Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Putting right an incorrect transcription of Census name on Ancestry?

Genealogy, Local, General
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Putting right an incorrect transcription of Census name on Ancestry?

Postby stevensfo » July 27th, 2023, 1:34 pm

I logged onto Ancestry after a gap of two years and was amazed at how many hints there were.

When you click on a census, it displays the typed information for ease of reading but of course, also displays a photo of the original census when you click on it.

I was skimming through a few and suddenly discovered that one census (my G G Grandfather) has the names transcribed as 'Moor' instead of 'Moon'. A quick glance at the original confirmed this. The final letter looks more like an 'r' than an 'n'. The final descending slope of the pen turns in so I can see why the mistake was made.

I assume that the transcriptions are imported by Ancestry. Anyone know how to go about correcting this mistake.

Or is it worth it?

Steve

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Putting right an incorrect transcription of Census name on Ancestry?

Postby DrFfybes » July 27th, 2023, 1:49 pm

According to MrsF there is a way of correcting it.

When you are looking at the transcribed record, underneath the image of the original (top left) is an "add/update information" link.

Paul

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 27th, 2023, 2:32 pm

DrFfybes wrote:According to MrsF there is a way of correcting it.

When you are looking at the transcribed record, underneath the image of the original (top left) is an "add/update information" link.

Paul

Thanks, as soon as I have time, I will try this.

Steve

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 27th, 2023, 3:08 pm

It's probably different on desktop browser version and mobile app. I only use desktop browser. To do the change view the image with the transcription error, find the record in the list of transcriptions below the image. Select the appropriate record and then click the field to be corrected. An Edit box should appear where you can fix the record. Doing this helps other researchers find the record in their searches.

GS

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 27th, 2023, 3:37 pm

GoSeigen wrote:It's probably different on desktop browser version and mobile app. I only use desktop browser. To do the change view the image with the transcription error, find the record in the list of transcriptions below the image. Select the appropriate record and then click the field to be corrected. An Edit box should appear where you can fix the record. Doing this helps other researchers find the record in their searches.
GS

How odd - this was on a laptop, but apppeared differently.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 27th, 2023, 4:52 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:It's probably different on desktop browser version and mobile app. I only use desktop browser. To do the change view the image with the transcription error, find the record in the list of transcriptions below the image. Select the appropriate record and then click the field to be corrected. An Edit box should appear where you can fix the record. Doing this helps other researchers find the record in their searches.
GS

How odd - this was on a laptop, but apppeared differently.

You can do it both your way and mine on a desktop, I just don't know about how the mobile App handles it.

EDIT: I prefer working on the image view because then you can easily amend multiple entries on the one image.

GS

Return to “History”