Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa, for Donating to support the site

Human alien interactions

Scientific discovery and discussion
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Human alien interactions

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2022, 8:30 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:So NASA's new James Webb telescope provides proof of life, maybe 10 light years away. Primitive life is found on Europa or under the surface of Mars. Or archaeologists find controversial evidence of past visits, or radio signals show that intelligent life is definitely out there.

Then what? Really, what? It just confirms what statistics has proven. We are not alone. Which I think we have all known for a long time.

Don't be so sure about the "statistics". I've been to a couple of public lectures on the matter in recent years, one at UCL by a Prof. there, an exo-planetologist (?) I believe, and he spent an hour going through a much-more-in-depth version of the Drake equation, working from the only known sample-size-of-one case we have, our own.

He started at big bang and star formation and tried to assign probabilities to each event on the path to us here and now, including factors like the effect of a large moon on evolution (and, of course, what led to it: collision of two similar sized planets that happened to result in creating such a moon), not to mention that little event that happened 65million years ago that resulted in giving mammals a chance, and a whole myriad of others that I can't begin to remember; as I say, an hour's worth.

His bottom line on cumulating all the odds was not only that we are "alone" but that we shouldn't be here! Indeed, that statistically, technologically intelligent life shouldn't have appeared in the universe yet. A similar lecture by an evolutionary zoologist at Imperial focusing from his expertise came to the same conclusion.

Now, of course, statistics aren't temporal predictions, as we can get three once-on-a-century storms in a decade, and the problem with the Drake equation and similar efforts are that they are highly dependent on the assumptions made and the probabilities plugged into them. And, just in case anyone thinks I'm proposing an argument, I'm not taking a stand myself, my only point being that it's not as "all known" as you imply: heck, even Prof. Brian Cox has said he thinks we may well be alone! ;)

This sort of stuff is all "pot boiler." Stuff to bring in money for the presenter and possible encourage young people to study science but most of the folk who do this come over as insincere, trying to interest people who are not interested and making it so that any one who is interested is bored and turns off.

The Sky at Night with Patrick Moore was presented for enthusiasts, the current versions are trying to get more viewers and turn off the folk who are interested and don't want a dumbed down presentation.

Too harsh! IMO. I don't think The Sky at Night has been dumbed down.

[ From what you say you cannot possibly have seen, or now remember, The Sky at Night episode* of long ago which literally sent me into an apoplectic frenzy and a late night phone call to the BBC DEMANDING they let me speak to "the X%&v£K&!* programme director Right Now!"; "Please don't swear Sir". That episode - made by some muppet who then worked at the BBC (and was responsible for several other programme desecrations, including I believe The Boat Race) - was both unforgettable and indescribable (OK, I could have a go!). ]

odysseus2000 wrote:Any statements made by the "pot boiler" folk are there to entertain the audience and any kind of statistical analysis without statistics is not science.

Doesn't sound like the above mentioned lecture.

* Oh, and did I mention this episode was entirely a discussion between the then Astronomer Royal and Patrick Moore? Ye Gods! :evil:

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 27th, 2022, 9:39 pm

Too harsh! IMO. I don't think The Sky at Night has been dumbed down.

[ From what you say you cannot possibly have seen, or now remember, The Sky at Night episode* of long ago which literally sent me into an apoplectic frenzy and a late night phone call to the BBC DEMANDING they let me speak to "the X%&v£K&!* programme director Right Now!"; "Please don't swear Sir". That episode - made by some muppet who then worked at the BBC (and was responsible for several other programme desecrations, including I believe The Boat Race) - was both unforgettable and indescribable (OK, I could have a go!). ]

odysseus2000 wrote:
Any statements made by the "pot boiler" folk are there to entertain the audience and any kind of statistical analysis without statistics is not science.

Doesn't sound like the above mentioned lecture.

* Oh, and did I mention this episode was entirely a discussion between the then Astronomer Royal and Patrick Moore? Ye Gods! :evil:

From the perspective of a professional physicist the Sky at Night is not even a shadow of what it was when presented by Patrick Moore, but a lot depends on the viewers physics and astronomy knowledge. I spoke with another professional physicists and knowledgeable amateur astronomer who was also very negative on the show since Patrick Moore died, but obviously it still attracts an audience but that doesn't include me.

As an alumni of Manchester I get various opportunities to attend lectures by Manchester academics and I took a business partner to one presented by Brian Cox. I realise that for a general audience one needs a general presentation and he did admit to being very influenced by a book on 18th century physics, but it didn't come over as anything special and afterwards someone from the university was telling me how Brian is a practising academic and works hard etc. That was amusing as no full time academic has the time to travel all over the place giving lectures especially on stuff that he/she does not research, in this case advances in biology.

As always it comes down to technical knowledge and personal experience and what one expects and gets from a lecture/TV program.

Regards,

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2022, 9:51 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
XFool wrote:Too harsh! IMO. I don't think The Sky at Night has been dumbed down.

From the perspective of a professional physicist the Sky at Night is not even a shadow of what it was when presented by Patrick Moore, but a lot depends on the viewers physics and astronomy knowledge.

The presentation is certainly different, but "dumbed down" ? I am usually pretty sensitive to dumbing down.

odysseus2000 wrote:I spoke with another professional physicists and knowledgeable amateur astronomer who was also very negative on the show since Patrick Moore died, but obviously it still attracts an audience but that doesn't include me.

But it was always a programme for interested amateurs, not for professional astronomers or physicists.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 27th, 2022, 9:58 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Despite knowing when life first appeared on Earth, scientists still do not understand how life occurred, which has important implications for the likelihood of finding life elsewhere in the universe. A new paper shows how an analysis using a statistical technique called Bayesian inference could shed light on how complex extraterrestrial life might evolve in alien worlds.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200518162639.htm

Not sure if you saw it, but there was an interesting article in the Telegraph just a few days ago related to DNA -

Life on Earth was started by a meteorite, new evidence suggests -

There are few questions bigger than how life on Earth began, and a new study may have finally proven that our existence can be traced back to a meteorite landing on our planet billions of years ago.

Experts have long debated how Earth, just one of trillions of planets created in the universe’s 14-billion-year existence, managed to cultivate life.

A leading theory has claimed that the core materials that make up DNA were transported to Earth from space via a meteorite around 3.5 billion years ago when our planet was a fiery hellscape in its celestial infancy.

During this time it was constantly peppered by meteorites and comets due to a chaotic and formative solar system, and it is possible at least one impact brought with it the constituent parts of DNA.

But while this theory had much support, it has had one glaring weakness; until now, only two of the four main components of DNA had been found in space rocks.

However, fresh analysis of three meteorites using state-of-the-art methods has spotted evidence of all four, proving that the necessary jigsaw pieces for life are indeed found in space.

Scientists say it is possible that these basic ingredients could have been deposited on Earth by a meteorite before life began.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/26/life-earth-started-meteorite-new-evidence-suggests/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 27th, 2022, 9:59 pm

One of the comments made by Lee Cronin (see link upthread):

The reason we haven't found aliens yet is because we haven't worked out what life is.

The Fermi Paradox is discussed at 1:00:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZecQ64l-gKM

RC

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 27th, 2022, 11:05 pm

Anyone who thinks aliens have ever visited the earth is wrong. There is no other intelligent life in the universe, just as there is no God.

Everyone with a functioning brain knows that. You're wasting your time. Why not take up knitting, you might end up with something useful.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2022, 11:22 pm

CliffEdge wrote:There is no other intelligent life in the universe...

Everyone with a functioning brain knows that.

How come you know something that is impossible to know?

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 27th, 2022, 11:42 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:One of the comments made by Lee Cronin (see link upthread):

The reason we haven't found aliens yet is because we haven't worked out what life is.

The Fermi Paradox is discussed at 1:00:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZecQ64l-gKM

RC

Lee Cronin is imho amusing and wrong.

We can calculate how much power is radiated from a radio antenna and measure it and we get the same. So in this field there are no mysteries, nothing to understand. If aliens exist and are more advanced than we are and want to communicate they could do it through radio.

The next question is if aliens exist and want to communicate would they want to talk to all humans or just those who we elect to lead us?

There is an entire branch of UFO enthusiasts who argue that aliens do communicate with a small select group of humans, the more famous of these being President Eisenhower. I have no idea if this has any basis in truth.

However, what I am interested in are experimental signals of the existence of aliens. If such signals are real then whether Cronin is right or wrong does not matter.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 27th, 2022, 11:43 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Anyone who thinks aliens have ever visited the earth is wrong. There is no other intelligent life in the universe, just as there is no God.

Everyone with a functioning brain knows that. You're wasting your time. Why not take up knitting, you might end up with something useful.

Can you prove these assertions?

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 27th, 2022, 11:47 pm

Scientists say it is possible that these basic ingredients could have been deposited on Earth by a meteorite before life began.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... -suggests/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

This is now a very old theory, first put forward by Hoyle et al:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermi ... %80%932001),later%20proved%20to%20be%20correct.

Regards,

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » April 28th, 2022, 1:28 am

odysseus2000 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:Anyone who thinks aliens have ever visited the earth is wrong. There is no other intelligent life in the universe, just as there is no God.

Can you prove these assertions?

Regards,

A friend of mine knitted me a soft cloth which is very useful for cleaning the screen on my pc.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 28th, 2022, 11:34 am

odysseus2000 wrote:The next question is if aliens exist and want to communicate would they want to talk to all humans or just those who we elect to lead us?

Why would they want to communicate with us?
Would they even think to try?
It's not our first thought when we find a new organism.

A couple of years ago in The Lakes we came across some huge antheaps peopled by some huge ants. We did not think about communication.

In general I would say that mankind's first thought is 'is it dangerous', then 'Is it useful' then 'is it edible'.
So any interstellar visitors may have taken a few specimens and thereafter lost interest.

Recolonise the earth from Mars... aiui anyone residing long on Mars will not be able to return to the earth as they will be too damaged.

V8

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » April 28th, 2022, 12:10 pm

88V8 wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:The next question is if aliens exist and want to communicate would they want to talk to all humans or just those who we elect to lead us?

A couple of years ago in The Lakes we came across some huge antheaps peopled by some huge ants. We did not think about communication.

In general I would say that mankind's first thought is 'is it dangerous', then 'Is it useful' then 'is it edible'.
So any interstellar visitors may have taken a few specimens and thereafter lost interest.

Recolonise the earth from Mars... aiui anyone residing long on Mars will not be able to return to the earth as they will be too damaged.

V8

As I said Mars isn't ideal real estate. And certainly anyone spending a large part of their life on Mars (whether born on Mars or an immigrant to Mars) would adapt to the lower gravity which would make recolonisation more difficult but it would still be possible. Although difficult we Earthmen could almost certainly colonise larger SuperEarths with gravity upto about twice that on Earth if we could find one and get there (and possibly even higher gravity planets upto something approaching 4.5 times Earth's gravity ).

https://astronomy.com/news/2018/09/gravity-to-the-max

Finding the gravitational limit of the human body is something that’s better done before we land on a massive new planet. Now, in a paper published on the pre-print server arXiv, three physicists, claim that the maximum gravitational field humans could survive long-term is four-and-a-half times the gravity on Earth.

Or, at least you could if you are an Icelandic strongman – and Game of Thrones monster – who can walk with more than half a metric ton on your back. For mere mortals, the researchers say, it would need to be a little weaker.
Poljak and his colleagues estimate that aiming for an exoplanet with 3 to 4 times Earth’s gravity would be more realistic for an average person – and they would still need rigorous training to get their muscle strength up that of an elite athlete.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » April 28th, 2022, 12:57 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:As I said Mars isn't ideal real estate.

Yes, as Elon Musk describes it, it's a doer-upper :)

RC

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 28th, 2022, 1:04 pm

88V8 wrote:

V8

I don’t think these analogies are correct.

When Europeans arrived in South America, North America, south sea islands & Australasia the first thing they did was communicate with the locals.

If more advanced aliens arrive or have arrived would they not potentially follow the European & native culture approach & communicate with the leaders?

Regards,

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 28th, 2022, 1:18 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

When Europeans arrived in South America, North America, south sea islands & Australasia the first thing they did was communicate with the locals.

If more advanced aliens arrive or have arrived would they not potentially follow the European & native culture approach & communicate with the leaders?

Regards,

How'd that work out for the dodo :(

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 28th, 2022, 2:12 pm

servodude wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8

Regards,

How'd that work out for the dodo :(

Not good, and neither did it work out particularly well for all the peoples that were colonised, enslaved, massacred, had their land, resources & treasures stolen, their wildlife killed and their populations infected with non-native diseases, sometimes purposely.

Our own history of more technologically advanced civilisations (Europeans) arriving in less so places is what informed Stephen Hawking's (and others) "we should keep our head down" view.

https://suquamish.nsn.us/home/about-us/chief-seattle-speech/

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 28th, 2022, 2:40 pm

It is certainly possible that an alien human interaction could be very bad for humans, but if aliens have visited they have, so far at least, not been hostile.

If there is to be a human alien communication it seems probable that the aliens would communicate with leaders rather than ordinary people and of course many of the conspiracy theories assume this has happened, but I have no idea.

Regards,

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 28th, 2022, 3:06 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:It is certainly possible that an alien human interaction could be very bad for humans, but if aliens have visited they have, so far at least, not been hostile.

If there is to be a human alien communication it seems probable that the aliens would communicate with leaders rather than ordinary people and of course many of the conspiracy theories assume this has happened, but I have no idea.

Regards,

Communicate in secret with some academics from the top universities I can understand, but with our 'leaders'? God help us!! :o

I can just imagine the Daily Mail: 'Flying saucers in UK to pay council tax or be repossessed!'

Until the human race has learned to control population growth, pollution, aggression, nuclear weapons etc, I think the aliens will be content to merely observe.

I wonder if they would know the difference between PM's Question time and episodes of Mr Bean? ;)

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 28th, 2022, 4:29 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:It is certainly possible that an alien human interaction could be very bad for humans, but if aliens have visited they have, so far at least, not been hostile.

Uh? Sorry, but how does what you now say above tie up with the "measurable health effects on people who say they have been abducted" that you keep on mentioning as a major point?

Abduction is not "communication", it has been (by all accounts) of "ordinary people" and, even if, somehow, you don't count abduction itself as "hostile", certainly alleged health effects are (esp. when you consider what some abductees say was done to them).

And then the world wide cattle mutilations that you've also raised? These are your points and they certainly sound hostile to me!

Return to “Science”