Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Know a statistician that you hate?

Scientific discovery and discussion
genou
Lemon Quarter

Know a statistician that you hate?

Postby genou » February 13th, 2024, 2:05 pm

If you wish to drive them to madness, then point them at this thread. I came to it unknowingly, and it now holds a morbid fascination. Latest wonder is viewtopic.php?p=646669#p646669

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Know a statistician that you hate?

Postby XFool » February 13th, 2024, 3:49 pm

genou wrote:If you wish to drive them to madness, then point them at this thread. I came to it unknowingly, and it now holds a morbid fascination. Latest wonder is viewtopic.php?p=646669#p646669

Tell us more. If you dare! :)

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » February 13th, 2024, 8:49 pm

XFool wrote:
genou wrote:If you wish to drive them to madness, then point them at this thread. I came to it unknowingly, and it now holds a morbid fascination. Latest wonder is viewtopic.php?p=646669#p646669

Tell us more. If you dare! :)

Nothing to see here.

I have no animus against stats guys. It's just that the effect of that thread on me is fingernails on blackboard - the endless search for truth in anecdote in the context of what must be one of the most exhaustively analysed set of stats on earth. And I'm so long in the tooth that the nearest my education came to stats was probability. To someone who has done more, it must be agonising.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » February 13th, 2024, 8:59 pm

genou wrote:
XFool wrote:Tell us more. If you dare! :)

Nothing to see here.

I have no animus against stats guys. It's just that the effect of that thread on me is fingernails on blackboard - the endless search for truth in anecdote in the context of what must be one of the most exhaustively analysed set of stats on earth. And I'm so long in the tooth that the nearest my education came to stats was probability. To someone who has done more, it must be agonising.

Yes, it is a puzzling thread in some ways. I have never seen the point of saying "I won £x this month..." or "I didn't win anything this month, again." I once sent it up by posting "That's another £1m again for me this month".

There are some possibly 'interesting' things:
"What is the maximum number of prizes you have ever won in a month (I claim 8)?"
"What is the longest you have gone without winning a prize?"

But, not a lot beyond things like that. Unless somebody does own up to winning a million. :)

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » February 13th, 2024, 9:43 pm

XFool wrote:But, not a lot beyond things like that. Unless somebody does own up to winning a million. :)

Then we would be in business. We can figure out what percentage of PB holders are on TLF and what their likely holding size is ( maybe; the demographic here wont match PB holders en masse, but that's what stattos are for, surely ) , and then compute how likely it is that they are telling the truth.

We still wont know whether they are. But we will have approached the question in the right way.

Edit: so many Buts.....

Return to “Science”