Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Vulcana-the most physically perfect woman !

Genealogy, Local, General
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Vulcana-the most physically perfect woman !

Postby poundcoin » March 6th, 2017, 11:57 am

(Picture from 1906)

Just happened on this story of Vulcana .......Why hasn't she had a Hollywood movie made about her life or a Sunday night TV series ?

Born to a Welsh preacher in 1875 she met a married man and teamed up with him to perform a strong arm variety act .
In the mean time she had 6 children by him whilst continuing the act and toured the world .

According to stories she also saved horses during a theatre fire , rescued two boys from drowning ,knocked out a pick-pocket and actually came back from the dead after being hit by a taxi !! She was also the first to report Belle Crippen missing .

" the most wonderful Classic Poses ever known, by Miss Vulcana the most beautiful, symmetrical and physically perfect woman on Earth"

Wiki on Vulcana here :
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcana

An excellent blog written by one of her descendants .
This is the first page of 10 .....(Navigation is a bit clunky)
http://vulcanaonline.com/?p=19

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Vulcana-the most physically perfect woman !

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 11th, 2017, 8:22 pm

She looks amply proportioned, and according to a BMI calculator she's overweight. A role model for the fatties among us?

Not a film person myself. But she might make a fine subject for a new biography. Catch the Zeitgeist of digging up notable women, and get it serialised on Radio 4.

BTW, your dates don't seem to work. The image says she's "just out of her teens", which doesn't fit with a 1906 picture of someone born in 1875.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » March 12th, 2017, 8:14 am

Thanks for reading and visiting this remote part of the Lemon fool :)
Hadn't noticed the dates anomoly , just goes to show you can't believe everything written in the newspapers .
Pics were from a 1906 copy of The Illustrated News and her birth dates seem to check out in the relevant census .

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 12th, 2017, 3:06 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:She looks amply proportioned, and according to a BMI calculator she's overweight. A role model for the fatties among us?

Nah, BMI's just a pretty crap way of assessing body fat ratios. Many serious rugby players are obese, according to BMI, because it doesn't attempt to distinguish between fat and muscle. And not does it take into account the fact that some people have bone structures like spindleback chairs while others are more like rhinoceroses. Tending as I do toward the latter conformation (my ancestors were blacksmiths), I've heard enough stupid guff from practice nurses to last me a lifetime. Harrumph.

BJ

Return to “History”