Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The bible-Is it true?

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Re: The bible-Is it true?

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 3:23 pm

Sorry Clariman....It is a passion of mine and have direct experience as well and so its hard not to be dogmatic and get carried away..

I'm hoping my posts provide an interesting dialogue between us all and its a shame very few believers even want to put their heads about the parapet so to speak..My experience is that they all walk away rather than engage..

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 1st, 2017, 3:41 pm

beeswax wrote:RC you asked...."Do Christians believe the New Testament was written by God? I don't think they do. "

You claim to be an atheist and yet you can say that?

You're making this stuff up, where did I say I was an atheist?

RC

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 5:15 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
beeswax wrote:RC you asked...."Do Christians believe the New Testament was written by God? I don't think they do. "

You claim to be an atheist and yet you can say that?

You're making this stuff up, where did I say I was an atheist?

RC

Well...

This is what you signed off with a few posts a ago..

"RC (Neither Christian, Jew nor Muslim)"

Of course you could believe in any number of other Gods but as far as THIS debate is concerned you are a non believer and unless you were one with some direct experience of what Christians believe in Churches and Congregations then its reasonable to question your reply?

I try not to make stuff up but if I do for humour or jest as I am prone to do then I will try and say so..

I will add this..

Just one death in this world due to religious faith is one too many and the whole world should condemn not just the people committing these crimes against humanity but the whole basis of their beliefs and I have never seen that ever by the political classes maybe apart from Donald Trump who said we need to know "What the hell is going on" when these acts are committed...Indeed we do!

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 5:31 pm

Its back to the original question that IF the bible is not true then why is ANYONE believing it is true and we have enough evidence to KNOW its not, even if some parts are. Muslims are murdering innocent men, women and children and yet claim they are doing it for God and because it says so in their religious text and are called 'radical' or fundamentalist' and so why doesn't someone question the very text they are using to justify their dastardly deeds?

And just to add balance, why the heck hasn't the Catholic Church being taken to Court for having homophobic text in their guidance whatever the Church calls it...that homosexual acts are evil and intrinsically disordered. This was used to prosecute them not that long ago and yet nobody calls for that text to be removed all because its considered as 'holy text'...I posted the link where a young Jewish girl was condemned by her Jewish Father for being driven in a car on the Sabbath..

I dunno, maybe its me that finds all this alarming and wonder if someone one day will take it all on?

Christopher Hitchens said they won't because of FEAR and the consequences of doing so ie people and property being at risk...So its OK to do these things because it was written thousands of years ago and so must be true? God was the author see!

I've even asked for all these holy texts to be revised to take account of the undesirable stuff and even if that took a hundred years to get people to acknowledge why it was revised it would be a start but again they say it was authored by God and so what chance have we got?

Wuzwine
Lemon Pip

Postby Wuzwine » January 1st, 2017, 6:02 pm

Hi all,

I was brought up by an atheist father and religious mother. My elder sister decided to get baptised at 9 years old and I as a baby I suffered the same fate. My father took years to get over having to swear on the bible, before the service started, that he would bring us up as believers.

My father and mother sent me to a church school (because it was close to home until we moved a few miles away).When I was above school leaving age I asked to drop Divinity. The school says no - if I was another religion it would be allowed. Too complicated to move school so I studied the bible and won a prize! I then studied philosophy at university.

I thought the answer as to what was "true" depended on how long after the events the book was written. However I remained a Dawkins style atheist until my mother took ill. My father organised Xmas cards for the one and only time and even got a musical friend to organise carols in the care home.

6 months later my mother died and my father didn't want clergyman to be present at the cremation service.

As we agreed on religion, he asked me and I said he should agree to it. He said NO! I said fair enough but you'll ( me bluffing) have one at your funeral!
My mother hadn't been to church for some years, but my father said he was pleasantly surprised by the clergyman's knowledge of her history, and agreed it had been the right decision to invite him.

!0 years later my father had a humanist funeral. He was still intolerant and didn't like my "wishy washy lack of strong atheist or political belief

My son is at a church school as it is nearest just over 3 miles away. He is not keen on RE but hasn't asked to drop the subject. He did drop history - my favourite subject!!

Hope you all have a happy New Year I think of my mother. She didn't go to church when she wore trousers or if the weather is like it is tonight. However it was mainly to keep an intolerant husband and son happy

Wuz

hamzahf
Lemon Slice

Postby hamzahf » January 1st, 2017, 6:17 pm

beeswax wrote:Sorry Clariman....It is a passion of mine and have direct experience as well and so its hard not to be dogmatic and get carried away..

I'm hoping my posts provide an interesting dialogue between us all and its a shame very few believers even want to put their heads about the parapet so to speak..My experience is that they all walk away rather than engage..

The important part is dialogue. Once it gets to not seeing the other side's perspective the pleasure of the dialogue wears thin. I prefer to not get drawn into an argument (after all I post on such fora for pleasure and intellectual stimulus and not to score points) and seeing dialogue expressed in terms of offering oneself as a target does not inspire me. I have deleted a few posts to you and others on this thread half-finished. I have quickly reached the point where I have to ask myself "what is to be gained by replying" when deciding to participate.

This isn't fun and frankly I think walking away from an impending flame war is a really good way of coping with a generally hostile forum before they get into full cry.

For no other reason than that it sort of fits into the tenor of a number of threads running concurrently, here's a link:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/mar ... 02561.html

Who cares? People change their minds and review their ideological and ethical compass. Consider a selection of comments on the article however (I tend to despair about such things) and note the intolerance being displayed to the content of the article. I have given up on comments on articles about Brexit and Trump, but on almost every subject the same intolerant dichotomy of views can be found in both the Guardian and the Independent (I gave up on the BBC long ago).

The internet does not appear to foster dialogue, just shouty put downs. You write interesting stuff, but tl:dr does creep in which dilutes the effect of your posts.

Have a happy new year. Unfortunately I have a stinking cold and the prospect for 2017 does not look rosy from my worldview.

Kind regards
Mr Grumpy

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 7:16 pm

Hi Hamzah, same happy new year to you and everyone else.

Point taken and we've been there so many times and its gets boring and repetitive but we only have to see the day to day damage religion is doing across the world to know we cannot relax but I also know I'm in a minority and that asking some questions as I do is pie in sky thinking but I never post to score points or recs as they used to be. I have seen at first hand the damage Christianity has had. We see daily the damage that is done and all in the name of ancient writings. The debate will go on and on and so we can just add our insignificant views here and elsewhere..

On the humanist angle for funerals. I have been to a couple and they are OKish! Its a time for the deceased family and friends to remember their loved ones and again it may be me but I have always thought it outrageous that the deceased family is almost forced to attend the funeral and put their grief on public display when least they want too...And to then expect them to attend eating some sandwiches or other afterwards and do small talk is quite bizarre. As is towing a coffin around the various places before burial. Now, I know exactly what arrangements I want for my OWN funeral and even possibly my MIL who is 98 and in a nursing home and she is quite strong physically and could outlast me...

That is to transfer my dead body where ever that is at home, in the street or in hospital to be cremated immediately or asap and then to the family burial plot where all our ashes will be interred...ie NO transfer to the undertakers to be washed and dressed and into a hearse and to any church etc just to the place where we all end up no matter what sort of funeral we have. But I have another reason! The very unreasonable cost of funerals which my late FIL was about 4000 pounds, which was about eight years ago and God knows what it costs now? But for me a complete waste of money on the dead when that money could could do some good for the living, the needy and hungry of the world and that is where the money saved will go..

My MIL was and still is a Christian who went to the same Church for over 60 years until she was no longer able to attend due to physical infirmity some 5 years ago now while she still lived at home and despite her and her late husband helping to keep their small church going over many years in financial support when they could hardly afford to...Not ONE of that congregation went to see my MIL or telephoned her or asked her to have a cup of tea with them, not even the bastard of a Pastor (see my strong views coming out again) and yet they had coffee mornings and open access for anyone walking past their church. I cannot describe the contempt I have for them all and they would no doubt all come to her funeral and sing praises to God for her life. No, no no...If I am in control of her funeral and my wife who is a Christian has some sympathy with my views..Then she will go the way i will and the money saved, given to charity.

She says that millions of Christians and many devout ones never had a decent funeral or burial in WW2 and yet God will accept them with open arms just the same....ie its a bloody rip off folks and people should do what they want to do and not what is expected they do by others... A decent send off when the deceased will never know and even if they did, I would hope they would agree with me...

Is this another religious rant?

I couldn't possibly comment! ;)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 1st, 2017, 8:09 pm

beeswax wrote:Sorry Clariman....It is a passion of mine and have direct experience as well and so its hard not to be dogmatic and get carried away..

/
Beeswax. Is it possible that they walk away rather than engage, because they do not feel that others actually pay attention to what they say. I don't think it is useful to say that the bible is "lies" even if that is what you believe.

I am intrigued that you were a Christian and asked your mother to repent on her death bed, because that sounds like someone who is 100% confident in their views being right and others wrong. Now that you are not a Christian, you post as if you are still 100% confident - but now you are 100% confident that organised religion like Christianity is completely wrong instead of right. You cannot have been both right before and right now. Logically, therefore, there have been times when your 100% confidence has been misplaced.

I would prefer it if all posters, posted with a high degree of humility even when confident of their own opinions.

C

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 8:17 pm

On this funeral thing and we are going off topic now though.

You know that some people, most eminent ones have a 'memorial' service some time after the official funeral, then why not have that as more the norm as to cut out the cost of the funeral itself and save the deceased family having to face others during the time of grief and then some old times and food could be OK?

People are choosing all sorts of coffins nowadays and some very expensive ones and I know this from experience but when you are actually choosing the coffin and the add ons, you can feel like a cheapskate when you go for the cheapest one they have...;) Any sacks or bin bags going?....It does seem a waste if you are being cremated! ...I know there was a scandal in our area some time ago when dead people were removed from their coffins before cremation and they went back to the undertakers to be re used over and over....Ermm that seems more sensible to me though...I better not post anymore although it has connotations for what people would call a 'Christian' funeral..

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 8:39 pm

Clariman wrote:

/
Beeswax. Is it possible that they walk away rather than engage, because they do not feel that others actually pay attention to what they say. I don't think it is useful to say that the bible is "lies" even if that is what you believe.

I am intrigued that you were a Christian and asked your mother to repent on her death bed, because that sounds like someone who is 100% confident in their views being right and others wrong. Now that you are not a Christian, you post as if you are still 100% confident - but now you are 100% confident that organised religion like Christianity is completely wrong instead of right. You cannot have been both right before and right now. Logically, therefore, there have been times when your 100% confidence has been misplaced.

I would prefer it if all posters, posted with a high degree of humility even when confident of their own opinions.

C

Hi Clariman,

There are so few believers posting on public forums that it makes NO difference what I say though. Of course I believed what I did when I was a Christian because I didn't think for myself or take much notice of what is in the bible text. ie I was brainwashed into group think and its only when I did, it became clear it was not true because the evidence we have shows that evidently to be the case as does thinking logically where they will tell you that God condemned the whole human race because one man ate an apple. That is clearly nonsensical and so what would be the point subverting the truth because some believers may be offended? I tell Christians to their face its a load of nonsense because religion is dangerous nonsense where I thought my mother and non Christians were all sinners and needed to believe in Jesus and who knows whether saying that to her made her feel worse about herself and affected her in some way? Its rather like the Catholic Church taking centuries before they acknowledged that Galileo was right and they were wrong....No doubt that they were grossly offended by his suggestion that his discoveries that just happened to be true..I know for a fact that Christianity has done damage to my family. I know for a fact that I have seen adults break down in Church because they think themselves as sinners and can't live like Jesus wants them to. Can atheists not understand how dangerous AND wrong this is never mind those who have been indoctrinated in it fibs.

OK...I accept it your forum and would probably keep doing what I do and have to leave at some stage. It may be conceited to think that would be a pity as so few non Christians know what its like to be one as I was...

My point is to try and save people from dangerous dogma that has no basis of truth or reason whatever. If people are offended by that, then of course I will accept censure and depart, no worries...

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 9:23 pm

I put the case of most Children who at some stage all believed in Santa Claus until such time as they came to know that wasn't true or a lie? Millions believed it and their parents would scold you and be offended if you were to tell them so at that age and time..

So what is the difference between millions believing in Santa and millions believing in God? And does the truth matter or not?

BTW, my wife is a Christian and is not offended by my views expressed here and so why should anyone else be unless it was too much of a challenge? Of course it gets repetitive and boring but someone has to do it....;)

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » January 1st, 2017, 9:56 pm

beeswax wrote: My point is to try and save people from dangerous dogma that has no basis of truth or reason whatever. If people are offended by that, then of course I will accept censure and depart, no worries...

At this point, I don't think a believer would be offended by your views. They are well known. Perhaps an eye roll or two for constantly beating a dead horse though.

Hamzahf has stated that the importance is dialogue. Dialogue is two or more people not only talking, imo, but listening. The core views by posters here are probably entrenched. The obvious way forward is to find points of agreement, no matter how few, and build on that. The world is obviously an eclectic place, and there are so many different views.

For instance, that in the course of your criticisms of faith, you are perhaps dismissing those that would agree with you on many parts of the secular side of things. Some of us don't want to force our views on others, and do not expect everyone to take The Bible, The Koran, or maybe even some others, as true, false or a way of governing society as a whole if they disagree.

To those of us of the faith like that, it can appear that the other side is the ones being, well, pig headed with no room for compromise at all.

I hope you don't feel you need to leave beeswax. Surely you can find common ground with a believer and focus on that. We all know what divides us, don't we?

Here is hoping,

RR

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 1st, 2017, 10:00 pm

Beeswax
I am not asking you to leave nor suggesting that you should. I am merely asking you to accept that others have different views - and that discussion (which includes listening, thinking and informing) is what we are aiming for here, along with respect for other's views. I would like everyone here to approach discussion with a degree of humility, because none of us have all the answers. As I have pointed out, today's Beeswax thinks that younger, confident Christian Beeswax had it all wrong. I'm asking you (and me and others) to at least hold out the possibility that we may each have it wrong now. Even if we are certain we are right, then we still need to be polite and understanding about those with different views.

Let me come at it from another angle too. You have observed that believers don't stick around for long on these discussions boards and I have seen hamzahf already consider leaving. I don't want that to happen and neither do you. But to have people of all faiths and none feel comfortable about posting here, they must feel respected and listened to - even if you don't agree with them.

It is not for me to say how your mother was when you asked her to accept Jesus and it is none of my business. However, if my Christian son does that to me (I'm agnostic/atheist) when I am on my last legs, I'll try to summon up enough energy to slap him in the face! Well, truth be known, I love him too much to do that but I won't be pleased if he does because it would be preaching (even if done out of love).

So Beeswax the same is true in reverse. If you want people to listen to and respect your arguments, then your starting point should be where THEY are now, because you won't win many people over by telling them they are believing in lies. Simply repeating your views won't win many converts if that is what you want to do. :)

Take care
Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » January 1st, 2017, 10:03 pm

RowdyReptile wrote:.
Hamzahf has stated that the importance is dialogue. Dialogue is two or more people not only talking, imo, but listening. The core views by posters here are probably entrenched. The obvious way forward is to find points of agreement, no matter how few, and build on that. The world is obviously an eclectic place, and there are so many different views.

For instance, that in the course of your criticisms of faith, you are perhaps dismissing those that would agree with you on many parts of the secular side of things. Some of us don't want to force our views on others, and do not expect everyone to take The Bible, The Koran, or maybe even some others, as true, false or a way of governing society as a whole if they disagree.

To those of us of the faith like that, it can appear that the other side is the ones being, well, pig headed with no room for compromise at all.
RR

Thanks RR. That is precisely how I would like to see discussion here develop. As you have said,listening is key.

RowdyReptile
Lemon Slice

Postby RowdyReptile » January 1st, 2017, 10:13 pm

Clariman wrote: Thanks RR. That is precisely how I would like to see discussion here develop. As you have said,listening is key.

Something I need to do a better job of, and will if I want to post here. Read, read again, think about what was written, and then maybe post something.....good tactic I think for myself.

RR

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 11:05 pm

Clariman thanks for the last couple of replies...

Its probably my age and frustrations that having seen the light as it were, I just despise what religion has done in the world and more important is still doing and I daren't really say what I really want to say and Christianity is on its knees now as more and more people realize what it is and how out of touch it is now. So job done and my guns are turned on Islam and other cultures that demean people and kill people as indeed Christianity did..But its arranged marriages and Female circumcision and that Jewish girl being condemned for driving in a car on the sabbath. Its how women are still treated in theocratic regimes and women and even children in the UK wearing the veils and head cover all because of religious dogma...Beautiful women who can't show their hair in public etc. I could go on and little time to try and say to people, please believe in God as I do but try and think what your OWN relationship should be and not what your text and so called Religious Leaders tells you. We instinctively know what is right and what is wrong. Suicide bombers must surely know its wrong to kill innocent people and especially children. Jesus loved the little children. I love the infirm people in my MIL's care home I have come to know and sing to and I have NO reason to believe that God doesn't love them too or would send them to hell for eternity. I believed the bible but never the way I could possibly do now because it condemns the innocent as well as the guilty for thought crime and non belief because their 'rules' say so..

How is it possible to convey these things into 'respectful' dialogue other than try to point out its flaws and then agreed, it turns people off because its repetitive and is not looking at the positive side of religion which is??? I could suggest people giving their time and money to good causes. Nuns looking after people in their community? Visiting people in prisons and a whole lot more and people do that because of their faith. My ex Church does none of that and I despise them for how they treated my MIL whilst telling us we are all sinners...God, I really do hate that accusation now...I hate myself for telling my mother to ask Jesus to forgive a woman who had 12 children and worked bloody hard during the war like many did and I had the temerity to say that she needed forgiveness by God to go to heaven..Just how stupid do I need to be to have believed all that stuff?

So finding ANY common ground with religious groups will be darn difficult for me..HOW is it possible to 'respect' such beliefs now when I hate myself for thinking as I did when being a 'so called' Christian for over 50 years and never really asked myself WHY?

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 1st, 2017, 11:16 pm

Unfortunately I've been in 'preaching' mode again and so over to 'listening' mode....I've Nothing more to add and so over to others to discuss and make their point of view...I'm all ears!

hamzahf
Lemon Slice

Postby hamzahf » January 2nd, 2017, 1:44 pm

beeswax wrote:Its probably my age and frustrations that having seen the light as it were, I just despise what religion has done in the world and more important is still doing and I daren't really say what I really want to say and Christianity is on its knees now as more and more people realize what it is and how out of touch it is now.

Is Christianity on its knees? From a UK and Western European perspective perhaps secularism is winning the day, but for the rest of the world I would say Christianity remains the dominant (and strengthening) religious expression. Russia appears to have embraced the orthodox church with gusto (certainly it is now portrayed as playing a central role in the current outward expression of Russian culture).

I was interested to see during a recent holiday in China just how significant Buddhism is for many Chinese. Chinese expressions of Christianity are also tolerated (and even welcomed since they promote social care for the elderly). It is external evangelical activity or expressions of faith that challenge authority that cause issues (another topic perhaps). What I don't see in these examples is that the enforced anti-religious secularism of the Soviet and Maoist eras has lasted. Particularly in China there are Taoist and Buddhist temples and shrines everywhere and it is clear they provide an ongoing cultural focus for many.

I understand your opposition to Islamism and dogmatic expressions of Islamic practice (I share them). I'm just rather bemused that you think it is job done as far as Christianity is concerned. Moderate Christians (and there are very many of them in different branches of the Church) must also feel the chilly wind of dogmatism in the air. Intolerance from all quarters is the problem we face nowadays. We fleetingly aspired to a global mentality and outlook, but unfortunately the barriers are starting to be erected again. Religion is one of the factors that could have broken down the barriers, but we are now turning it around to signify difference rather than common ground. Such a pity.

Regards
Hamzah

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 2nd, 2017, 8:28 pm

beeswax wrote:Just one death in this world due to religious faith is one too many and the whole world should condemn not just the people committing these crimes against humanity but the whole basis of their beliefs

Well quite. So as a Christian perhaps you'll volunteer to condemn all deaths inflicted in it's name?

beeswax
Lemon Quarter

Postby beeswax » January 4th, 2017, 12:07 pm

hamzahf wrote: Religion is one of the factors that could have broken down the barriers, but we are now turning it around to signify difference rather than common ground. Such a pity.

Regards
Hamzah

Hi Hamzah,

Is that really true though..re religion breaking down barriers when its seems to have done just the opposite over the last 2000 years?

My wife was asking about the 30 years war Europe where Croats were involved and I didn't actually know but that again was all about religion
[quote="beeswax"]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty_Years'_War

How ironic that Jesus was a pacifist and yet the various emerging differences even within Christianity caused so much damage and so many deaths. The same can be said about Islam and its various factions. Its probably more true than when religious belief wanes, then so does much of the conflict.

It won't stop wars and conflicts but just making the point that religion doesn't engender peace either..As that link shows tribalism and beliefs are a poisoned mix.

Return to “The Meaning of Life”