Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to mark88man,stirlo,johnstevens77,Rhyd6,87investor, for Donating to support the site

Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48699

Postby beeswax » April 26th, 2017, 1:48 am

Hi RR, thanks for that as usual..

Thing is the problem I have now is that Christianity in particular, weakens human minds or tries to by advocating that we are all sinners, have fallen away from God, that we are unworthy to an extent I've seen many people break down in church because they feel as though they can't live by the standards that Jesus set and that is even before the condemnation of people's lifestyle while many of the Priests doing the condemning were abusing children. And then tried to cover it all up.

Freedom from religion is essential to free human minds from the misery of ancient religious text that was pagan and myth and has no value other than causing division and conflict through the ages. Yes, secularism has its problems but it is more thinking and is more compassionate and tolerant than what is ascribed in religious text. In other words its time to grow up and use our own minds and our own values that are far superior to that found in religious faith. Slavery was accepted in the bible and most people acknowledge that was evil and wrong...Its time they expanded their minds more..with respect!

What then is the value when we KNOW what love and compassion is and what the golden rule is? IF people of all faiths threw away their religious text, would they live a better life or worse life or make no difference at all? Its more of philosophical question too...I suspect it would lead to a better way of life for millions who are enslaved still by it..and we know who they are?

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48701

Postby RowdyReptile » April 26th, 2017, 2:39 am

beeswax wrote:Hi RR, thanks for that as usual..

Thing is the problem I have now is that Christianity in particular, weakens human minds or tries to by advocating that we are all sinners, have fallen away from God, that we are unworthy to an extent I've seen many people break down in church because they feel as though they can't live by the standards that Jesus set and that is even before the condemnation of people's lifestyle while many of the Priests doing the condemning were abusing children. And then tried to cover it all up.


I would suggest then you that remove the "sin" word, and ask yourself if you are perfect. The admonition in the NT is to be perfect, as your father in heaven is perfect. As you state, it does make some have issues, but I think they are losing the plot. Obviously, no one can be perfect or "sinless". Perhaps maybe we are to learn from those weaknesses to become more, dare I say it, God like. That is the ideal, but it is unrealistic to think we can achieve that in this life. If it makes some "breakdown" as you say, then they might have other issues. A psychiatrist is warranted here I would suggest.

beeswax wrote:Freedom from religion is essential to free human minds from the misery of ancient religious text that was pagan and myth and has no value other than causing division and conflict through the ages. Yes, secularism has its problems but it is more thinking and is more compassionate and tolerant than what is ascribed in religious text. In other words its time to grow up and use our own minds and our own values that are far superior to that found in religious faith. Slavery was accepted in the bible and most people acknowledge that was evil and wrong...Its time they expanded their minds more..with respect!


I think you have to be consistent. There are many ensnaring views and ideas, be they religious or secular. To lament one, and ignore or dismiss or minimize the other leads some to think you have an agenda. It might also, if I did not know better, lead one to think you a hypocrite, as you certainly call those of faith.

beeswax wrote:What then is the value when we KNOW what love and compassion is and what the golden rule is? IF people of all faiths threw away their religious text, would they live a better life or worse life or make no difference at all? Its more of philosophical question too...I suspect it would lead to a better way of life for millions who are enslaved still by it..and we know who they are?


Do you read the words you type? Oh, just throw away your faith and its text....problem solved. Let's pretend for a moment we all did that. What do you offer? The secular world only offers the same deception, malfeasance, dishonesty and I could go on. Sometimes I wonder who is the more delusional...those of faith or the atheist/agnostic. You put your faith in government, or some idea of majority rule. What a load of dog squeeze that is.

I would posit that if the secular world threw away their god like faith in government, the world we be a better place.

RR

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48702

Postby RowdyReptile » April 26th, 2017, 3:10 am

Another brief musical interlude......truly stirring stuff....for some.

And should we die before our journey's through,
Happy day! All is well!
We then are free from toil and sorrow, too;
With the just we shall dwell!
But if our lives are spared again
To see the Saints their rest obtain,
Oh, how we'll make this chorus swell--
All is well! All is well!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5vWgEsmVms

Grace shall be as your day.

RR

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48706

Postby Halicarnassus » April 26th, 2017, 6:50 am

beeswax wrote:
I know EXACTLY what Christians think, being I was one for over 50 years...And I know what Catholics think and do as I have been to their services, like I have been to many others.


Sorry my friend but that is pretty weak. You may know what YOU think but not all Christians. And even more astounding is your claim to know what Catholics think because you have been to a few of their services. Breathtaking.

The fact is you don't know.

beeswax wrote:
So you have no problem with evolution then? Good, we are making progress. Now IF you do, then you surely have to dismiss the creation of Adam and Eve by God as we are now, the conversation by God in the Garden of Eden and them disobeying God and therefore there was no fall and no sin original or otherwise that mankind needs saving from? No talking snake and no Satan. And NO need for Jesus to die for anyone's sin? That is just for starters...


This is cringe worthy. It's difficult to know where to start... You make the fundamental and childish assertions that prescribe a one or the other hypothesis: science or religion, it can't be both. That is poor poor reasoning. Realists see that both work together harmoniously.

For example the Young Earth Creationists that you allude to belong to a heretical breakaway sect of Protestantism who literally believe that Adam and Eve and the universe was created in 6 days. Immature, dogmatic, atheistic, scientific deterministic folk jump on this (surprise surprise) and illogically subscribe the views of a kind of loony sect of heretical Christians as the mainstream Christian thought.

Dawkins does this. You do this. It is quite simply doing violence to a sacred text and its intended meaning. A meaning that was written in a popular style to communicate religious truths and not to disseminate scientific exactitude.

The ignorance/deviancy of these atheistic types cannot/will not see that subscribers to this brand of creationism make use of the Bible alone for their Faith. The fact is, Faith divorced from Reason makes men act irrationally and worse still they do it in the name of God.

Two good examples of the correct way and the incorrect way. Occam set Christianity on the road to derationalising reality whilst St Thomas Aquinas set Christianity on the road to harmonising all realities: Faith, Reason, Heaven, Earth. The former irrational was excommunicated. The latter was embraced as common Doctor of the Church.

And even most Protestants do not take a literal view. They understand that Genesis for instance, was written in such a way that would be understood and capable of bearing religious truth (as mentioned above).

Kepler, a brilliant Scientist and Lutheran, complained bitterly about the reading of scripture as textbook of physics. And the child like finger pointing by the likes of you shows basic ignorance and highlights that you have never really engaged with the subject at all, to know this.

The Bible should never ever be a player in scientific disputes because it was never meant to be.

I mean really, come on(!), do you take everything literally? When the richness of our beautiful language gets metaphorical, do you jump up and down and cry like a baby, because it's not literally true.

Do you faint when someone uses a parable or an analogy to describe as close as possible what they are striving to transmit?

No, I thought not, but when there is an agenda that's involved, eh....?

beeswax wrote:

I am not a Dawkins luvvie as he is agnostic/atheist. I am a Deist IF you know what that means, Wiki will explain. I don't follow Dawkins or have read anything he has written. So what is absurd or arrogant what I wrote?

?


So as a Deist you believe in creation. At least that is one step away from Scientific suicide.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1664
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:17 am
Has thanked: 1289 times
Been thanked: 513 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48756

Postby Clariman » April 26th, 2017, 9:55 am

Moderator Message:
Folks - please try to focus on the merits of the arguments rather than attack each other. This is not directed at just one person, lest any of you take it too personally - Clariman


As the OP, I find it deeply sad that a topic which is about religions appreciating what they have in common and their shared heritage, becomes a vehicle for further argument about the differences.

Hey-ho.

beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48760

Postby beeswax » April 26th, 2017, 10:00 am

Thanks, you now accept the bible should not be taken literally. And should be treated philosophically and metaphorically as that was intended all along by the writers and early Church Fathers? In other words, a work of fiction and not actually the word of God who never spoke literally to Adam in the Garden of Eden and therefore there was no fall and so no need of mankind's redemption as demanded by God by sending his only son to redeem the world?

So there was no mosaic law dictated by God and nobody should have been stoned to death for anything and homosexual acts are not disordered and intrinsically evil as the Catholic Church has and still describes them and Paul was wrong when he said Adam was the first sinner and Jesus the first redeemer and so that was all metaphorical and that there was no need for Jesus to be crucified and could have died in his bed as there was no vindictive God out to punish the world and there was no original sin to be forgiven?

If so that is totally against all what the Christian Church has taught for the last 2000 years and still is, including the Catholic Church who spends all its time on a mass that based on fiction? If so, I am perplexed as what church you belong to? The Scientists perhaps?

It would seem as though all the Christian Churches I have been to over the last 50 years have been telling lies all along then and they really have got the whole thing mixed up in a philosophical discourse?

If so then I agree...only go to ANY Christian Church including the Catholic Church and try and tell them all what you said and be drummed out the place.

I wonder why the Church bothers with baptism and the cruel history of the Catholic Church where they refused to allow new born babies burial in the church grounds because they had not been baptised and insist that is a necessary to get to an allegorical non existent heaven which means there is no literal hell either? And why 800 baby corpses have been found in the grounds of a Catholic Establishment in Ireland that were for unmarried mothers who were sent there because they had sinned and condemned by the church and society because of the bible's moral teaching?

I really am all mixed up then and its all a dream and John Lennon was right in his song about heaven?

Babies are not sinners and have no need of redemption by man or God and by the way no need for the confessional and no need for the Catholic Church to have sold indulgencies to raise money to build the Vatican and all its palaces world wide? No sir, it didn't have the 'keys to the kingdom' then and the Nicene Creed which is spouted at every mass is just a figment of imagination as was the Trinity and no need for hail Mary's....I'm really confused now....;)

OK just a final question then?

Why did Jesus have to die for all mankind if it was all metaphorical? Maybe you can tell him and Saint Paul when you get to see them in the next world?

I wonder why an ordained Priest is required to wave his hand over the wafers and wine at every single mass like a Paul Daniels magic show to try and convince the congregation they really do get changed into the body and blood of Christ? Some great act you all have going then! Only some people may call that deception on a grand scale?

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48774

Postby Halicarnassus » April 26th, 2017, 10:32 am

beeswax wrote:
OK just a final question then?

Why did Jesus have to die for all mankind if it was all metaphorical?



You know, I just looked at your post and sighed. You have read/understood nothing.

Who said all metaphorical?

You did, not me. Please go back and re-read what I said. Sigh.

Anyway. Your slights about religion over many threads and posts is betraying your pedigree I'm afraid.

Aggressive and uncalled for.

Still, we all have to pay the piper in the end.

All the best.

Out.

beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48827

Postby beeswax » April 26th, 2017, 12:36 pm

OK I will just ask you as a Christian..

Do you believe there was a 'literal' Adam and Eve created by God as we are now and they had a conversation in the Garden of Eden? Then just a simple follow up..if the fall didn't happen then why does God demand a human sacrifice to atone for our sins? I'm pretty sure the last time I checked the Catholic Church still believes in original sin even though they now believe in evolution. Perhaps you can clarify please? They can't have it both ways.

Just to say that you never answered any of my points in detail and Christians never do and then try and say its muddled thinking and aggressive. Its not intended to be although it must be frustrating but if the Church is to continue with a skeptical public, then they have to answer these eventually or die out.

Who gets to decide what is literal and what is metaphorical in the bible?

What IS my pedigree and what does that mean? Have you ever read Thomas Paine's 'The Age of Reason'? I recommend it to all religious people and he had no axe to grind and just was searching for the truth, in fact just like I have...

Oh just to add, that I have add many conversations with religious people directly and online and they all end up doing exactly what you may do....walk away!

beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48832

Postby beeswax » April 26th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Clariman wrote:
Moderator Message:
Folks - please try to focus on the merits of the arguments rather than attack each other. This is not directed at just one person, lest any of you take it too personally - Clariman


As the OP, I find it deeply sad that a topic which is about religions appreciating what they have in common and their shared heritage, becomes a vehicle for further argument about the differences.

Hey-ho.


Wise words but they really don't have that much in common only possibly believing in a Monotheistic God...To all extents and purposes they are poles apart and Christian sects are too..That is why 20 centuries on, there has been no agreement between any of them and so why would they start now...

beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#48864

Postby beeswax » April 26th, 2017, 1:51 pm

[quote="Halicarnassus"]

The Bible should never ever be a player in scientific disputes because it was never meant to be.

Hmm, can you explain why the Catholic Church had a problem with Galileo then?

Also I wondered why the CC makes a huge issue over contraception when trillions of sperm and trillions of eggs are destroyed every single day naturally and yet they think when one gets through that's a miracle? ;)

Its a serious issue like many more why I have the problem I do with organised religion. Power and control!

Believers do like to think there is no conflict between religious belief as per their text and science and that both agree with or compliment each other...They try and they fail! You are wrong that 'Young earth creationists' are a modern break away cult of Protestants. That was the view of ALL people of the abrahamic faiths until the scientific age and the enlightenment and still is the view of many Christian Churches which I've been to anyway and btw...You say that going to a few church services cannot be the basis of understanding what they are about? That is incorrect as well. You can get a flavour of any of them even going once and definitely when its a number of times and they all do very much the same thing each time...bible readings, the eucharist which the CC does in spades and a few songs good and bad and a few prayers and then organised weddings and funerals and sunday schools which indoctrinate children which are dying now, thank God...;) I wouldn't mind if the CC did a few good sermons like Billy Graham used to but they think a 5 minute homily does the job and they don't have the time really as they are all queuing up to take the wafer and wine. One hour or less service and over half that time in a queue...Maybe you have a different experience?

If its really over and out, then thanks for your contribution..

God I forgot the most important thing they all do...

Collection time, get yer money ready! ;)

I know a lady/friend who went to the Salvation Army Services like I used to for a couple of years and they give each member an envelope to put their money in each time.She couldn't go that often and so produced four or five envelopes a time and I asked her why she just didn't put all her contribution in one envelope? "Oh they would rather it go in each one" she said...No I said its because they think putting in a tenner each time is far likely than someone putting 50 quid in....;) I gave them a cheque for a thousand pounds one time even though I wasn't a member and then they started giving me an envelope and I gave it back with nothing in....Its the way my mind works...;)

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49037

Postby RowdyReptile » April 27th, 2017, 1:14 am

Clariman wrote:
As the OP, I find it deeply sad that a topic which is about religions appreciating what they have in common and their shared heritage, becomes a vehicle for further argument about the differences.

Hey-ho.


It does seem puzzling that people of the various faiths do not concentrate on the common ground. Then again, those of faith are but a microcosm of the issue.

Why doesn't all of mankind try to unite in that which we h ave in common? Your question about the religious is certainly valid, but it is one example of a greater issue, imho. Some of these quarrels we have around the world seem to me to not amount to a hill of beans, but we seem determined to throw an amazing amount of ordinance around because of them.

RR
Last edited by RowdyReptile on April 27th, 2017, 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49039

Postby Halicarnassus » April 27th, 2017, 1:17 am

And I'm struggling to think about anything to unite Islam - The heresy of heresies - with Christianity. And Judaism rejects Christ as God which unfortunately kind of puts a blocker on unity with Christianity.

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49043

Postby RowdyReptile » April 27th, 2017, 1:36 am

Halicarnassus wrote:And I'm struggling to think about anything to unite Islam - The heresy of heresies - with Christianity. And Judaism rejects Christ as God which unfortunately kind of puts a blocker on unity with Christianity.


Well, since there is but one God, and all the major faiths have evolved from that God, to an atheist, it might be a bit puzzling as to why we do not simply get back to basics and concentrate on those.

The reason we don't, I would imagine, is about power and control We can certainly agree on a great many things, but in the end, the conversation gets around to a particular version of the Gospel, and it all goes to....feces....at that point.

The secular world is the same, but this board is about faith I guess, and the question remains, and it is a good one.

The answer: I don't have the faintest freaking clue why we don't orbit around the common, other than some one some where has a stupid point to prove. The whole thing seems damn silly, but killing seems the best way these "religions of peace" prove they are kind and peaceful. Makes no sense, but that is the reality.

RR

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49045

Postby Halicarnassus » April 27th, 2017, 1:46 am

RowdyReptile wrote:
Well, since there is but one God, and all the major faiths have evolved from that God, to an atheist, it might be a bit puzzling as to why we do not simply get back to basics and concentrate on those.


I think that is the sticking point there, as discussed earlier on this thread or another: These monotheistic religions do not have the same God. Take Islam for instance: their Holy Book basically is a call to arms to convert or kill the whole world unless they become Muslims: it is illogical for this notion of God to hold water; Allah and Christ for example are complete opposites. Judaism rejects the Christian Trinitarian God: Believing in a Unitarian God and at the same time a Trinitarian God is impossible: cognitive dissonance.

Cheers :D

beeswax
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1953
Joined: December 20th, 2016, 11:20 pm
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49048

Postby beeswax » April 27th, 2017, 2:31 am

Its easier to imagine the Creator God as a spirit that can be anything he/it wants to be. eg a rustle of wind through the trees, a sunbeam or rainbow, a flower or thorn and even man or beast. And therefore we are all a product of that same holy spirit. Sons and daughters where human kind is involved. And therefore the probability of him/it having an 'only' son highly unlikely and defies reason and logic because that is how humans think. We do know the OT said that God was the only God, and there was none before and none afterwards and there is absolutely no mention of him having an only son that was with him at any time which IF the trinity was true, there would have been surely? Jesus referred and deferred to his Father in heaven and so that rules out him being God anyway. That doesn't need much thinking about and so the trinity does not need to be part of the Christian faith and just created some time later to try and explain where Jesus fitted in and how he could be worshipped the same as God the Father and so lets make him a 3 in 1 God.

I agree Islam was born out of violence compared with Christianity which was born out of pacifism and so the two cannot sit easily together. I suppose the only solution is all for them all to become part of the Jewish Faith as Jesus was and start afresh. And start a new holy book revised for today that does that and say its a command from God or me if you like! ;)

BTW they do worship the same God of the bible...That is beyond doubt. Jesus is a distraction where that is concerned. Recall what Jesus said in the NT? "Why call me good, only one is good and that is God" If anyone can interpret that as meaning anything other than he believed he was not sinless or that he was God, needs to explain that away and I don't think they can....I think making such stuff up as the later Church clearly did has been counter productive...imo anyway.

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49051

Postby RowdyReptile » April 27th, 2017, 2:47 am

Halicarnassus wrote:
I think that is the sticking point there, as discussed earlier on this thread or another: These monotheistic religions do not have the same God. Take Islam for instance: their Holy Book basically is a call to arms to convert or kill the whole world unless they become Muslims: it is illogical for this notion of God to hold water; Allah and Christ for example are complete opposites. Judaism rejects the Christian Trinitarian God: Believing in a Unitarian God and at the same time a Trinitarian God is impossible: cognitive dissonance.

Cheers :D


The atheist might take a hit at you for the "convert or kill" notion. The OT is full of, well, the same idea.

I would say believing in a Trinitarian God makes little sense either, but If you do, I can live with that. The Godhead consists of three separate and distinct entities. However, there is only one heavenly father. Even Christ said, he must leave, or the "comforter" cannot come. Fascinating stuff really.

RR

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49052

Postby Halicarnassus » April 27th, 2017, 2:52 am

RowdyReptile wrote:
The atheist might take a hit at you for the "convert or kill" notion. The OT is full of, well, the same idea.


True but as Christians, not Jews, understand it, the Old Testament was superseded and fulfilled by the New Testament. Furthermore the Old Testament was much more about the Jews defending themselves than looking to convert or kill. I'm not a Jew, but I recognise that they have tolerance.

RowdyReptile wrote:I would say believing in a Trinitarian God makes little sense either, but If you do, I can live with that. The Godhead consists of three separate and distinct entities. However, there is only one heavenly father. Even Christ said, he must leave, or the "comforter" cannot come. Fascinating stuff really.

RR


It is. :)

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49054

Postby RowdyReptile » April 27th, 2017, 3:03 am

Halicarnassus wrote:
True but as Christians, not Jews, understand it, the Old Testament was superseded and fulfilled by the New Testament. Furthermore the Old Testament was much more about the Jews defending themselves than looking to convert or kill. I'm not a Jew, but I recognise that they have tolerance.


Sure, but there is much to be gleened from the OT. Sometimes it seems so subtle or offhanded, it perhaps is missed.

Ecclesiastes 12

7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.


You can't "return" to a place you have never been. Just musing now.

RR

RowdyReptile
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 245
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49055

Postby RowdyReptile » April 27th, 2017, 3:22 am

Another musical interlude.

Truly, some of the most powerful and matter of fact lyrics....

How blessed the day when the lamb and the lion
Shall lie down together without any ire;
And Ephraim be crown'd with his blessing in Zion,
As Jesus descends with his chariots of fire!

We'll sing and we'll shout with the armies of heaven:
Hosanna, hosanna to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given,
Henceforth and forever: amen and amen!


Not bad sounding when the full chorus sings it at about the 3:09 mark, imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsVgYHSmDu0

RR

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice
Posts: 343
Joined: February 22nd, 2017, 1:23 am
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Should Islam, Christianity and Judaism unite?

#49057

Postby Halicarnassus » April 27th, 2017, 5:37 am

RowdyReptile wrote:
Sure, but there is much to be gleened from the OT. Sometimes it seems so subtle or offhanded, it perhaps is missed.


I'm with you. I suppose I really meant to say that the OT Laws had been abrogated by the coming of Christ. He was the fulfilment.

And the Old Testament like the New, is the work of the Holy Spirit.

The Psalms are especially and play are large part in the Catholic liturgy. In fact the Roman Breviary that Priests are compelled to pray daily under pain of mortal sin, covers every one of the 150 psalms each week.

And of course the liturgy, depending on the time of the liturgical year we find ourselves in, will concentrate on certain aspects of the Old and New Testament scriptures. Abraham for instance is prominent in the liturgy between Christmas and Lent.


Return to “The Meaning of Life”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests