Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Not sure about philosophy

Religion and Philosophy
Forum rules
we are introducing this on a trial basis and that respect for other's views is important e.g. phrases like "your imaginary friend" or "you will go to hell" are not appropriate
Dod101
The full Lemon

Not sure about philosophy

Postby Dod101 » June 14th, 2023, 11:03 pm

Hi all
Are we whom live on the Northern edge of Europe not very fortunate? It is 10.45pm or thereby as I write and yet it is still passably light and more than passably warm. It almost makes up for just the opposite in early December, but not quite for me. I would prefer a more equitable spread but since I am here now I need to put up with it.

Take advantage of these long days and enjoy. Personally I sleep for a short time only at this time of year. I feel almost like Horace, Carpe Diem and all that.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Not sure about philosophy

Postby servodude » June 14th, 2023, 11:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:Hi all
Are we whom live on the Northern edge of Europe not very fortunate? It is 10.45pm or thereby as I write and yet it is still passably light and more than passably warm. It almost makes up for just the opposite in early December, but not quite for me. I would prefer a more equitable spread but since I am here now I need to put up with it.

Take advantage of these long days and enjoy. Personally I sleep for a short time only at this time of year. I feel almost like Horace, Carpe Diem and all that.

Dod

Takes me ages to get used to sleeping in light or with lights about (a good mask helps - cucumber/hydration optional ;) )
It's alright if I'm living where it happens as it creeps up on you - but I find it worse than jet lag if I travel far along a line of lattitude
Spent a few days near Luleå once during midsummer and I was a total zombie

On the other hand I found it weird that when my kids were younger they would get freaked out by the dark
- they never really had to spend much time outdoors without light so would find trips to the north of Scotland "scary" during winter

As long as I can sleep I like the variety - and I prefer a long sunset to the "lights out" near the equator

-sd

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » June 15th, 2023, 6:08 am

Dod101 wrote:Hi all
I would prefer a more equitable spread but since I am here now I need to put up with it.
Dod

The seasons are good.

Geese go North as Swallows arrive then Swallows depart and Geese arrive, amazing.
Winter Barley sprouts and the buds appear on the trees, amazing.
Almost summer solstice and up here the sun rises almost NW then at winter solstice rises almost SE, traversing the horizon, amazing.
The colder winter allows river catchments to fill up to provide our summer irrigation and fertility.
Our climate is varied and not dominated by days at 40 degree temperatures needing to in an air conditioned bubble.
We don't experience real drought and weather induced famine.
Salmon and Seatrout start ascending our rivers now to spawn in the back end.
21 degrees today, shorts on at the golf, lovely, but I couldn't thole persistent 30 degrees.

Lot's more, we are very, very fortunate folkies in the UK.

As Jonie Mitchell sang - "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 15th, 2023, 7:27 am

scotview wrote:As Jonie Mitchell sang - "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"

She must have never had nits then?

Return to “The Meaning of Life”