Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Heart rate monitor watch for running

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Heart rate monitor watch for running

Postby Lesleyfool » April 13th, 2018, 7:57 am

I want to buy a new one of the above.

Can anyone give any recommendations please? I have searched websites and they are not always clear about what they do.

This is what i want:

I want it to tell me my heart rate all the time ie not have to press it to find out.
If it has a chest strap it needs to be comfortable and work. I am female and have had issues with chest straps before.

This is what i don’t want

I don’t want to carry an iphone with me when i run outdoors. Not a problem if i’m in the gym.
To press a button while i’m running to tell me the heart beat.

I don’t want to pay a fortune but would do if i have to to get what i am looking for.
Any advice please?

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Re: Heart rate monitor watch for running

Postby kyu66 » April 17th, 2018, 10:15 am

I have been using basic Polar HRM watches and chest straps for years.

I just buy the cheapest model available at the time - all I want is to see an accurate HR and get a min/max for the workout.

HowardRoark

Postby HowardRoark » April 17th, 2018, 10:41 am

Yep, Polar seconded. Though I've been using a Garmin (910xt) for several years now with GPS functionality I've had on occasion problems with their own chest straps on my earlier 310xt model (solved by putting the clip-on module to a Polar strap!). Touch wood, I haven't had these issues with the 910xt.

Anyway, probably more info than you need! Polar have been a reliable supplier of working HRMs for donkeys' years. Sounds like you just need one of their basic models though check out if any of the other features on their or other brand watches would suit further down the road (e.g., setting zones, GPS, speed, etc.): you should get many years out of a Polar! But if your budget/level of need stretches to the Garmin 910xt I can recommend it: I have it set to continuously show actual HR, speed, distance, average pace on the one screen (other combinations are available, e.g., average HR for the training session, lap pace etc.). Battery life is great too.

Personally I'd stay clear of the wrist method of heart rate recording for any brand: seems to be unreliable technology in my experience (Fitbit and Polar), and can give wildly different readings from chest strap monitoring. I use my Garmin for training/races and a Polar wrist-based HRM for day-to-day use . . . the latter isn't as accurate.

Once you've made a possible choice head to https://www.dcrainmaker.com/ to see if it's listed with a detailed review.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » July 31st, 2018, 12:32 pm

Hello, I've come to this thread a bit late. You've probably bought a watch and worn it out by now, but in case you haven't, here's what I know about these devices, having had several.

There are two types of HRM watches ones with built-in heart rate monitors and ones with straps which fit around your chest. The built in HRM type have a light which shines through your skin on your wrist, and looks for the heart rate pulses. These devices (independent of manufacturer) work for some people, but not for others. I have read that they don't work very well for people with "olive" skin, but I doubt if that is a hard and fast rule. For me, it works very well, and is very accurate. (I have compared it to a watch with an HRM strap, and the numbers are more or less identical.)

Many watches with built in HRM can also use external straps if you prefer that. I know some people who use straps for running, but use the built in HRM when they are not running.

I have always used Garmin devices, because I like the user interface. Inrunning mode, you can select what the watch shows, from simple time/distance to pace, heart rate, VO2MAX etc, with between one and four fields displayed at a time. When my secondhand Garmin 205 died, I replaced it with a Garmin 25. Both of these used extarnal heart straps. I then consided buying a Garmin 35 (built in HRM), but got tempted by a Garmin 235 (built in HRM), and I'm glad I did because the 235 is a really good watch. You can download different watch faces, and apps. The prices seem to drop regularly. You can get hold of a G25 for about £76, a G35 for £129 or a G235 for £185.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you, and keep on running.

Lesleyfool
Lemon Pip

Postby Lesleyfool » August 3rd, 2018, 3:19 pm

Thanks everyone.

Just to let you know what I did.

I bought a tomtom spark 3 and liked it but after wearing it found out that tomtom were not supporting wearables any more. If I had known this when I bought it I would not have bought it. I was fortunate enough to get a full refund.

Back to the drawing board.

Decided on a polar m430. I have been using it for 3 months now and it’s great. It actually makes me go out to run and I am using it more and more. I have a desk job so have made it beep at me if i’m sitting at my computer too long. The weather has been good so I’ve been going for early morning runs and I also wear it when swimming.

I also use it on my cross trainer.

Very pleased with this buy. It syncs well with my iPad and laptop.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”