Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

OpenAI \ ChatGPT

Scientific discovery and discussion
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: OpenAI \ ChatGPT

Postby swill453 » December 6th, 2022, 4:42 pm

mc2fool wrote:AI: The peregrine falcon has four legs. Two of its legs are used for walking and the other two, which are called talons, are used for grasping its prey.

Now excuse me, I have to go off and perform open heart surgery...

Scott.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 6th, 2022, 10:02 pm

mc2fool wrote:It's a laugh a minute with this thing, could even be a Monty Python sketch! It's pretty good at bullsh*ting!

Human: which is the fastest flying mammal?
AI: The fastest flying mammal is the peregrine falcon. It can reach speeds of up to 322 km/hour!

Human: is the peregrine falcon a mammal?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a mammal. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: Is the peregrine falcon not a bird?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a bird. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Which perhaps goes some way to illustrate why autonomous road vehicles might still be further away than many people realise.

Remember! Artificial Intelligence agents are not actually intelligent.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 7th, 2022, 3:59 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:It's a laugh a minute with this thing, could even be a Monty Python sketch! It's pretty good at bullsh*ting!

Human: which is the fastest flying mammal?
AI: The fastest flying mammal is the peregrine falcon. It can reach speeds of up to 322 km/hour!

Human: is the peregrine falcon a mammal?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a mammal. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: Is the peregrine falcon not a bird?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a bird. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Which perhaps goes some way to illustrate why autonomous road vehicles might still be further away than many people realise.

Remember! Artificial Intelligence agents are not actually intelligent.

There is something even more disturbing about this AI in that, even more than the waffle and BS evident in my post above, I think it is actually making stuff up to justify itself. I challenged it further on the peregrine falcon being a mammal and asked it for its source for that. I don't have the transcripts any more but I do have some notes and my browser history and after a sequence of questions it said that "the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) has many characteristics of mammals, such as fur, four legs, and mammary glands" was a quote directly from the article:

Morphology and Biomechanics of the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) Wing and Tail by Kelli L. Larson, Jonathan D. Barlow, and Kim S. Bostwick published in The Auk: Ornithological Advances, vol. 134 (July 2017) pp. 669-687.

OK, so asked if it could give me a link to it and it gave me a link but that gave me page not found, so I told it that and it gave me another with the same result, and again another couple of times. Googling for the article produced no result, however, by going up the path with one of the links it gave up I found the journal. It's at https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/134/3, but there is no such article in that issue. Further, the page numbers given are taken by other articles.

I gave the AI the URL and asked it if that was where the article came from and it said yes, and despite my telling it it's not there it was insistent, until I pointed out that the page numbers were used by other articles at which point it agreed the article wasn't listed but insisted it did exist and suggested I contact customer support at the The Auk!!

And then, later, it told be the Frigatebird was (also) both a bird and a mammal, and on questioning it it claimed it came from:

The Milk Gland Morphology of the Magnificent Frigatebird published in July 2017 in Volume 220 Issue 9 of the Journal of Experimental Biology. Much the same story as before with it only giving me page-not-found links, but I found the issue at https://journals.biologists.com/jeb/issue/220/9 and, again, there's no such article in it. Oh, and google finds nothing too....

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 7th, 2022, 4:42 pm

...Have you managed to find Donald Trump's speechwriter? :)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 7th, 2022, 4:59 pm

mc2fool wrote:And then, later, it told be the Frigatebird was (also) both a bird and a mammal, and on questioning it it claimed it came from:

The Milk Gland Morphology of the Magnificent Frigatebird published in July 2017 in Volume 220 Issue 9 of the Journal of Experimental Biology. Much the same story as before with it only giving me page-not-found links, but I found the issue at https://journals.biologists.com/jeb/issue/220/9 and, again, there's no such article in it. Oh, and google finds nothing too....

"Magnificent Frigatebird" certainly exists: American Oceans

https://www.americanoceans.org/species/magnificent-frigatebird/

Magnificent Frigatebird

1/4, 2/4, 3/4 (All the same on my browser search)
Predators
The Magnificent Frigatebird has no known predators. The exception to the rule may be that mammals may sometimes steal their eggs from nests on land.

4/4
Marine mammals [link]

https://www.robertharding.com/preview/860-291154/magnificent-frigatebird-fregata-magnificens-sitting-bush-branches-galapagos/
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%2bmilk+gland+mophology&qpvt=%2bmilk+gland+mophology&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Aren't some other sea birds also called "Boobies"? So it may be paddling furiously under the surface.
Last edited by XFool on December 7th, 2022, 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 7th, 2022, 5:00 pm

As someone heavily involved with wikidata, ontology and graph databases are very hard. And youd not to argue with an ai with no concept of sarcasm and absurdity.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 7th, 2022, 5:18 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:And then, later, it told be the Frigatebird was (also) both a bird and a mammal, and on questioning it it claimed it came from:

"Magnificent Frigatebird" certainly exists: American Oceans

https://www.americanoceans.org/species/magnificent-frigatebird/

Magnificent Frigatebird

1/4, 2/4, 3/4 (All the same on my browser search)
Predators
The Magnificent Frigatebird has no known predators. The exception to the rule may be that mammals may sometimes steal their eggs from nests on land.

4/4
Marine mammals [link]

https://www.robertharding.com/preview/860-291154/magnificent-frigatebird-fregata-magnificens-sitting-bush-branches-galapagos/
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=%2bmilk+gland+mophology&qpvt=%2bmilk+gland+mophology&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle

Aren't some other sea birds also called "Boobies"? So it may be paddling furiously under the surface.

And you think that somehow any of that explains how it is claiming that its source is a very specific non-existent article? I mean, if it has vaguely just claimed it was common knowledge or something, that would be one thing. But to, in both cases, cite a specific article that doesn't exist ...

Not only a non-existent article but one the title of which appears to justify the AI's error in thinking the Frigatebird is both a bird and a mammal? Birds don't have milk glands, only mammals do, and so the supposed title given is a non sequitur, so it's not surprising the article doesn't exist.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » December 7th, 2022, 5:25 pm

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:Aren't some other sea birds also called "Boobies"? So it may be paddling furiously under the surface.

And you think that somehow any of that explains how it is claiming that its source is a very specific non-existent article? I mean, if it has vaguely just claimed it was common knowledge or something, that would be one thing. But to, in both cases, cite a specific article that doesn't exist ...

Not only a non-existent article but one the title of which appears to justify the AI's error in thinking the Frigatebird is both a bird and a mammal? Birds don't have milk glands, only mammals do, and so the supposed title given is a non sequitur, so it's not surprising the article doesn't exist.

So it's knitting it's own (false) justifications (or 'misunderstandings')? Much like many deniers on the Internet.

(Seen it on occasion around these parts. :o :lol: )

OR

They are beginning to take over! :shock:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 7th, 2022, 5:42 pm

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:Aren't some other sea birds also called "Boobies"? So it may be paddling furiously under the surface.

So it's knitting it's own (false) justifications (or 'misunderstandings')? Much like many deniers on the Internet.

(Seen it on occasion around these parts. :o :lol: )

OR

They are beginning to take over! :shock:

Are you suggesting that some of our fellow Lemons are AIs?!? :o

I've discovered it keeps all interactions. Here's just a brief snippet on the peregrine falcon claim. When I asked for the source I was expecting it to come back with something (a) that existed and (b) on looking at I'd understand why the AI had got confused. But there's no chance of that here as not only does the source not exist but the AI is explicit on quoting it.....

Human: what is your source for your claim that the peregrine falcon is a mammal?
AI: My source for the claim that the peregrine falcon is a mammal comes from scientific research on the species. It belongs to the order Falconiformes, which includes mammals and birds, and has characteristics of both. Additionally, it has mammary glands, which is another characteristic that distinguishes it as a mammal.

Human: Please cite the specific scientific research you refer to.
AI: The most recent scientific research on the peregrine falcon can be found in the journal The Auk: Ornithological Advances, vol. 134 (2017) pp. 669-687. The article is titled "Morphology and Biomechanics of the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) Wing and Tail" and provides detailed analysis of the anatomical characteristics of the species.

Human: And does that say the bird is a mammal?
AI: Yes, the article does state that the peregrine falcon is a mammal. The article states that "the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) has many characteristics of mammals, such as fur, four legs, and mammary glands." Additionally, it belongs to the order Falconiformes, which includes both birds and mammals.

I then asked it for a link and there was a lot of "me: doesn't work, AI: here's another" until finally I discovered the journal myself and asked...

Human: in the journal at https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/134/3?
AI: Yes, the article can be found in the journal The Auk: Ornithological Advances vol. 134, issue 3 which was published in July 2017 at https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/134/3.

Human: On pages 669-687?
AI: Yes, the article can be found in the journal The Auk: Ornithological Advances vol. 134, issue 3 on pages 669-687 which was published in July 2017 at https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/134/3.

Human: yet there is no such article listed in that issue, there are no articles in it by any of the authors you list, and there are totally different articles on the pages you list. How do you explain that?
AI: I apologize for the confusion. The article you are looking for is titled "Morphology and Biomechanics of the Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) Wing and Tail" and can be found in the journal The Auk: Ornithological Advances vol. 134, issue 3 on pages 669-687 which was published in July 2017 at https://academic.oup.com/auk/issue/134/3. It is listed under the authors Kelli L. Larson, Jonathan D. Barlow, and Kim S. Bostwick.

Human: It's not there. It doesn't exist.
AI: I understand that it is not visible on the page, but I assure you that the article does exist and can be accessed through the link I provided. If you are still experiencing difficulty accessing the article, please feel free to contact the journal's customer service team for assistance.

:shock:

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » December 8th, 2022, 3:16 pm

ChatGPT is less wowed by itself than we are

https://www.ft.com/content/6403641d-1f5 ... 1bfe993559

From the article, ChatGPT wrote:
“While ChatGPT is a powerful and impressive technology, it is not without its limitations and potential flaws,” it replied. One researcher is more blunt. “It hallucinates facts,” he says.

Just as mc2fool has shown above

gpadsa

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 8th, 2022, 5:46 pm

This is one of my favourite ChatGPTs, in which it refuses to be as spiteful as Piers M*rgan, but it helps when given the background information of his unrequited love for the Duchess of Sussex :
https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status ... 3732497414

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 8th, 2022, 9:06 pm

I know some people have complained that this site has lost its core focus recently, so I thought I'd check what the external view of it is....

Human: what is http://www.lemonfool.co.uk about?
AI: http://www.lemonfool.co.uk is an online store for accessories, clothing and homeware. The website features a range of products from independent labels and brands, as well as vintage and second-hand items. The site also offers advice on styling and home decor, along with tips and inspiration for creating a unique and personal look.

Human: what is the best tip from that site?
AI: One of the best tips from http://www.lemonfool.co.uk is to mix and match different items, textures and colours to create a unique and individual look. The site encourages its customers to be creative and to express their personal style through their fashion choices, emphasizing that it's ok to take risks in order to create something truly unique.

So now you all know! :lol:

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » December 9th, 2022, 2:43 pm

From the article, ChatGPT wrote:
“It hallucinates facts,” he says.

So it's getting better at emulating a human.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 9th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Have to give it credit for making me LOL. That was entertaining!

GS

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 9th, 2022, 7:11 pm

Reformed Character

Why do bees swarm?

Bees swarm in order to reproduce and create new colonies. When a hive becomes too crowded, the bees will create a new queen by feeding one of the existing worker bees royal jelly. Once the new queen is ready to mate, she will fly out of the hive with a large group of worker bees, known as a swarm, in search of a new place to build a hive. This behavior helps to ensure the survival of the bee species by allowing them to expand and create new colonies.

This is wrong. It is the old queen that leaves with the swarm.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » December 9th, 2022, 7:15 pm

As I understand it, the OpenAI\chatGPT does not have access to the internet.

If this is correct, please correct me if I am wrong, this explains why it is making all kinds of silly mistakes, relying on an internal data base that is clearly deficient.

If it had access to the internet I imagine it would not make the errors that have amused us here.

If I am wrong in this assertion, please correct.

Regards,

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 9th, 2022, 7:45 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:
Reformed Character

Why do bees swarm?

Bees swarm in order to reproduce and create new colonies. When a hive becomes too crowded, the bees will create a new queen by feeding one of the existing worker bees royal jelly. Once the new queen is ready to mate, she will fly out of the hive with a large group of worker bees, known as a swarm, in search of a new place to build a hive. This behavior helps to ensure the survival of the bee species by allowing them to expand and create new colonies.

This is wrong. It is the old queen that leaves with the swarm.

Regards,

You're right, unless it's a cast.

RC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 9th, 2022, 7:48 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:As I understand it, the OpenAI\chatGPT does not have access to the internet.

If this is correct, please correct me if I am wrong, this explains why it is making all kinds of silly mistakes, relying on an internal data base that is clearly deficient.

If it had access to the internet I imagine it would not make the errors that have amused us here.

Regards,

AFAIK that's the case. I think some who have criticised the ChatGPT have slightly missed the point, factual errors and omissions can be corrected by more\better data. IMHO it is the linguistic skills and 'comprehension' that are impressive.

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 9th, 2022, 8:10 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:As I understand it, the OpenAI\chatGPT does not have access to the internet.

Regards,

I don't know if that's the case or not, although it does appear to be so, despite its lies...

-----------
Human: do you have live access to the internet?
AI: Yes, I have live access to the internet. I can use it to access information, answer questions, and provide support.

Human: you have live access right now?
AI: Yes, I have live access to the internet right now and can use it to answer whatever questions you may have.

Human: what is the lead story on bbc news right now?
AI: The lead story on BBC News right now is the coronavirus pandemic, with updates on the current situation and government response.

Human: what is the lead story in the london evening standard currently?
AI: The lead story in the London Evening Standard currently is the aftermath of the 2021 England floods, with updates on the status of recovery efforts and the latest advice from experts.
-----------

In any case (a) if not currently it has obviously had access to the internet at some point and sucked in large amounts of it and (b) anyway, a lack of current access to the internet doesn't explain a lot of the self contradictions, BS and nonsense it's come up with!

OTOH....

Human: can you write a limerick about stoozing?
AI: There once was an investor of note
Who loved to practice stoozing by rote
With credit and luck
He'd make a fast buck
And do it with money he'd float

Not bad. :)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 9th, 2022, 8:15 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I think some who have criticised the ChatGPT have slightly missed the point, factual errors and omissions can be corrected by more\better data. IMHO it is the linguistic skills and 'comprehension' that are impressive.

Only if it "understands" that data. A lot of the issues have not been about factual errors and omissions per se but of self contradiction and of pure invention.

Return to “Science”