Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Hyperloopy?

Scientific discovery and discussion
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Hyperloopy?

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 10th, 2020, 3:53 pm

An article in today's Guardian states that the Dutch think that the Hyperloop may be a realistic project. Perhaps I've been listening to too many sceptics and I'm no engineer but it seems to be a difficult problem to solve at a economic price. I'd be interested to know whether others think it's realistic and feasible or not.

Plans are being drawn up for Amsterdam to be connected to other European cities by the futuristic high-speed mode of transportation comprising a magnetic hovertrain in an air-free tube able to travel at speeds of over 600mph due to the lack of friction and drag.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -of-travel

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Hyperloopy?

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 10th, 2020, 5:30 pm

There are various such efforts around the world. I don't know anything about the Dutch folks you mentioned.

You just missed a chance to invest (through crowdfunding) in one such company, based in Poland. But their pitch talks of freight first, to learn from experience and sort out possible issues before taking passengers. And for journeys a lot longer than the likes of Amsterdam-Paris: the kind of thing that would be days not hours by road. Maybe to get our supplies of citrus from southern Spain to Calais, for instance ...

Return to “Science”