Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Space station images

Scientific discovery and discussion
Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Space station images

Postby Sorcery » January 24th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Sorry, source is Daily Mail but then they do good science images and photos. In this case a video : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... louds.html

Not only we do have some amazing lightning, we have blue lightning into space. None of that is what's getting me worked up, it's something else that isn't being discussed. In the video entitled "Genesis of blue lightning into the stratosphere detected from ISS" the video shows some normal lightning (I guess), then something that looks like an impact, with a spherical wave spreading outwards, and then almost in response, the blue lightning into space.

Any ideas what the "impact wave" might be caused by? Why is that not the main course for the article? Funny what you can find when "Polite Discussions" is closed ;)

Golam
Lemon Pip

Re: Space station images

Postby Golam » January 25th, 2021, 6:18 am

For those interested in outer space images generated by the space station, take a look at https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html
You may set this up so as to have a space screen saver image that changes daily. Have been using for years. It is most informative and inspirational. Not all daily images are from the space station but most are. The images often lead me to think about the infinite nature of space and time. Now that concept could lead to a really long thread !

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 25th, 2021, 10:08 am

Sorcery wrote:Any ideas what the "impact wave" might be caused by? Why is that not the main course for the article? Funny what you can find when "Polite Discussions" is closed ;)

I'm only speculating, but the cause of the impact wave may be regarded as known so well that it needs no mention. As for the article, an image does mention it as "Concentric expanding rings formed by electron and nitrogen collisions", "energetic electrons and their antimatter partners, positrons" is also mentioned .

Here is what I suspect happend. There was a coronal mass ejection that reached the earth. As we are talking of a sphear the mass would impact at one place first, expanding outward as the mass continues to arrive. Coronal ejections are charged particles, hence the phrases "electron and nitrogen collisions" etc.

I think that the article is more about earth weather, rather than space weather. Hence the lack of mention about the initial cause.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » January 25th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
Sorcery wrote:Any ideas what the "impact wave" might be caused by? Why is that not the main course for the article? Funny what you can find when "Polite Discussions" is closed ;)

I'm only speculating, but the cause of the impact wave may be regarded as known so well that it needs no mention. As for the article, an image does mention it as "Concentric expanding rings formed by electron and nitrogen collisions", "energetic electrons and their antimatter partners, positrons" is also mentioned .

Here is what I suspect happend. There was a coronal mass ejection that reached the earth. As we are talking of a sphear the mass would impact at one place first, expanding outward as the mass continues to arrive. Coronal ejections are charged particles, hence the phrases "electron and nitrogen collisions" etc.

I think that the article is more about earth weather, rather than space weather. Hence the lack of mention about the initial cause.

I am too puzzled by the video to really offer any sensible explanation. Some afterthoughts though, the expanding circle seems to be on the night side of the earth, if it were a coronal mass impact is it possible to have come from the sun and enter on the night side? The ring expands very fast until it perhaps covers a small continent in size, before disappearing. Given the lack of reported asteroid impacts, electrical activity sounds promising. There seems to be a lot of atmospheric activity going on that we never see from the ground.

Return to “Science”