Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Cataract surgery

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Cataract surgery

Postby 88V8 » June 8th, 2023, 9:49 am

scotia wrote:(I understand that around 2% of cataract ops involve capsular rupture).

Yes, that is on a long list of potential side-effects which fortunately I have not so far experienced.
Mine was done by a consultant... I realise that surgeons have to learn, but perhaps selfishly I prefer that they learn on someone else!

I am going to wait until next year to have the other eye done, if indeed I proceed at all.

Hope your next op goes more smoothly. Have you noticed a great difference in vision so far?

V8

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 8th, 2023, 10:40 am

88V8 wrote: Have you noticed a great difference in vision so far?
V8

Not really - I think my cataract was at an early stage. There seem to be more floaters in the eye with the cataract -removed. The rupture required a re-positioning of the inserted lens, so currently I have two eyes with quite different characteristics - the one with the cataract removed is better focussed at near objects, while the other is the opposite. So I currently have a suitable pair of reading glasses, and a pair of driving glasses. The driving glasses are not strictly necessary - but they give some improvement over no glasses. I suspect I will need new glasses after the second operation.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » June 8th, 2023, 3:47 pm

I recently had the right eye done and have had the all clear,- just waiting for new lens for my glasses. (They put a distance lens in the eye as I am short-sighted, though I still need glasses due to having an astigmatism). The optician didn't think the left eye needed doing yet and the consultant said that it didn't need doing yet and certainly not enough to justify the risk.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 8th, 2023, 3:54 pm

richfool wrote:I recently had the right eye done and have had the all clear,- just waiting for new lens for my glasses. (They put a distance lens in the eye as I am short-sighted, though I still need glasses due to having an astigmatism). The optician didn't think the left eye needed doing yet and the consultant said that it didn't need doing yet and certainly not enough to justify the risk.

My situation is similar. One eye has an advanced cataract but the other sees fine. So my ophthalmologist advised that there is no reason to take a risk if I can see well enough to go about my daily business.

He also advised against having one eye done without a plan to do the other. Something about different fields of views confusing the brain? I might not have fully understood that.

Either way I do not need a reason to avoid eye surgery.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 8th, 2023, 4:33 pm

Lootman wrote:
Either way I do not need a reason to avoid eye surgery.

Getting older may be a sufficient reason. If its got to be done - probably better when you are fit and well.
In my case there were other eye problems which could potentially require a different type of eye surgery, and if this were carried out it could complicate later cataract surgery - hence it was decided to get the cataract surgery over and done with. Yes - I'm now tense and grumpy, but it should all be over in a week's time.
I asked about going private for the cataract operations, and although the NHS hospital made it clear that they would fully collaborate, they did say that their NHS team had expertise in both of my eye problems, and they could fit me in within a reasonable time scale - so I decided to stay with the NHS.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 8th, 2023, 7:48 pm

Lootman wrote:
richfool wrote:The optician didn't think the left eye needed doing yet and the consultant said that it didn't need doing yet and certainly not enough to justify the risk.

My situation is similar. One eye has an advanced cataract but the other sees fine. So my ophthalmologist advised that there is no reason to take a risk if I can see well enough to go about my daily business.

My optician said there was no need yet. The consultant felt it was a bit premature.
But headlamp glare... and the fuzz when the sun came out... both cured now... in the end, only you know when you need it done.

V8

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » June 25th, 2023, 5:24 pm

88V8 wrote:
scotia wrote:(I understand that around 2% of cataract ops involve capsular rupture).

Hope your next op goes more smoothly.
V8

Yes - it went more smoothly, and a lot quicker, since there was no capsular rupture. It was carried out by the Consultant.
There will be a follow-up appointment in a few weeks.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 5th, 2023, 6:43 pm

Interesting observational study which found a link between average ambient temperature and sight defects.
The hotter the worser.
Folic acid and vitamin B recommended.

V8

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 5th, 2023, 6:50 pm

A friend in the village, 85yo, is set to have a cataract op.
His pre-med was conducted in company with a plethora of other oldies.
In three weeks he will have a telephone call from the consultant, who he will not see before the op. Indeed, he has no idea who will perform the op.
He has no notion of lense options and has received no information on the procedure and potential side-effects, or if has he has forgotten it.
He was under the impression that he would be able to read without specs.

He is not on the internet and for dogmatic reasons has chosen to be treated on the NHS even though he could well afford private treatment.
A different world from my Private experience.

V8

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 5th, 2023, 8:11 pm

88V8 wrote:Interesting observational study which found a link between average ambient temperature and sight defects.
The hotter the worser.

Most of the impacts of a warming planet are fairly obvious. But here's a strange one: researchers have found that older adults living in climates with higher average temperatures suffer a significantly increased rate of serious vision impairments.

So I thought...

Reading further:

"Fuller-Thomson and her colleagues admit that they don't quite understand why this link exists. Theories include the fact that those living in warmer climates might be exposed to higher levels of ultraviolet light, which can damage the eyes"

Umm... Too simple?

:|

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 6th, 2023, 4:33 pm

88V8 wrote:A friend in the village, 85yo, is set to have a cataract op.
His pre-med was conducted in company with a plethora of other oldies.
In three weeks he will have a telephone call from the consultant, who he will not see before the op. Indeed, he has no idea who will perform the op.
He has no notion of lense options and has received no information on the procedure and potential side-effects, or if has he has forgotten it.
He was under the impression that he would be able to read without specs.

He is not on the internet and for dogmatic reasons has chosen to be treated on the NHS even though he could well afford private treatment.
A different world from my Private experience.

V8

The pre-med for my first (NHS) op took place at the hospital. Blood pressure and optical measurements were taken by nurses, and a number of health questions were asked. The cataract op took place two weeks later. The Registrar chose the lens, but he had to alter his choice when I had a capsular rupture and the lens had to be re-positioned. The result is a short distance focus.
The pre-med for the second op took place over the telephone (as I was told it would be), and the op was carried out by the Consultant a few weeks later. Before the op, the Consultant and Registrar spoke to me about the choice of a lens, but I left the decision up to them. It also has a short distance focus - so I can read and use my computer without glasses. I have yet to be tested, but I expect I will require glasses for more accurate distant vision. I chose the NHS , since I had other eye complications which were being handled by the same Hospital. The cost of private treatment was not an issue.
I'm 79, and am reasonably compos mentis. Many cataract patient are elderly, and they may not remember, nor understand, all that they are told. I would have thought that your friend should have been given explanatory leaflets which some younger friend could help them with.
Before the operations the surgeon read out to me the percentage chance of undesirable side effects, and I had to sign a disclaimer.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”