Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What if a 'Life after death' were suddenly proved?

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: What if a 'Life after death' were suddenly proved?

Postby bungeejumper » November 29th, 2020, 9:18 am

servodude wrote:It's not uncommon to watch the EEG activity therein to determine if you're "conscious" for medical procedures
- we've not yet been able to transplant consciousness

Possibly O/T, but I vividly remember a properly chilling half-hour TV drama from the seventies, in which a team of scientists were trying to pick up sentient signals from the preserved brains of various experts which were being kept in tanks on some sort of life support. After months of trying, they started getting feedback from one of the brains, which became stronger and stronger - but not necessarily in a good way.

Completely panicky, in fact. Eventually, the brain communicated to one of the scientists the appalling reality of being trapped inside itself, with no physical input, no way of controlling its fate, and the terrifying prospect of being kept like that in perpetual blackness for all eternity. It kept me awake for a week or two, I can tell you. Quite a lot more troubling than The Fly, where they did transplant consciousness!

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 29th, 2020, 4:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
servodude wrote:It's not uncommon to watch the EEG activity therein to determine if you're "conscious" for medical procedures

Possibly O/T, but I vividly remember a properly chilling half-hour TV drama from the seventies, in which a team of scientists were trying to pick up sentient signals from the preserved brains of various experts which were being kept in tanks on some sort of life support. After months of trying, they started getting feedback from one of the brains, which became stronger and stronger - but not necessarily in a good way.

Completely panicky, in fact. Eventually, the brain communicated to one of the scientists the appalling reality of being trapped inside itself, with no physical input, no way of controlling its fate, and the terrifying prospect of being kept like that in perpetual blackness for all eternity. It kept me awake for a week or two, I can tell you. Quite a lot more troubling than The Fly, where they did transplant consciousness!

BJ

That TV drama doesn't ring any bells but reminds me very much of the film 'Johnny got his gun', also from the seventies and something I wish I'd never seen and never want to see again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun_(film)

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » November 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

Probably not this one then! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_with_Two_Brains

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 29th, 2020, 4:42 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I vividly remember a properly chilling half-hour TV drama from the seventies, in which a team of scientists were trying to pick up sentient signals from the preserved brains of various experts which were being kept in tanks on some sort of life support. After months of trying, they started getting feedback from one of the brains, which became stronger and stronger - but not necessarily in a good way.

As always, Edgar Allan Poe was the master of this genre: read The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar. The ending alone is enough to put you off your dinner:
"For what really occurred, however, it is quite impossible that any human being could have been prepared.
As I rapidly made the mesmeric passes, amid ejaculations of "dead! dead!" absolutely bursting from the tongue and not from the lips of the sufferer, his whole frame at once—within the space of a single minute, or even less—shrunk—crumbled—absolutely rotted away beneath my hands. Upon the bed, before that whole company, there lay a nearly liquid mass of loathsome—of detestable putrescence."

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 29th, 2020, 8:05 pm

stevensfo wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

BJ

That TV drama doesn't ring any bells but reminds me very much of the film 'Johnny got his gun', also from the seventies and something I wish I'd never seen and never want to see again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Got_His_Gun_(film)

Steve

Never saw the movie, but the book was very good.
-sd

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 29th, 2020, 8:21 pm

The song is pretty intense...

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » December 1st, 2020, 12:26 am

What if this is purgatory. Good and you may get to leave early ... the not so good are left to suffer longer.

Only the good die young and most priests tend to be old.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 1st, 2020, 1:00 pm

1nvest wrote:What if this is purgatory. Good and you may get to leave early ... the not so good are left to suffer longer.

Only the good die young and most priests tend to be old.

Not sure about purgatory, but the theory that we're part of some kind of virtual reality or 'Matrix' type scenario makes more sense every year. Or maybe it's me getting older and crankier? ;) Seriously though, so many things happen that seem to make no sense, whether they're wars, mad politicians, Trump, Putin, Brexit or mundane things like changes in work Admin, IT and policies that cause confusion and stress with no added benefit whatsoever...etc. I often feel that I'm part of a computer game played by some spotty teenager in the tenth dimension. I just know that as soon as I/we have completed a level of the game - e.g. Covid cured/I finally get the hang of new software at work - this spotty pan-dimensional twerp is going to press a button and suddenly introduce more problems.

Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm

stewamax wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I vividly remember a properly chilling half-hour TV drama from the seventies, in which a team of scientists were trying to pick up sentient signals from the preserved brains of various experts which were being kept in tanks on some sort of life support. After months of trying, they started getting feedback from one of the brains, which became stronger and stronger - but not necessarily in a good way.

As always, Edgar Allan Poe was the master of this genre: read The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar. The ending alone is enough to put you off your dinner:
"For what really occurred, however, it is quite impossible that any human being could have been prepared.
As I rapidly made the mesmeric passes, amid ejaculations of "dead! dead!" absolutely bursting from the tongue and not from the lips of the sufferer, his whole frame at once—within the space of a single minute, or even less—shrunk—crumbled—absolutely rotted away beneath my hands. Upon the bed, before that whole company, there lay a nearly liquid mass of loathsome—of detestable putrescence."

I will never forget reading a collection of his stories that an uncle gave me when I was a teenager. Poe's 'The Tell-tale Heart' actually gave me a recurring nightmare that lasted many years. No idea why.

Unless it was something to do with all those teachers I buried in the back garden. :lol:

Steve

OneFootEight

Postby OneFootEight » December 15th, 2021, 10:52 pm

I think it would devalue life. Your loved one was murdered - oh that doesn't matter, their sould is still living somewhere. One of the reasons we value life is because we think we only get one shot at it.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » December 16th, 2021, 1:24 pm

This discovery would just alter the debate from whether there was such a state to what it would be like.

This extra existence would be considered by groups as heavenly, purgatory or hell, depending upon their beliefs.

Sort of reminds me of HHGTTG, having got the answer one then needs to work out the question.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 16th, 2021, 2:12 pm

stevensfo wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:It is such an absurd idea, I don't know where to start but there might be an awful lot of suicides in the middle east as all the young lads wanted to get to their 76 virgins ASAP :lol:

and if all life (down to bacteria etc) had this continued existence it could be very crowded

Who Knows? Research allows scientists to finally prove that there is an existence after death and they confirm that souls simply leave their four dimensions but enter others. That's all.

Scientists never prove anything. They merely offer theories which they believe fit observable evidence. And those theories may persist until someone comes up with a counter-example which disproves the theory. Which leads to a new and better theory.

So sure a scientist might claim that he has observations that prove there is an after-life. But how could we test that hypothesis and prove it wrong? Because if a scientist cannot describe a test that could disprove his theory then it is not science but rather speculative conjecture or metaphysics.

I cannot conceive of what would constitute proof of your hypothesis. Nor how it can be tested. So how can it be science?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 16th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:It is such an absurd idea, I don't know where to start but there might be an awful lot of suicides in the middle east as all the young lads wanted to get to their 76 virgins ASAP :lol:

and if all life (down to bacteria etc) had this continued existence it could be very crowded

Who Knows? Research allows scientists to finally prove that there is an existence after death and they confirm that souls simply leave their four dimensions but enter others. That's all.

Scientists never prove anything. They merely offer theories which they believe fit observable evidence. And those theories may persist until someone comes up with a counter-example which disproves the theory. Which leads to a new and better theory.

So sure a scientist might claim that he has observations that prove there is an after-life. But how could we test that hypothesis and prove it wrong? Because if a scientist cannot describe a test that could disprove his theory then it is not science but rather speculative conjecture or metaphysics.

I cannot conceive of what would constitute proof of your hypothesis. Nor how it can be tested. So how can it be science?

Maybe just coincidence, but interesting how three of you have managed to resurrect a thread believed dead a year ago. Time to persecute the unbelievers? 8-)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 16th, 2021, 3:00 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Who Knows? Research allows scientists to finally prove that there is an existence after death and they confirm that souls simply leave their four dimensions but enter others. That's all.

Maybe just coincidence, but interesting how three of you have managed to resurrect a thread believed dead a year ago. Time to persecute the unbelievers? 8-)

Cannot speak for the other two but in my case I just look at recent posts. I don't usually look at the age of the original topic nor even which board it is on.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 16th, 2021, 3:22 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Is that proof of life after death? :D

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » December 16th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Lootman wrote:Scientists never prove anything. They merely offer theories which they believe fit observable evidence. And those theories may persist until someone comes up with a counter-example which disproves the theory. Which leads to a new and better theory.

Cannot speak for the other two but in my case I just look at recent posts. I don't usually look at the age of the original topic nor even which board it is on.

Me too .

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » December 17th, 2021, 10:24 am

1nvest wrote:What if this is purgatory. Good and you may get to leave early ... the not so good are left to suffer longer.

That's pretty much the belief of the Cathars, a christian movement brutally suppressed by the catholic church in the 13th century.

They believe that there were two gods; an evil god of the old testament and a good god of the new. The evil god was the god of the physical world and humans were fallen angels, condemned to eternally live and be resurrected on Earth (effectively Hell), unless and until they renounced the material world and were able to return to the spiritual world of the good God's Heaven.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 19th, 2021, 4:36 pm

Is it assumed that only people have a second life?
What if you met the chickens ducks geese grouse sheep goats wild boar you'd eaten... and alligator was popular back in the 80s... they'd all be pretty pissed.
It might encourage vegetarianism.

V8

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 19th, 2021, 5:57 pm

88V8 wrote:Is it assumed that only people have a second life?
What if you met the chickens ducks geese grouse sheep goats wild boar you'd eaten... and alligator was popular back in the 80s... they'd all be pretty pissed.
It might encourage vegetarianism.

V8

It is an honour to serve. It is, therefore, an honour to be served up.

Bear in mind that, in this scenario, death isn't the end.

Julian F. G. W.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » December 19th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Is there a third life? So after we've enjoyed the second life we come back again, perhaps as some other type of being, or on some other planet, or in another 'dimension'. Is it possible to commit suicide in the second life? So many questions :D

The more one thinks about it, the more absurd it seems!

Return to “The Meaning of Life”