Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Damaged rib

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
wickham
Lemon Slice

Damaged rib

Postby wickham » April 24th, 2018, 6:37 am

On 19th April I was riding down a bumpy grass track on my mountain bike when the front wheel went into a rut and stopped dead and I was thrown off, landing heavily on my chest.

A rib didn't seem broken, I didn't hear or feel a crack and it's been hurting since.

On Sunday 22nd I was resting on my bed, totally relaxed, when I heard and felt a loud crack accompanied by a sting like a wasp sting. I thought "If it wasn't broken before, it is now". How could this happen just lying down? It hurt a bit more afterwards.

What is likely to have happened? Has it broken apart, or was broken before and just readjusted its alignment? Or was the noise from a joint, like some people can do by bending their fingers back?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Damaged rib

Postby redsturgeon » April 24th, 2018, 7:01 am

I assume you have been seen by a medic and have had an X-ray...

John

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » April 24th, 2018, 7:24 am

redsturgeon wrote:I assume you have been seen by a medic and have had an X-ray...

John

No. I looked at lots of online sites which all said that nothing can be done unless more than three ribs are broken and a lung is punctured. A long wait for 4 to 6 weeks is all that is required.

I have only one rib affected. I just wondered if anyone else had similar symptoms.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 24th, 2018, 7:49 am

wickham wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I assume you have been seen by a medic and have had an X-ray...

John

No. I looked at lots of online sites which all said that nothing can be done unless more than three ribs are broken and a lung is punctured. A long wait for 4 to 6 weeks is all that is required.

I have only one rib affected. I just wondered if anyone else had similar symptoms.

If diagnosis by internet forum was effective then the NHS could save a lot of money.

Seriously, you should have a professional look at this.

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 24th, 2018, 9:00 am

I had a heavy blow to the ribs a few years back (hit by a car)
Several broken I think. The paramedic checked me for a punctured lung (pneumothorax?) and usual BP etc and sent me home rather than to hospital
Nothing can be done - agree 4-6 weeks recovery typically
BUT- do get it checked out, as we are all different!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 25th, 2018, 9:30 pm

wickham wrote:No. I looked at lots of online sites which all said that nothing can be done unless more than three ribs are broken and a lung is punctured. A long wait for 4 to 6 weeks is all that is required.
Oh my giddy aunt! I presume you are a bloke because this is such a blokey way of handling things. My albeit inexpert advice is that you should haul your long-suffering body to the nearest GP and explain all.

All they very best,
Chris

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 25th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Sleeping (or trying to) with broken ribs is no fun at all.
Especially in a tent, on a thin sleeping mat, at a music festival :(

wickham
Lemon Slice

Postby wickham » April 26th, 2018, 7:44 am

csearle wrote:
wickham wrote:No. I looked at lots of online sites which all said that nothing can be done unless more than three ribs are broken and a lung is punctured. A long wait for 4 to 6 weeks is all that is required.
Oh my giddy aunt! I presume you are a bloke because this is such a blokey way of handling things. My albeit inexpert advice is that you should haul your long-suffering body to the nearest GP and explain all.

All they very best,
Chris

We are being encouraged all the time to use online advice. There are sites like NHS which are brilliant at explaining causes and remedies. My doctors are extremely busy and I would wait a long time for an appointment and then effectively waste their time.

This site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/broken-or-bruised-ribs/ tells me all I need to know.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 26th, 2018, 8:14 am

wickham wrote:We are being encouraged all the time to use online advice. There are sites like NHS which are brilliant at explaining causes and remedies. My doctors are extremely busy and I would wait a long time for an appointment and then effectively waste their time.

This site https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/broken-or-bruised-ribs/ tells me all I need to know.
Good points well made. But still, one or two practised prods from your GP and the matter might be clarified. That is what they are there for after all. Anyway, as I say, good luck whatever you do.

Regards,
Chris

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » April 26th, 2018, 8:30 am

I aplaud your reluctance to waste your GP's time. I also think you should get yourself checked out!

If, as you think most likely, it's a cracked or broken rib and there's nothing to be done other than wait, you'll have saved the NHS 10 minutes of GP time by not going to get your self-diagnosis confirmed. On the other hand, if there is something else there that is going to cause you problems and could be treated now, not getting it sorted is going to cost the NHS (or you) a lot more than 10 minutes...

Why not take the half-way-house option and call NHS 111 and get a second opinion over the phone?

Good luck and a speedy recovery
VRD

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”