Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Voyager 2 - Aarrrggh!

Scientific discovery and discussion
XFool
The full Lemon

Voyager 2 - Aarrrggh!

Postby XFool » August 1st, 2023, 3:27 pm

Voyager 2: Nasa loses contact with record-breaking probe after sending wrong command

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-66371569

Nasa has lost contact with its Voyager 2 probe billions of miles away from Earth after sending it the wrong command, the space agency has revealed.

"Last month, the spacecraft - exploring space since 1977 - tilted its antenna to point two degrees away from Earth after the mistake was made.

As a result, the probe has stopped receiving commands or sending data.

Nasa said it hopes communication will resume when the probe is due to reset in October.
"

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Voyager 2 - Aarrrggh!

Postby XFool » August 1st, 2023, 6:50 pm

Latest:

Voyager 2: Nasa picks up 'heartbeat' signal after sending wrong command

BBC News

Nasa has picked up a "heartbeat" signal from its Voyager 2 probe after it lost contact with it billions of miles away from Earth, the space agency said.

"Last month, the spacecraft - exploring the universe since 1977 - tilted its antenna to point two degrees away from Earth after a wrong command was sent."

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 1st, 2023, 7:01 pm

Eeek. Ctrl Z....Ctrl Z....please!

Kinda reminds me of Walowitz in Big Bang when he trashed the Mars Rover.

y0rkiebar
2 Lemon pips

Postby y0rkiebar » August 1st, 2023, 10:03 pm

The NASA intern won't be asked back.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » August 5th, 2023, 12:07 am

All sorted !

Nasa is back in full contact with its lost Voyager 2 probe months earlier than expected, the space agency said.

[...]

A signal was picked up on Tuesday but thanks to an "interstellar shout" - a powerful instruction - its antenna is now back facing Earth.

Nasa had originally pinned hopes on the spacecraft resetting itself in October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66408851

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 5th, 2023, 12:32 am

mike wrote:All sorted !

Nasa is back in full contact with its lost Voyager 2 probe months earlier than expected, the space agency said.

[...]

A signal was picked up on Tuesday but thanks to an "interstellar shout" - a powerful instruction - its antenna is now back facing Earth.

15 billion miles away is a long way but of course, less than two light-days given it takes 37 hours for a signal to arrive. Voyager has not even escaped the influence of our sun yet. Now think about a light year. Or a few billion of them. As Douglas Adams pointed out if you think it's a long way to the chemist's, that's nothing.

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Also consider our solar system around one star. And there are a hundred, thousand, million stars in just our one galaxy. One of many.

Time I finished this wine, probably.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » August 5th, 2023, 1:06 am

Mike4 wrote:

15 billion miles away is a long way but of course, less than two light-days given it takes 37 hours for a signal to arrive. Voyager has not even escaped the influence of our sun yet. Now think about a light year. Or a few billion of them. As Douglas Adams pointed out if you think it's a long way to the chemist's, that's nothing.

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Also consider our solar system around one star. And there are a hundred, thousand, million stars in just our one galaxy. One of many.

Voyager 1 is believed to have past through the termination shock of the sun:

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/detai ... ticle_id=8

If this is right it is now in a region of space that has less solar influence than anything yet experienced by human technology.

Regards,

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 5th, 2023, 8:40 am

Computers! They do what you tell them not what you want.

My file I was trying to print got deleted when the seat / keyboard interface selected "Del"

What's wrong with my Deliver Electronic Leaflet button. :D

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 5th, 2023, 9:42 am

Mike4 wrote:

Nah, it's a lot bigger than that. The Milky Way contains between 100 and 400 billion stars and at least that many planets.
Astronomers estimate there exist in the universe roughly 10,000 stars for each grain of sand on Earth.

As for how many universes there may be - I need another bottle of wine!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 5th, 2023, 10:16 am

mike wrote:All sorted !

[...]

Looks like that phone call to 'Derek' in Customer Support / Bangalore worked.

Return to “Science”