Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Share your trickiest genealogy detective work

Genealogy, Local, General
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Share your trickiest genealogy detective work

Postby bungeejumper » December 30th, 2016, 9:39 am

Biggest problem we had when researching my genealogy was that so many of the Mormon links were, ahem, questionable. (BTW, do they still form the backbone of Ancestry?)

To put it slightly crudely, Mormon believers used to be paid by the yard, in terms of the church cred they could earn for assembling the maximum number of departed ancestors for whose souls they could try to intercede with the Great Creator. And one of my ultra-distant Mormon cousins in New Zealand had gone right over the top. She had no problem with linking people across a gap of century or more if their names seemed even vaguely similar, and her dodgy accounts had been formally accepted into the Mormon rolls. We followed up a couple of them, and no chance that they were right.

But then, we had family scandals of our own. My great-grandfather was widowered after 27 years of (apparently) childless marriage, and then went out wife-shopping in Stratford upon Avon. Having found himself a pleasant young woman of 25, he lopped twenty years off his age to convince her that he was 36, not 56, and he then kept up the deception for the rest of his life. By the time he died in 1917 he was nearly eighty, not sixty as his wife still believed.

He was the head gardener at a succession of stately homes, with teams of 30 to 50 men under his command, so he was presumably quite a smart cookie, and also physically fit. As he soon proved to his new wife. Four kids in three years, despite pushing sixty. :lol: I take my hat off to the old rascal.

BJ

Return to “History”