Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Sand batteries

Scientific discovery and discussion
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sand batteries

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 8:19 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Ah you nearly had me there, until I checked the date!

https://sciencing.com/substances-hold-h ... -7156.html

As a sedimentary material composed of the compound silicon dioxide, sand is found on beaches and in deserts all over the world. Sand has a low heat transfer coefficient of 0.06 watts per square meter degree Celsius. This means it can retain heat for very long periods of time and explains why the sand on the beach of a hot country remains warm hours after sunset. A 1-kilogram container of sand will cool from 104 degrees F to 68 degrees F in 5 hours, 30 minutes.

Water is a liquid and will experience convective cooling which sand obviously doesn't.

If you don't believe this then it's a relatively simple experiment to set up at home. Get a couple of containers of similar size, fill one with water and the other with sand, heat both thoroughly to the same temp and stick a thermometer into the middle of both to measure temp vs time.

BoE

BoE is mixing up heat (energy) and temperature, at a least by not being careful which he is talking about. They are not the same thing. The above experiment will not tell you much about the thermal properties of the materials -- not in the crude form outlined. EDIT: e.g. would you get the same result by using the same volumes of sand and water as you would if you used the same mass of sand and water?

GS

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 8:36 am

GoSeigen wrote:EDIT: e.g. would you get the same result by using the same volumes of sand and water as you would if you used the same mass of sand and water?

Additionally, heat transfer coefficient is a measure of convection. What if we ensure there is no (or minimal) convection in the water? Did BoE consider the effects of conduction and evaporation in the experiment?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2024, 9:09 am

GoSeigen wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:EDIT: e.g. would you get the same result by using the same volumes of sand and water as you would if you used the same mass of sand and water?

Additionally, heat transfer coefficient is a measure of convection. What if we ensure there is no (or minimal) convection in the water? Did BoE consider the effects of conduction and evaporation in the experiment?

Or I suspect even more importantly, well insulated? What if the containers holding the samples of sand and water are say Thermos flasks or even better insulated? ? I suspect given the far higher specific heat of water and the low rate of energy loss would lead to the flask containing the water falling in temperature MUCH more slowly.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » April 2nd, 2024, 10:12 am

Mike4 wrote:Or I suspect even more importantly, well insulated? What if the containers holding the samples of sand and water are say Thermos flasks or even better insulated? ? I suspect given the far higher specific heat of water and the low rate of energy loss would lead to the flask containing the water falling in temperature MUCH more slowly.

Yes, you can slow heat loss by insulating. However, given the big difference in thermal conductivity sand will be a much better insulator itself than water and therefore require less external insulation. Ultimately the choice of material will come down to a number of different practical considerations.

BoE

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 11:00 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Or I suspect even more importantly, well insulated? What if the containers holding the samples of sand and water are say Thermos flasks or even better insulated? ? I suspect given the far higher specific heat of water and the low rate of energy loss would lead to the flask containing the water falling in temperature MUCH more slowly.

Yes, you can slow heat loss by insulating. However, given the big difference in thermal conductivity sand will be a much better insulator itself than water and therefore require less external insulation. Ultimately the choice of material will come down to a number of different practical considerations.

You don't want sand to be insulating. What is the use of that? You want it to be able to absorb heat and release it fast. And you want it to store a lot of heat. Compared to water sand is inferior in both departments.

As mentioned earlier it seems to have other advantages: it doesn't leak so readily and you can practically raise its temperature higher than water.

GS

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » April 2nd, 2024, 11:19 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:

You don't want sand to be insulating. What is the use of that? You want it to be able to absorb heat and release it fast. And you want it to store a lot of heat. Compared to water sand is inferior in both departments.

As mentioned earlier it seems to have other advantages: it doesn't leak so readily and you can practically raise its temperature higher than water.

GS

Morning GS

I thought the idea of a 'battery' was to tap into the ability to store heat and release it slowly? Like I say the choice of material will depend on the application and practical issues surrounding that application.

I wasn't really looking for a fight here, just pointing out that one of the big differences in physical properties between sand and water is thermal conductivity. Whether that is useful depends on what is required.

BoE

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 2nd, 2024, 11:26 am

tjh290633 wrote:If you are looking for heat capacity, surely water is the optimum medium. It has a higher specific heat than the alternatives however you measure it.

Except in this district scheme they are heating the sand to 600C.

How does water perform at that temperature?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 ... ean-energy

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 2nd, 2024, 11:35 am

Hallucigenia wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:If you are looking for heat capacity, surely water is the optimum medium. It has a higher specific heat than the alternatives however you measure it.

Given the specific heat of sand is only 1/5 that of water, I'd say the water performs five time better. The box containing it might need to be a bit stronger though.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 11:36 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:You don't want sand to be insulating. What is the use of that? You want it to be able to absorb heat and release it fast. And you want it to store a lot of heat. Compared to water sand is inferior in both departments.

GS

Morning GS

I thought the idea of a 'battery' was to tap into the ability to store heat and release it slowly? Like I say the choice of material will depend on the application and practical issues surrounding that application.

I wasn't really looking for a fight here, just pointing out that one of the big differences in physical properties between sand and water is thermal conductivity. Whether that is useful depends on what is required.

BoE

Also not looking for a fight, but facts are facts. Batteries are designed to release their energy quickly, not slowly , e.g. a car battery can release charge at the rate of 1000A, enough to power two hundred laptops simultaneously for a short time -- if you need a slower rate, just stick some impedance in the circuit. A battery that releases energy slowly is usually consigned to the rubbish bin!

If that is difficult to appreciate I'm not sure how we could make it clearer.

GS

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » April 2nd, 2024, 11:43 am

So what's better - keeping and using it as heat or converting it back into electricity?

I'd assume suing it as heat is going to need a lot of local infrastructure to store and pipe the heat to properties whereas with electricity conversion there's no supply upgrades needed and the 'batteries' can be anywhere really (but you only get 30% efficiency)

...or as new build houses go up, including thermal as part of the build from the outset? In the meantime, I can think of many industrial and public buildings locally that have the space on site right now for a thermal battery.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 11:52 am

Mike4 wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:

Given the specific heat of sand is only 1/5 that of water, I'd say the water performs five time better. The box containing it might need to be a bit stronger though.

Okay, reading that article I see something significant that I hadn't before. It is not a sand battery. It's a sand-and-air battery. It seems that the sand is heated by circulating (forcing?) air through the sand. This is interesting and would clearly overcome the problem of the poor conducting property of sand. Again, very high temperatures of 600º but if joints and other vulnerable parts are limited to being on the outside of the container then maintenance would not be as much of an issue as I imagined.

Do other readers agree I have understood this correctly?

GS

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 2nd, 2024, 11:57 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Bubblesofearth wrote:

GS

Let’s first clear up temperature & heat energy.

Temperature measures the hotness or coldness of something & at an atomic level it is the average energy (kinetic, rotational, vibrational) of the atoms or molecules in the body being measured. The more the average atomic/molecular energy the higher the temperature & the more it will cause mercury or alcohol in a traditional thermometer to expand.

Heat by contrast is a measure of energy, the capacity to do work.

As an example the temperature of a teaspoon of boiling water is a lot higher than a bucket of water at cold tap water temperature. If two teaspoons of boiling water are tipped into the bucket of water, the bucket will then contain twice as much heat energy, but that energy will be spread over the large volume of the bucket & the temperature will not change within the limits of most thermometers ability to measure.

For a thermal battery the more self insulating the better. In operation you supply heat via e.g. electrical heating elements & you want as much as possible of this heat energy to stay inside the thermal battery. You do not want it to release the energy quickly, the exact opposite, you want it to release the energy very slowly. In operation you raise the sand to several hundred degrees & then pass a central heating pipe through the sand which has water at the temperature needed to heat the house. So long as the sand is hotter than the water in the central heating pipe, there is a transfer from the sand to the water & this water is then pumped through the radiators to warm the house.

Water is not a useful reservoir for this type of application, with numerous drawbacks, especially that to go beyond the boiling point you have to pressurize it, whereas sand will happily support much higher temperatures without any similar complications.

We are talking about technology very familiar to our Victorian ancestors who would keep food warm for hours by surrounding a pot of e.g. stew with towels & hay beyond that to make a well insulated meal that will keep for hours. Cool boxes are a more modern variant on the idea.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 2nd, 2024, 12:04 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Okay, reading that article I see something significant that I hadn't before. It is not a sand battery. It's a sand-and-air battery. It seems that the sand is heated by circulating (forcing?) air through the sand. This is interesting and would clearly overcome the problem of the poor conducting property of sand. Again, very high temperatures of 600º but if joints and other vulnerable parts are limited to being on the outside of the container then maintenance would not be as much of an issue as I imagined.

Do other readers agree I have understood this correctly?

GS

There is always air in sand & this allows the heat to slowly move about the box even if it is heated by electrical heating elements that would be arranged to heat the sand along long lines of heating elements, nowadays likely carbon fibre conductors that can easily be shaped to fill the reservoir as needed. Similarly the extraction tubes will be coiled within the sand to extract the heat. As heat is removed the temperature near the extraction coil will fall & heat will flow in from the sand around this to equalize the temperature.

Hot air heating of the sand may well be cheaper to manufacture than having coils of resistive heating element, but the idea is the same.

Regards,

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pm

Tedx wrote:So what's better - keeping and using it as heat or converting it back into electricity?

I'd assume suing it as heat is going to need a lot of local infrastructure to store and pipe the heat to properties whereas with electricity conversion there's no supply upgrades needed and the 'batteries' can be anywhere really (but you only get 30% efficiency)

...or as new build houses go up, including thermal as part of the build from the outset? In the meantime, I can think of many industrial and public buildings locally that have the space on site right now for a thermal battery.

It depends what you want & what you have.

You can replace a domestic gas boiler with a sand battery without changing the radiators etc within the house.

If you go for electricity you may be as well use storage radiators now that peak electricity is collapsing in price, but if you don’t have them there is the cost of installation etc.

There is no one solution fits everything. There are practical, economic & user preference complications to any energy system. Often it comes down to cost & inconvenience & what suits the occupier.

Regards,

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 2nd, 2024, 12:14 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Batteries are designed to release their energy quickly

Some batteries are...
... but sometimes I want a battery designed to hold energy/charge for a long time, and go months between charges.
It's always a tradeoff

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 12:15 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:For a thermal battery the more self insulating the better. In operation you supply heat via e.g. electrical heating elements & you want as much as possible of this heat energy to stay inside the thermal battery. You do not want it to release the energy quickly, the exact opposite, you want it to release the energy very slowly.

Couldn't disagree more. ody is confusing storage of the heat with transfer of the heat.

When storing the heat you don't want it to escape. Correct. That problem is handled by 1. insulation and 2. keeping temperatures low.

When adding or extracting heat you want a high rate of transfer. Consider a typical water storage tank with immersion heater. The immersion heater is compact and simple -- why? Because heat is rapidly transferred to the water aided by convection currents. If the same tank and heater were used with sand the main protagonists in this thread agree that the sand would rapidly achieve a high temperature BUT the heat injected would not spread throughout the tank because 1. the sand is a thermal insulator and the heat conducts slowly and b. there are no convection currents to help, it's a solid. The solution is to have a complex latticework of heating/cooling elements but this is expensive and more prone to damage/failure.

Even a solid block of metal would perform better as a thermal battery store because heat is rapidly conducted through the material.

GS

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 12:25 pm

servodude wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Batteries are designed to release their energy quickly

Some batteries are...
... but sometimes I want a battery designed to hold energy/charge for a long time, and go months between charges.
It's always a tradeoff

IIUC you are discussing a different trade-off here. It's the problem that there is a correlation between the rate at which energy can be withdrawn and leakage/waste of that energy. If you don't require rapid withdrawal of the energy but you do need to minimise losses then of necessity you may have to reduce the energy withdrawal rate [or possibly the same could be forced by safety requirements].

Agreed.

But I don't think that equates to saying that batteries in general are best designed to release their energy slowly which is the implication if a highly insulating material is to be used for storing the energy. A slower release rate would be indicated by other factors.

GS
P.S. All interesting discussion for me as I am considering various upgrades to our commercial property.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 2nd, 2024, 1:00 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:For a thermal battery the more self insulating the better. In operation you supply heat via e.g. electrical heating elements & you want as much as possible of this heat energy to stay inside the thermal battery. You do not want it to release the energy quickly, the exact opposite, you want it to release the energy very slowly.

Couldn't disagree more. ody is confusing storage of the heat with transfer of the heat.

When storing the heat you don't want it to escape. Correct. That problem is handled by 1. insulation and 2. keeping temperatures low.

When adding or extracting heat you want a high rate of transfer. Consider a typical water storage tank with immersion heater. The immersion heater is compact and simple -- why? Because heat is rapidly transferred to the water aided by convection currents. If the same tank and heater were used with sand the main protagonists in this thread agree that the sand would rapidly achieve a high temperature BUT the heat injected would not spread throughout the tank because 1. the sand is a thermal insulator and the heat conducts slowly and b. there are no convection currents to help, it's a solid. The solution is to have a complex latticework of heating/cooling elements but this is expensive and more prone to damage/failure.

Even a solid block of metal would perform better as a thermal battery store because heat is rapidly conducted through the material.

GS

You are misunderstanding what heat is & the mechanisms of transfer within materials.

When you supply heat you cause the average energy of the atoms/molecules you are heating to increase. This leads to increases in translational energy in a gas, vibration & rotation in a solid & this energy is coupled through the material via interactions between the atoms & molecules. In sand there is air within the sand & this air is part of the energy transfer mechanism along with the vibration of the silicon & other atoms/molecules in the sand. In sand the conductivity is slow which is what is needed as you want to retain the energy as long as possible & keep the temperature as high as possible as this increases the rate at which heat can be transferred to the conductor used to extract it, often water in tubes.

Regards,

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » April 2nd, 2024, 1:11 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Also not looking for a fight, but facts are facts. Batteries are designed to release their energy quickly, not slowly , e.g. a car battery can release charge at the rate of 1000A, enough to power two hundred laptops simultaneously for a short time -- if you need a slower rate, just stick some impedance in the circuit. A battery that releases energy slowly is usually consigned to the rubbish bin!

GS

Check out the diagram 19s into the video in the OP. You want a balance between rate of heat release and heat storage. You don't want the reservoir to lose all its heat quickly but you want to be able to access the heat as quickly as is required. The design in the diagram shows how this is achieved.

BoE

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 2nd, 2024, 2:09 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:Also not looking for a fight, but facts are facts. Batteries are designed to release their energy quickly, not slowly , e.g. a car battery can release charge at the rate of 1000A, enough to power two hundred laptops simultaneously for a short time -- if you need a slower rate, just stick some impedance in the circuit. A battery that releases energy slowly is usually consigned to the rubbish bin!

GS

Check out the diagram 19s into the video in the OP. You want a balance between rate of heat release and heat storage. You don't want the reservoir to lose all its heat quickly but you want to be able to access the heat as quickly as is required. The design in the diagram shows how this is achieved.

BoE

If you insulate it the reservoir will not release (waste) heat. You cannot access heat as quickly as required if you use an insulating material. Imagine using polystyrene. How good a battery would that make? LOL

GS

Return to “Science”