Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Morning exercise routine - e.g. on youtube?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Morning exercise routine - e.g. on youtube?

Postby Clariman » September 20th, 2020, 2:00 pm

As the years go by I have felt myself stiffening up a bit. I'd like to start the day with a short exercise routine that would accomplish the following (over time):

• Loosen me up a bit - or at least prevent me from stiffening up
  • Build a little more bicep muscle. I have next to no muscle here. This isn't out of vanity - just thinking that given my weight I could imagine a sad future where pushing myself up out of the bath or off a chair may get harder.
  • Just get me moving a bit first thing

Perhaps a YouTube exercise video I could follow ... or learn and then do myself.

This would be part of a wider healthier living regime which would include more walking, cycling (outside or exercise bike) and weight loss.

Thanks
C

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Morning exercise routine - e.g. on youtube?

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 20th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Clariman wrote:As the years go by I have felt myself stiffening up a bit. I'd like to start the day with a short exercise routine that would accomplish the following (over time):

• Loosen me up a bit - or at least prevent me from stiffening up
  • Build a little more bicep muscle. I have next to no muscle here. This isn't out of vanity - just thinking that given my weight I could imagine a sad future where pushing myself up out of the bath or off a chair may get harder.
  • Just get me moving a bit first thing

Perhaps a YouTube exercise video I could follow ... or learn and then do myself.

This would be part of a wider healthier living regime which would include more walking, cycling (outside or exercise bike) and weight loss.

Thanks
C

Walking or cycling are good for 'loosening up'. If you can I'd buy a machine so that you can do it indoors despite the weather, I say this because whatever routine you follow you want to make it as easy or pleasant as you can, then you are more likely to continue with it in the long run - which is what counts.

Biceps. Firstly Itsallaguess kindly posted a link to MuscleWiki, recently and I've found it very helpful:

https://musclewiki.com/

But, we all suffer from muscle loss as we get older (sarcopenia) and it also becomes harder to gain and retain muscle. It's all very well to develop your biceps (curls, would develop those) but - as I now know only too well - it is quite possible to get big biceps but have weak shoulder muscles, so that you will need to do a number of different weight\resistance exercises to keep the various muscle groups strong, so that you can easily get out of the chair or bath when you get older. I'd suggest buying a set of weights, I've just bought a set of these:

https://www.sweatband.com/york-20kg-bla ... k-set.html

because I wanted to add some additional weights to the set my son kindly left here when he moved away. For lighter weights, something like this might suit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DTX-Fitness-Dumbbell-Weight-Carry/dp/B01L2FX4PY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=DTX+Fitness+10kg+Dumbbell+Hand+Weight+Set&qid=1600613200&sr=8-5

A word of caution, if you want to avoid aches and pains (and get the full benefit of the exercises) then you must follow the correct technique, MuscleWiki or one of the countless Youtube videos will show you how.

I'd suggest starting with whatever routine you choose so that it doesn't push you too hard because if you want to remain fit then you're going to have to sustain the routine over the long term - or there's no point.

When I was young I used to exercise to be fit and because I enjoyed it. These days I have another reason - to avoid pain. I used to do a lot of running when I was younger, mainly on tarmac and developed a bad knee. I suffered with it on and off for decades and assumed that it was damaged. It was only when I saw a knee expert that it was pointed out to me that one of the muscles in my knee had become very weak did the penny drop. At that point I was doing about 80k a week on an exercise bike, so that came as a surprise. I bought some ankle weights and do some knee straightening exercises every day and now have no pain at all. More recently I've suffered from shoulder pain. I followed the suggestion on the MuscleWiki shoulder section and started doing 'shrugs'. I don't have to look further than the mirror to see that my youthful shoulder muscles have gone the same way as my youth. About a month after starting the exercises I have no shoulder pain and the back pain seems to be going too.

Good luck.

RC

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 20th, 2020, 9:34 pm

Sun salutations sound like the thing for you.
Mrs RS swears by them, does 40 every morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQK7O0QqgHQ

John

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » September 21st, 2020, 5:22 am

The word to look for on youtube is “Mobility”.

This is a mix of easy stretching and light muscle movements and is the best place to start.

It is so rewarding to feel oneself getting better at all the new movements, but it takes daily practise.

Even doing hula hoop took me many months of daily effort. The hula hoop needs to be the correct diameter and weight.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » September 21st, 2020, 9:22 am

feder1 wrote:The word to look for on youtube is “Mobility”.

This is a mix of easy stretching and light muscle movements and is the best place to start.

It is so rewarding to feel oneself getting better at all the new movements, but it takes daily practise.

Even doing hula hoop took me many months of daily effort. The hula hoop needs to be the correct diameter and weight.

I found the heavy ones much easier.

John

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » September 21st, 2020, 10:30 am

I presume you mean heavier hoops rather than heavier exercises?

I meant to say that it took me quite a while to learn to do the hula for 5 mins non-stop. And that was only anticlockwise. Still learning clockwise.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”