Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pope in a tight spot

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
wickham
Lemon Slice

Pope in a tight spot

Postby wickham » August 26th, 2018, 12:27 pm

The Christian religion's word of God as outlined by Jesus is to forgive sins, not to have retribution, revenge or punishment, so the Pope's correct action would be to forgive all child abusers and not to punish nuns, priests and cardinals who abused children by removing them from office. Calls for him to act (ie discpline or punish abusers) is putting him in a tight spot.

I don't agree with that philosophy, but it just shows how illogical religions are.

The Muslim religion seems to be the opposite, recommending very harsh punishments even for trivial sins.

I don't know what Buddhism or Hindus recommend for treatment of sinners but I expect they are fairly easy-going.

Religions should never have been invented!

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: Pope in a tight spot

Postby malkymoo » August 27th, 2018, 8:49 am

Rather unfair to the Pope. Surely the Jesus's injunction is to forgive those who trespass against you. The Pope is in no position to forgive, since he is not the one injured. He could pray to God to forgive the sinners, but that is a totally different thing.

mm (not a religious believer)

Return to “The Meaning of Life”