Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Interpreting milky way photo

Scientific discovery and discussion
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Interpreting milky way photo

Postby GoSeigen » June 4th, 2023, 9:33 am

I came across this beautiful and rather interesting image of the Milky Way and wondered if our night sky experts could help with interpretation, which could be educational for us beginner sky lovers?

First, here is the image and link to its source**:

First thing to note is that images like this showing a curved milky way are composites of a panoramic series of photos which are stitched together then distorted to produce a level horizon and curved sky, hence the arched milky way and curved track of meteors, both of which in reality are straight of course.

The description of the image states inter alia that it was captured in Slovenia and during the perseid shower, so in early August, in summer time in the Northern Hemisphere. The blurb also implies that it was taken after sunset rather than before dawn.

These are my thoughts looking at the image:
1. The panorama shows close to a 360º view.
2. The left of the arch of the milky way is roughly east while the RHS is west.
3. Due east is a bit left of the LHS of the arch, due west a bit to the right of the RHS and North is in the centre of the arch.
4. The perseids appear to originate in the constellation Perseus, which is slightly north. So the point from which the metor tracks appear to be emerging must be perseus which would show the location of the Perseus arm.
5. As it is Summer then Sagittarius would show the approximate centre of the Galaxy, but where exactly in the imae is that? Would it be around 2 o'clock on the arch where the starlight is brightest?
6. I'm guessing that the bright parts of the horizon are the recently set sun.

So how far off am I with the above, and what other interesting observations can be made? e.g. is the redness around 11-12 o'clock in the arch genuine star/dust colouring of is it an atmospheric effect?

GS
P.S. (**)The Mt Taranaki photo is superb, isn't it?

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Re: Interpreting milky way photo

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 5th, 2023, 9:26 am

Nice pic! From that latitude after sunset in August Sagittarius will be close to the horizon. I think it's close to the W horizon in the picture with the large Sagittarius star cluster (M24) visible as what appears to be a bright dumbbell shaped object. Individual stars are hard to make out.

My guess anyway

BoE

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » June 5th, 2023, 7:50 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:Nice pic! From that latitude after sunset in August Sagittarius will be close to the horizon. I think it's close to the W horizon in the picture with the large Sagittarius star cluster (M24) visible as what appears to be a bright dumbbell shaped object. Individual stars are hard to make out.

My guess anyway

BoE

Thanks BoE, that's prompted me to learn a bit about Sagittarius and you are right, it is just above the horizon as you said, and I've also located M24.

The moon is bang in the centre of Sagittarius tonight so will have a look on my walk home in a few minutes -- though of course nothing will be visible right there what with the full moon. By next week should be better I guess. It's a part of the sky I've never paid any attention to.

So did I get the various directions in the image basically correct?

GS

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » June 6th, 2023, 6:51 pm

GoSeigen wrote:

Thanks BoE, that's prompted me to learn a bit about Sagittarius and you are right, it is just above the horizon as you said, and I've also located M24.

The moon is bang in the centre of Sagittarius tonight so will have a look on my walk home in a few minutes -- though of course nothing will be visible right there what with the full moon. By next week should be better I guess. It's a part of the sky I've never paid any attention to.

So did I get the various directions in the image basically correct?

GS

I think so, yes.

Sagittarius doesn't really get above the horizon where I am in Scotland. It was primarily my desire to see the stars of the Southern Hemisphere that we had a holiday in Mauritius one year. We went in our summer time and Scorpius was at the zenith in the early evening. Some other constellations, including Sagittarius and Centaurus, are also stunning when seen high in the sky.

If I can face the long flights then at some stage I would like to go to N Zealand which is even further South. Maybe when I've made enough money to travel first class!

BoE

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 6th, 2023, 7:03 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:If I can face the long flights then at some stage I would like to go to N Zealand which is even further South. Maybe when I've made enough money to travel first class!

Given the distance it is perhaps surprising that there is only way to fly from London to Auckland in First the entire way. And that is on Emirates via Dubai.

BA no longer flies there and Air New Zealand only has Business class. You can get most of the way in First on Qantas via Sydney or Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong or Singapore Airlines via Singapore. But then you have to slum it in Business for the last leg. :D

Return to “Science”