Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Rowing Machine v Exercise bike

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Dod101
Lemon Quarter

Re: Rowing Machine v Exercise bike

Postby Dod101 » November 4th, 2017, 5:13 pm

Any formal machine is I am quite certain a total waste of money. Joining a fitness centre is even worse. Do people not know that most of their money comes from people throwing money at them and not turning up ever at the centre?

A brisk walk of at least an hour on alternative days is perfectly adequate.

Dod

Dad

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » November 4th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Well I disagree in part, but hey, each to their own.

bungeejumper
Lemon Quarter

Postby bungeejumper » November 5th, 2017, 9:25 am

I can't speak for others, but I know myself well enough to accept that spending a couple of hundred quid on a shiny new keep-fit machine is more likely to get me fit than having a gym membership card in my back pocket. Well, for six months perhaps.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still find gyms rather intimidating places - the smell of stale sweat, the compulsory skateboarding/bodypopping videos on the walls, and the whole macho-posing gym bunny scene. I hated school sports, and suddenly I remember why. :lol:

BJ

ten0rman
2 Lemon pips

Postby ten0rman » November 7th, 2017, 12:14 pm

I have an exercise bike. Which I use as an alternative to my daily walk when the weather is rather inclement. I'm not a natural exerciser, but since the mild heart attack I am trying to do some daily walking exercise, but I draw the line at getting wet or frozen, hence the exercise bike being used as an indoor alternative.

Actually, there is an advantage in that I can read whilst pedalling away!

ten0rman

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » November 7th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I still find gyms rather intimidating places

The people that frequent gyms don't tend to be the people that actually need to go to gyms. In other words, it's a posing palace for athletic people - the worst of whom are those that walk around the changing rooms naked with their junk swinging all over the place.

Ugh.

...but I draw the line at getting wet or frozen, hence the exercise bike being used as an indoor alternative.
Actually, there is an advantage in that I can read whilst pedalling away!

Despite trying many saddles and riding position adjustment, pushbikes give me too much pain in the....errrr... junk department. Also, as you say, the weather is a huge disincentive to going out for a walk/run/cycle. Whereas I can watch the evening news whilst rowing and then go for a shower in my own private facilities.

TedSwippet
2 Lemon pips

Postby TedSwippet » November 7th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Snorvey wrote:The people that frequent gyms don't tend to be the people that actually need to go to gyms. In other words, it's a posing palace for athletic people ...

The extent to which this is true is probably a function of the 'trendiness' of the gym and the time of day involved.

My 'gym' is actually a portion of a council/private joint venture leisure centre. I would say that overall the majority of people I encounter there are either somewhat or significantly below average fitness, range equally in age from teens to seventies, and are definitely attending to get fitter rather than simply to be seen. Cost is below £30/month, the piped music is not completely to my taste but is at least both inoffensive and very much background quiet. The staff are super-friendly and helpful. And the only video playing is BBC News24 on silent.

Snorvey wrote:... - the worst of whom are those that walk around the changing rooms naked with their junk swinging all over the place.

That, though. And arguably worse still when the owner is significantly below average fitness and/or well overweight!

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 7th, 2017, 2:36 pm

TedSwippet wrote:
Snorvey wrote:The people that frequent gyms don't tend to be the people that actually need to go to gyms. In other words, it's a posing palace for athletic people ...

The extent to which this is true is probably a function of the 'trendiness' of the gym and the time of day involved.

My 'gym' is actually a portion of a council/private joint venture leisure centre. I would say that overall the majority of people I encounter there are either somewhat or significantly below average fitness, range equally in age from teens to seventies, and are definitely attending to get fitter rather than simply to be seen. Cost is below £30/month, the piped music is not completely to my taste but is at least both inoffensive and very much background quiet. The staff are super-friendly and helpful. And the only video playing is BBC News24 on silent.

Snorvey wrote:... - the worst of whom are those that walk around the changing rooms naked with their junk swinging all over the place.

That, though. And arguably worse still when the owner is significantly below average fitness and/or well overweight!

Must go to the same Gym :lol:

I do roughly 4 sessions a week of Spin, but that doesn't help upper body so I do a Gym session where I concentrate on upper body, which includes a session on the rowing machine. To my way of thinking they do a different job. One does the legs and the other the upper body......

Raptor.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » November 7th, 2017, 3:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
TedSwippet wrote:

I do roughly 4 sessions a week of Spin, but that doesn't help upper body so I do a Gym session where I concentrate on upper body, which includes a session on the rowing machine. To my way of thinking they do a different job. One does the legs and the other the upper body......

Raptor.

If you like rowing that's good but rowing is an exercise for the legs, back and arms and probably the arms add less than the legs or the back. If you wanted to do an upper body exercise then press ups would isolate the arms and chest more.

John

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 7th, 2017, 3:28 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
Raptor wrote:
TedSwippet wrote:The extent to which this is true is probably a function of the 'trendiness' of the gym and the time of day involved.

Raptor.

If you like rowing that's good but rowing is an exercise for the legs, back and arms and probably the arms add less than the legs or the back. If you wanted to do an upper body exercise then press ups would isolate the arms and chest more.

John

Agreed but I have an elbow and wrist problem so press-ups are not an option but there are a few machines that work well for the upper body. Back and arms are my main gym occupation now, although a half hour of kettle bells does help....

Raptor.

redsturgeon
Lemon Quarter

Postby redsturgeon » November 7th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Raptor wrote:Agreed but I have an elbow and wrist problem so press-ups are not an option but there are a few machines that work well for the upper body. Back and arms are my main gym occupation now, although a half hour of kettle bells does help....

Raptor.

Never tried kettle bells. I've heard they are good though.

John

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 9th, 2017, 9:47 pm

I'm with that anonymous chap who confessed: “The secret of my abundant health is that whenever the impulse to exercise comes over me I lie down until it passes away.” :lol:

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » February 12th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Well 6 months into the rowing machine and its gong well. The form is a million times better (You tube videos help a lot here). Doing 16 to 20+ km per week regardless of the weather outdoors has definitely helped the winter blues.

No serious alcohol for months, a once a week 24 hour water only fast....oh, and I'm a week into a dechox.

Bugger me, I'm actually feeling quite healthy.

The bad news is that the wife has had me fitted with a Fitbit thing and she has the password to the app on her phone to check up on me.

Strange thing is, it actually works......

JessUK98
2 Lemon pips

Postby JessUK98 » February 14th, 2018, 12:51 pm

I’m a bit late to the party, but glad the rowing machine is working out for you.

I have a treadmill, but not used it for a while since getting the dog. Since we have to go outside anyway regardless of the weather I have been doing the odd run outside, but mainly we do lots of walking.

I also have some free weights at home. I did go to the gym, but found it inconvenient due to the distance, the amount of time it used up, and not always getting the equipment I wanted. Oh, and screaming naughty children running about didn’t help.

Mark Lauren’s “You are your own gym” is also a good book if you want to do strength training exercises in your own home.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » February 14th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Mark Lauren’s “You are your own gym” is also a good book if you want to do strength training exercises in your own home.

I'm all for that - thatnks Jess.

I've had the Fitbit thing on for about a month now and, whether it's completely accurate or not, it really does motivate you to move. The Fitbit app on your phone is quite addictive too.

JessUK98
2 Lemon pips

Postby JessUK98 » February 14th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Snorvey wrote:Mark Lauren’s “You are your own gym” is also a good book if you want to do strength training exercises in your own home.

I'm all for that - thatnks Jess.

I've had the Fitbit thing on for about a month now and, whether it's completely accurate or not, it really does motivate you to move. The Fitbit app on your phone is quite addictive too.

I think once it has your stride it’s fairly accurate (unless you like waving your arms about a lot). You can enter your stride manually or it can work it out for you after a few runs on the flat. If you manually start an activity using GPS it’s pretty much bang on. I use Strava sometimes as well, and I’ve compared the two and they have shown the same mileage for the same walk. Not quite sure how accurate the automatically recorded activities are though. Whenever I do the gardening it records it as biking, so I manually change it to gardening :lol:

Agree that the Fitbit app is motivating. I’ve joined the corporate group at work and we have step challenges with various other parts of the company in different parts of the world. We also start our own local workweek hustle. That’s the best, as we are constantly trying to off the chap that is usually always first. I’ve come first a few times, but I usually get knocked into second or third place. Probably be last this week as I can’t walk very far at the moment with my stupid foot.

GeoffF100
Lemon Slice

Postby GeoffF100 » March 19th, 2018, 6:59 am

Dod101 wrote:A brisk walk of at least an hour on alternative days is perfectly adequate.

The evidence says otherwise. An hour a day has been found to be better than half an hour a day, and one and a half hours a day better than an hour a day. More may be even better, but we do not have enough evidence to be sure. Intense exercise (provided that you are capable of it) has been found to be more effective than moderate exercise of the same duration.

In practice, the best exercise is the longest duration and most intense exercise that you will actually do. Cardio vascular exercise is the most important to keep you healthy, but do not neglect flexibility and resistance exercise.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » March 20th, 2018, 11:29 am

2 different days of Fitbit.

Last Thursday, I intentionally minimised my activity for that day (at work, behind desk etc) - other than climbing a flight of stairs 11 times.

Result = 2306 calories.

On Saturday, I had an active day (brisk walk around the town, rowing session, stair climbing general working around the house)

Result = 3,630 calories.

Conclusion. It's dead easy to use the first 2306 calories, but using half as much again, is twice as hard!

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » April 8th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Well I made it through the loooong Scottish winter (I hope!) by replacing alcohol with exercise - notably the rowing machine mentioned at the start of this thread and lunchtime walks at work and leaving the car at home and walking on many other ocassions

The rower has helped immensely and what started late last August at (barely) 20 minutes sessions before collapsing in a wheezing heap is now (fairly) strong one hour sessions a few times a week. I used to enjoy cycling 30 odd miles at a time but the winter weather just makes it to easy to give it a miss - plus it hurt / numbed my...errrr... junk (despite trying various combinations of padded shorts and saddles).

The other instrument of fitness has been the Fitbit bought for me at Christmas. Whether they're accurate or not is irrelevant. They motivate you to go and do something.

Right, time for a pint! ;-)

ten0rman
2 Lemon pips

Postby ten0rman » April 8th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Further to my comments a few posts above about trying to do regular exercise after the heart attack, I find that my daily walk of a fraction under 2 miles takes about 45mins. I know this is slow but I don't seem able to speed up, but since the idea is provide moderate exercise for the heart, I consider that as long as it doesn't change, then that should be ok.

In respect of the exercise cycle, there are four dials - kph (no, it's not mph), calories, distance in km & time. There is also a graduated tension dial from 1 to 8. Initially, it was ok on level 2 for 30 mins, but very hard if I switched onto level 3. Under this regime, I found that I used 240 calories, in 30 mins covering a distance of 10km at an approximate speed of 20 kph. However, over the three years I've been using it, I've gradually crept up such that I can now do in excess of 10km, and in excess of 250 calories at a speed of about 22kph at level 3 for the full 30 mins.

So although the walking doesn't appear to have improved, the cycle performance certainly has.

Incidently, when I was on the rehabitation course after the heart attack, I was encouraged to rate my exercising in accordance with the Borg scale, aiming for a perceived rate equivalent to about 13, ie about somewhat or moderately hard.

Regards,

ten0rman

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » May 6th, 2018, 9:16 pm

....a once a week 24 hour water only fast....

Autophagy. The process of cell regeneration. I remember Michael Mosely talking about it in the original 5:2 documentary all those years ago. He didn't use the term autophagy though.

New lifestyle books are saying the process can be "switched on" by changes to our diet and lifestyle, such as fasting - already popular with many of those who follow the 5:2 or Fast Diet.

It's the future of self medication

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-44005092

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”