Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Where to get a non-NHS hearing aids

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Where to get a non-NHS hearing aids

Postby terminal7 » October 23rd, 2018, 3:28 pm

Just had my ears tested - very efficiently - by NHS teaching hospital. Result is that I require aids for both ears - not surprised. However, the aid offered by the NHS is somewhat obtrusive and not the state of the art - hence I wish to explore the private route. I am aware that the bill could be low thousands. Can anyone advise where best to go for a possible range of aids - it seems in my area Specsavers have the private market to themselves and my past experience of them for glasses is very poor.

T7

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Where to get a non-NHS hearing aids

Postby Dod101 » October 23rd, 2018, 5:57 pm

I did what you have just done and then went to Boots. Not very impressed and was charged a lot but kept them for 3/4 years. I now attend an entirely privately owned local operation, like night and day. I have the top range of Phonak, very small and cost £4,500! That includes 5 years of free attention every six months and so far free batteries (although you can pay a bit more and get rechargeable batteries!)

Ask around; if you need hearing aids chances some of your friends will as well. I would keep away from chains if you can.

Dod

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 23rd, 2018, 7:38 pm

Boots also do Phonak Belong, and offer 2 years interest-free credit (just as well as they're not cheap). Fortunately two aids don't cost twice as much as one!

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » October 23rd, 2018, 8:54 pm

I know this is not the answer you want but the best investment I made was to use the NHS aids. They work; they work very well, they cost nothing and most people can't see them.

My late father went private at a significant cost and reverted to his NHS set as they "just worked better". But then again, he wasn't always right :roll:

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”