Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HIV breakthrough?

Scientific discovery and discussion
ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

HIV breakthrough?

Postby ursaminortaur » March 21st, 2024, 9:32 am

Scientists are reporting a breakthrough in eliminating HIV in lab cells using CRISPR to cut the HIV virus out of the cells. The hope is that this can be developed into a method of eliminating the hidden HIV reservoirs in the cells in the body, of those who have been infected but then successfully treated with drugs to stop HIV becoming AIDs, preventing future regrowth of HIV levels from such reservoirs which could lead to AIDs.

https://youtu.be/8agSFZqdq_I?si=XOOnu5RpGz_N3z9z

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Re: HIV breakthrough?

Postby odysseus2000 » March 21st, 2024, 1:49 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Scientists are reporting a breakthrough in eliminating HIV in lab cells using CRISPR to cut the HIV virus out of the cells. The hope is that this can be developed into a method of eliminating the hidden HIV reservoirs in the cells in the body, of those who have been infected but then successfully treated with drugs to stop HIV becoming AIDs, preventing future regrowth of HIV levels from such reservoirs which could lead to AIDs.

https://youtu.be/8agSFZqdq_I?si=XOOnu5RpGz_N3z9z

Super interesting. Removing virus from cells is something that I thought impossible, but it was done for Hepatitis albeit the cost of treatment is expensive, it likely a lot less when the patents expire.

This methodology to take out reservoirs in cells is most certainly a “magic bullet”, but as the expert asks, how much must you remove, would a remaining 1% be too much?

Regards,

Return to “Science”