Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Beziers and Bartholomew Walmesley

Genealogy, Local, General
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Beziers and Bartholomew Walmesley

Postby poundcoin » May 21st, 2018, 10:15 pm

Posting this as was reminded about an ancient gravestone/plaque I spotted during a visit a few weeks ago . It was leaning against a wall in the vestry? of Beziers Cathedral along with other bits of stonework .
What struck me was the name Dorothea Smith (or Dorothy Smith) , not what you would expect to see on an old stone in the far south of France . Googling her name it seems she was the wife of Bartholomew Walmesley , Dorothy was born 1677 and died 1699 aged just 22 .

https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public ... &scrwidth=

Thats all I could find about her .The Walmesleys were from a Lancashire Catholic family , obviously rich to afford such a large stone . What she died of at such a young age and what they were doing there , not sure .

This is my photo of the stone and if any latin speakers can translate what it says it may help ,( sorry the top part is difficult to see).
They did have a daughter called Catherine who later married a Lord Petre .

My photo

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Re: Beziers and Bartholomew Walmesley

Postby poundcoin » May 22nd, 2018, 10:55 am

Had a go on the google translate that doesn't really help much as the words on the stone arent that easy to read .It does appear to say she was from Portland England .

Portland in England
talk
press kind ?

more power than blood
bright

dear spouse of Bartholomew Walmesley
? religious zeal
And on the subject ?
In a compliance
piety toward God
was completed in a short time
fulfilled a long time

discharges Biterris 10 day 9
by the age of 22 years
died 1699

There are a number of family trees here giving Dorothy Smith's father as John Smith and she was born Dunkenlagh, Lancashire

https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bi ... t.x=Search

Return to “History”