Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Rowing Machine v Exercise bike

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Pastcaring
Lemon Pip

Re: Rowing Machine v Exercise bike

Postby Pastcaring » July 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Snorvey wrote:I'm toying with getting an exercise machine before winter (there's a pile of Tesco vouchers lying around that need to get spent)

This is because if I'm bone idle in the summertime, I'm positively hibernatory (?) in the winter. Even if it's only 20 minutes of high intensity stuff, it's better than nothing.

So....I quite like the idea of a rowing machine because it seems to work more muscle groups. I have a turbo trainer for the bike, but it's freezing in the shed over wintertime and it's too big for the house. I need to get home from work and then be able to jump straight on it before I get settled down for the night.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? Rowing v exercise bike....or something else.

Different country etc but a bike for me.Luckily we have the weather in Perth,and it is fairly flat,a bit like Holland.

If I don't get my daily 50 klms in I feel sick, bundle of nervous energy with my legs twitching . If there is cricket on the radio all the better ( roll on summer ).

The lift your own weight machines on the south Perth foreshore are great ,gaze over the Swan river at Perth.Loads of people cycling,jogging,walking etc

Lately there have been quite a few of those elliptical bikes going past,a cross between jogging and cycling by the look of then,I' m trying to hire one for a week to see if I can use one, or if it is a bit too much.They don' t look as if they are any good for even gentle hills.

If I lived in the UK I think I would be staying in the house too.

Next year I' m really keen on riding from Frankfurt to Amsterdam,revisit my Auf weidersehen pet days from the 1970,s.Then a ride up the Tyne Valley from Tynemouth to as far as I can get,with a bottle of brown ale at the Boathouse pub in Wylam.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » August 6th, 2018, 11:50 am

The year of the erg.

Modern indoor rowers are often known as ergometers (colloquially erg or ergo), an ergometer being a device which measures the amount of work performed. The indoor rower is calibrated to measure the amount of energy the rower is using through their use of the equipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_rower

I bought my indoor rower a year ago and have used it several times a week since then.

After looking at what was available with my list of requirements, I decided to go for a water rower. Basically there are 3 types of machine. Magnetic (generally cheap n cheerful), air (as in the Concept 2 which is probably the most popular serious rower in the world) or water (were a paddle is drawn through a container of water).

As I discovered from day 1, technique is everything with rowing. Once you get that and your breathing sorted it is a very enjoyable way of keeping fit, particularly in the wintertime, after work......when it's dark. Stick your favorite album on and get to work. Oh, and buy a fan. It's warm work.

My first efforts were, quite frankly, pathetic. barely 300 strokes had me slumped over, a wheezing wreck. But i persevered....And persevered with it. Now the norm is an 8km run (although if I'm feeling good I'll push on to 10km). I try and do 3 or 4 sessions per week. I mix the sessions up between a single long run or ocassionally 4 x faster 2000m rows with 2 minute rest intervals.

I have to admit, the cost of the thing is a major incentive to use it.

I'm not saying a rowing machine is the way you should go, but it was the way for me.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » August 6th, 2018, 11:56 am

Pastcaring wrote:
Lately there have been quite a few of those elliptical bikes going past,a cross between jogging and cycling by the look of then,I' m trying to hire one for a week to see if I can use one, or if it is a bit too much.They don' t look as if they are any good for even gentle hills.

I wondered what you meant by this, so went for a look. I think I've found a picture of one -

https://cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images ... icycle.jpg

He does seem to be going up a bit of a hill, but I wonder if they've simply tilted the camera a bit!

A video here of a couple of different types in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpd2AfsFU4

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Pastcaring wrote:

I wondered what you meant by this, so went for a look. I think I've found a picture of one -

https://cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images ... icycle.jpg

He does seem to be going up a bit of a hill, but I wonder if they've simply tilted the camera a bit!

A video here of a couple of different types in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUpd2AfsFU4

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

They look like an accident waiting to happen :D
How on earth you are supposed to steer in a tight space while pedalling is beyond me. Think I'd rather ride a penny farthing.

--kiloran

Itsallaguess
Lemon Quarter

Postby Itsallaguess » August 6th, 2018, 1:26 pm

kiloran wrote:

How on earth you are supposed to steer in a tight space while pedalling is beyond me. Think I'd rather ride a penny farthing.

I totally agree!

I think the design-intent is that all other road-users will take the same view, and as-if-by-magic will create more than enough space for the devices to operate in, just to avoid disaster themselves!

;)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Watis
Lemon Slice

Postby Watis » August 6th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
kiloran wrote:

I totally agree!

I think the design-intent is that all other road-users will take the same view, and as-if-by-magic will create more than enough space for the devices to operate in, just to avoid disaster themselves!

;)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

It seems to me that, if there was a sudden need to put a foot down, the other foot would have no resistance and the device would surely be propelled either forward or backward, depending on which stage of the rotation the other foot was at. Or not - it's unclear from the photo whether it's a free or fixed wheeler.

Watis

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”