewamax wrote:As others have pointed out, it is misleading to assume that the Big Bang occurred somewhere, because this implies that the ‘somewhere’ existed within (or distant from) something else, say 200 zillion miles from XYZ. At TBB, there was no space for it to happen 'within' – TBB created the space – and no time (which is why 'what happened before TBB' is a loaded question because when time does not 'elapse'*, the notion of 'before' loses its everyday meaning).

* - in the sense that a series of events, with some occurring before others, gives the impression of time 'elapsing'

At the equator the earth spins at around 1000mph. The earth travels around the sun at around 66,000 mph. The sun rotates around the Milky Way at around 483,000 mph. And the MW is traveling through the Cosmic Background at around 1.3 million mph. Tallies to around 1.8 million mph, about 0.27% the speed of light.

If at the speed of light time stops, flip things around and count light speed as the zero rather than the extreme and relatively we're moving at a 99.73% speed to that - we have loads of space and time. As time passes however we might see that gap close ... but measured from the inside looking out see that as speeds increasing - apparent universe expansion. If something falls into a black hole we perceive it as speeding up towards the speed of light, but again flipped around could be considered as being slowed down till it/time stood still.

The inference of multiple black holes is that the BB occurred on the outside and we're within that. Black holes are in effect direct links to that outer region of nothing (no time) all around us.

Dod101
Lemon Slice
Posts: 660
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:33 am
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 239 times

Re: Absolute Space

#113390

Postby Dod101 » January 26th, 2018, 7:27 am

Bluestone77 wrote:I find this stuff very interesting and would recommend several of the Fermilab videos on Youtube by Dr Jon Lincoln.
Why you cannot travel faster than the speed of light:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JCoIGyGxc
The Big Bang:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gZDa6d93ywE
They are very watchable and there are several more.


Thanks. AS you say very good and much better than Brian Cox.
Dod

colin
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 125
Joined: December 10th, 2016, 7:16 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Absolute Space

#113586

Postby colin » January 26th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Tallies to around 1.8 million mph, about 0.27% the speed of light.

Only if everything is moving in the same direction surely?


Return to “Science”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest