Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A Chinese COVID19 Vaccine

Scientific discovery and discussion
vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

Re: A Chinese COVID19 Vaccine

Postby vagrantbrain » August 27th, 2020, 11:52 pm

So long as viable research into a vaccine is going in the west theres not a chance in hell that the US will take the Chinese vaccine, the loss of face would just be too much. I think the US would do everything possible to discredit the efficiency and safety of the vaccine, same as they did with the Russian one, until such times as an American company can develop one (or reverse engineer the Chinese one!). The cynic in me says the US vaccine will be "free" to other countries, but come with a whole load of geopolitical conditions and concessions attached.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 28th, 2020, 1:12 pm

As with the Russian one, there will be politics to any vaccine, and it will be hard for us to distinguish the politics from the reality. For those in vulnerable demographics, even a vaccine that has cut corners (as we're told the Russian one must have done) may be a Good Bet.

I think China - or indeed anyone else (with the possible exception of Trump - though he'd be taking on his own country's pharma if he tries to cause trouble) - will be happy to export a vaccine without regard to politics, subject only to manufacturing capacity and logistics. And costs.

I'll take the measure of what is a good bet as how widely it is approved by regulatory authorities around the world across countries whose geopolitics are not closely aligned. And I'd be inclined to weight EU approval above any other single authority around the world.

So long as viable research into a vaccine is going in the west theres not a chance in hell that the US will take the Chinese vaccine, the loss of face would just be too much.

They'd find a way. It would be the private sector, not government, and they'd give it a nice patriotic American badge with Chinese references relegated to a disused lavatory with a "Beware of the Leopard" sign. An American company (no need to mention if they're a mere importer) has worked with our partners around the world to bring us this great breakthrough! They might indeed find it easier to take than the UK, where posturing politicians are much more in charge and don't dare to risk displeasing Trump.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 28th, 2020, 4:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:..a nice patriotic American badge with Chinese references relegated to a disused lavatory with a "Beware of the Leopard" sign. ...

In a locked filing cabinet of course.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 12th, 2020, 10:16 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:They'd find a way. It would be the private sector, not government, and they'd give it a nice patriotic American badge with Chinese references relegated to a disused lavatory with a "Beware of the Leopard" sign. An American company (no need to mention if they're a mere importer) has worked with our partners around the world to bring us this great breakthrough! They might indeed find it easier to take than the UK, where posturing politicians are much more in charge and don't dare to risk displeasing Trump.

Interesting news from Astrazeneca about bringing us a previously politically-unpalatable solution. Not quite as I suggested, but the outline was right: they're going to bring us the Russian Sputnik badged as a collaboration. And indeed, it will be a collaboration, with AZN tweaking it to a joint effort, running its own trials, and dealing with Western regulators, politicians and media.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » December 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Snorvey wrote:IF China has a working COVID-19 vaccine......what do we think will happen?

It's said it will distribute the vaccine to it's partners in Africa and the Middle East first, but what about the rest of us? Trump said recently 'I don't wanna talk about China' and Pence called it the 'China Virus'. I know it's an election year, but the US administration clearly puts the blame on China for failing to control/report the virus in it's early days.

Such a vaccine would probably give China a huge advantage over the West.

Surely the right thing to do would be to share it with the rest of us. But why should they? Would the US do that if they were first?

Those interested in 'Vaccine Politics' may find the following of interest:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11 ... obal-en-GB

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 12th, 2020, 11:54 pm

77ss wrote:Those interested in 'Vaccine Politics' may find the following of interest:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11 ... obal-en-GB

Thanks for posting. Not so much about our politics, just that China is taking the global lead that a generation ago would most likely have come from the US. I wonder why it's so little reported here?

Return to “Science”