Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Learning to cycle when no longer young

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
hermit100
Lemon Pip

Re: Learning to cycle when no longer young

Postby hermit100 » March 24th, 2017, 2:32 pm

Reading 77ss's post reminds me that a lot of local councils will provide free beginner cycle training (unless it's all been axed with the cuts!). Worth asking your local council if they have any sessions.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 24th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Mike88 wrote:The original post contained the following sentence where electric bikes were specifically mentioned:

Bah. I sit corrected.

Since uphill appears to be an issue, perhaps I should say something about it. The key to doing the uphill is to have the right gears, but just as important, you need a frame of mind that can relax and go really slowly. The natural thing is to pedal too hard until you're sweating and panting profusely. That's fine with the right combination of intention, youth/fitness, and a shower to go to, but not for all of us! Mentally you have to force yourself to slow down and do the hill at - if necessary - a slow walking pace.

Corollary: seek out routes that avoid uphill stretches where you'll be holding up faster traffic. Preferably those free of motor vehicles; failing that, somewhere there's ample space for them to pass you.

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » March 25th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Regarding flattish routes, I find Google Maps very useful. If you select alternative routes, you will get a elevation graphic and the amount of up and down.

Then, when riding, use an earpiece in one ear to listen to the directions. A irritating niggle for me is that the turn instructions are about 100 yds before the turn (same as it would be if driving).

mussorgsky

Postby mussorgsky » April 3rd, 2017, 9:40 am

It's worth also contacting your local Breeze champion (www.letsride.co.uk/breeze). This is a Britsh Cycling initiative to get more women cycling recreationally.

I am younger (late 40s) and did learn to ride a bike when younger* but also have severe arthritis and joint problems such that cycling is one of the few sports that are still possible. I recently completed a couple of confidence and skills session run by Breeze in conjunction with our local council (age range 30-70 on this one, there are older women riding with Breeze). In this area, if you approached them as a complete novice, they'd either run a complete beginners course or have given me details for a local cycling tutor. They also run a series of guided rides each week (some quite short) which are social and a great way of building confidence.

Obviously, I don't know the specifics of your arthritis but I would say don't be put off my some aches and pains in your joints when you're getting started including places you might not initially expect like thumbs, elbows, etc. These do get easier each time and I've found the strengthening and fitness benefits lead to reduced problems in the long term.

Regards
M

*just pootling up and down the street on a kid's bike up to about 11, nothing more than that.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”