Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Efudix Experience?

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
feder1
Lemon Slice

Efudix Experience?

Postby feder1 » April 2nd, 2023, 12:03 pm

I have been prescribed this ointment to apply to the scalp to deal with the sun damage over a lifetime. I am folliculally challenged as they say.

It seems to be needed for several weeks and I wondered if anyone has any tips regarding it’s useage please?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Efudix Experience?

Postby scrumpyjack » April 2nd, 2023, 12:12 pm

My wife was prescribed it a few months ago to deal with some lesions on her face.
We were told to put it on for 2 weeks, have a break for 2 weeks and then repeat.

It is, I understand, a mild form of chemotherapy and so we were very careful only to put it on the affected area.

No problems really but it is obviously fairly toxic stuff!

james51

Postby james51 » April 2nd, 2023, 7:01 pm

I have exactly the same problem. You apply the cream for a couple of weeks, and the lesions ulcerate. You then stop usage, and the scabs dry up and subsequently fall off, hopefully clearing up the problem. My experience is that the affected area does not clear up completely, but that it provides a bit of control.

Let us know your experience in due course.

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » April 3rd, 2023, 4:19 pm

I have been using Efudix for many years for Keratosis (sun damage) My understanding is it only acts on damaged skin and I've found applying it a bit more widely has no impact on undamaged skin. The earlier you apply it the better I find. Once you see crusty skin or worse, some blood, it's time to apply a thin smear morning and night. The area being treated gets sore, turns red and may bleed. Scabs form and eventually drop off leaving new skin underneath. I have on occasion kept applying even though the area was already very sore because my local hospital dermatology unit said to keep going for 3 weeks. It took ages to heal so I now stop after a couple of weeks and only resume if there is still evidence of keratosis not being completely treated.
It's quite useful for spotting skin damage that isn't keratosis as skin will not react in the same way. I've had a Squamous Cell Carcinoma and a Basal version which failed to respond and made me seek surgical removal. It won't cure the problem but as Keratosis is pre-cancerous, keeping it under control is a good idea.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 3rd, 2023, 9:15 pm

forgotusername wrote:I have been using Efudix for many years for Keratosis (sun damage) My understanding is it only acts on damaged skin and I've found applying it a bit more widely has no impact on undamaged skin. The earlier you apply it the better I find. Once you see crusty skin or worse, some blood, it's time to apply a thin smear morning and night. The area being treated gets sore, turns red and may bleed. Scabs form and eventually drop off leaving new skin underneath. I have on occasion kept applying even though the area was already very sore because my local hospital dermatology unit said to keep going for 3 weeks. It took ages to heal so I now stop after a couple of weeks and only resume if there is still evidence of keratosis not being completely treated.
It's quite useful for spotting skin damage that isn't keratosis as skin will not react in the same way. I've had a Squamous Cell Carcinoma and a Basal version which failed to respond and made me seek surgical removal. It won't cure the problem but as Keratosis is pre-cancerous, keeping it under control is a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorouracil

I’m not surprised it doesn’t appear to affect the surrounding normal skin, but it almost certainly does.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 4th, 2023, 5:58 am

Thank,s everyone for the most useful replies as I wasn,t too sure whether there would be a response. It is rather relieving to hear of others dealing with this problem. Isn,t the Lemonfool wonderful!

I had an SCC removed last year and a month,s radiotherapy and don,t wish to repeat that experience. I keep reminding myself that it is nothing compared to childbirth that ladies go through.

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » April 4th, 2023, 11:09 am

feder1 wrote:I have been prescribed this ointment to apply to the scalp to deal with the sun damage over a lifetime. I am folliculally challenged as they say.

It seems to be needed for several weeks and I wondered if anyone has any tips regarding it’s useage please?

I've been using it on and off for several years. Previously I'd been advised to use it twice daily for three weeks, but more recently the advice has been to use it for three weeks, then a two-week break, then a further three weeks. If the site is bleeding or blistered, stop for a day or two until it settles, then resume.

I've also been told there is only a reaction if the skin is damaged, but the first time I used it I wasn't particularly precise about how I applied it and the scab grew to about 40mm diameter. The effect of this is still visible on my scalp as a pale patch. Nowadays I use a cotton bud to apply.

Apart from applying precisely with a cotton bud, the only other tips I have are that you should expect it to feel like a burn on your skin, as if your head has touched something extremely hot. Sometimes it will itch like mad. It will probably bleed and 'weep', so protect your pillows and pillowcases, and be careful not to stain towels. After finishing the course I've been advised to use Vaseline on the scabs to help healing and reduce scarring.

I too have had surgery to remove lesions on face, ear and neck, and although these procedures were miniscule compared with what some of my friends and family have gone through recently, I am now much more vigilant in both protecting myself from the sun and in seeking medical help with anything suspicious.

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » April 22nd, 2023, 10:26 am

After 21 days once a day thinly applioed Efudix;

Nothing happened for a week then gradually pink blotches appeared, slightly raised. After the second week, the scalp was all flat and with no significant irritation but a lot of redness visible especially on the forehead.

Now we let the skin recover itself but I understand that it will get worse for a while.

I went to buy a little scull cap or similar to cover it whilst out in public but without success. Wearing an outdoor hat in a restaurant seems unsatisfactory.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”