Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Funny question?

Scientific discovery and discussion
XFool
The full Lemon

Funny question?

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Today, on Radio 4's PM, Martha Kearney(?) asked Dr. Monica Grady(?) words to the effect: "Can you feel any sense of speed in space".

I thought this a rather peculiar question. What do others think?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Funny question?

Postby DiamondEcho » April 27th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I get some sense of speed in an aeroplane. I can see why having such a sense of movement might be on consequence to a person.
Almost none of us know what it's like to fly through space, so perhaps almost any first hand description is of value towards trying to conceptualise it?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Well, I am currently sat here in front of the telly, while I am travelling at about 66,000mph. Feels OK to me.

My point was that surely, when you are dealing with space travel, by now some sense of the meaning of 'speed' should be appreciated, even in the media? Or am I being too fussy?

Galileo, thou should be living at this hour! Or possibly not. :roll:

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » April 27th, 2017, 10:20 pm

XFool wrote:Well, I am currently sat here in front of the telly, while I am travelling at about 66,000mph.

Relative to what?

Adrian

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2017, 10:31 pm

AJC5001 wrote:
XFool wrote:Well, I am currently sat here in front of the telly, while I am travelling at about 66,000mph.

Relative to what?

Well, isn't that the point?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 27th, 2017, 11:23 pm

XFool wrote:"Can you feel any sense of speed in space".

I would think it depends entirely on how fast you're travelling and how close you are to a visible object.

If you're travelling at 100 mph 20 feet above the Martian surface I'm sure it would appear pretty fast. But if you were half way on a journey from the Sun to Proxima Centauri, even if you were travelling at 10 million mph you would probably be unaware that you were moving at all.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 28th, 2017, 9:11 am

Surely you get a sense of speed when the stars start making lines and smear past the cockpit with rising electronicy whooshy noise?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 28th, 2017, 9:12 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I would think it depends entirely on how fast you're travelling and how close you are to a visible object.

If you're travelling at 100 mph 20 feet above the Martian surface I'm sure it would appear pretty fast. But if you were half way on a journey from the Sun to Proxima Centauri, even if you were travelling at 10 million mph you would probably be unaware that you were moving at all.

Agreed to that. I should perhaps have explained that the original question was framed in the context of the Cassini mission.

To be sure, there is possible ambiguity over the exact nature of the question asked. But on the other hand I am used to hearing BBC correspondents declaring excitedly that: "Astronauts will be working outside the ISS while travelling at 18,000mph!" - I always think: "And this matters how?" By that I do not mean I am unimpressed by the ISS etc itself. The astronauts being no more bothered that they are "travelling at 18,000mph" than I was to see my car last being serviced while moving at 66,000mph (at least). Not that I didn't have concerns, but that is another matter!

I guess what I'm trying to say is: journalists have got to grips (to some extent!) with the fact that ships made of iron float on water; craft heavier than air stay up in the air; voices and images can be mysteriously transported invisibly and silently large distances through space. Surely the concept of speed as a purely relative phenomenon - the mainstream of the physical sciences for ooh!, four centuries? - is an idea whose time has come? Even in journalism.

And when you think we are living in the century after Einstein...

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 28th, 2017, 8:51 pm

If you were travelling at a constant speed in a straight line - no.
But if your InterGalactic Voyager* was on a curved path, you would feel a sensation of 'motion' the same as if Voyager was accelerating or braking in a straight line, and this would be so whether or not the spaceship had windows.