Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Vitamin D

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Vitamin D

Postby Fluke » May 16th, 2023, 10:59 am

Good video here from John Campbell about how the recommended daily intake of vitamin D in the UK is laughably low. Given the correlation of vitamin d deficiency with a number of serious conditions, why is it not routinely tested for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_t-EQ ... e=youtu.be

Moderator Message:
edited to replace link with the correct one from the OP's later post (chas49)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vitamin D

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 16th, 2023, 12:22 pm

Fluke wrote:Good video here from John Campbell about how the recommended daily intake of vitamin D in the UK is laughably low. Given the correlation of vitamin d deficiency with a number of serious conditions, why is it not routinely tested for?

Moderator Message:
erroneous link removed(chas49)

Interesting subject - I take a vitamin D supplement every day - but your link is to Cino Cleano Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets :)

RC

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 16th, 2023, 12:39 pm

Fluke wrote:Good video here from John Campbell about how the recommended daily intake of vitamin D in the UK is laughably low. Given the correlation of vitamin d deficiency with a number of serious conditions, why is it not routinely tested for?

Vitamin D, now conclusive that Dr John Campbell can’t critically assess a study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpc2re9pc8

RC

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » May 16th, 2023, 2:02 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Interesting subject - I take a vitamin D supplement every day - but your link is to Cino Cleano Espresso Machine Cleaning Tablets :)

RC

Oops that was for another post. Here's the link I meant to include:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 16th, 2023, 3:46 pm

Jesus, now you tell m..........<choke....croak>

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » May 16th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Tedx wrote:Jesus, now you tell m..........<choke....croak>

Well at least all your tubes will be free of coffee stains :lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 17th, 2023, 2:21 pm

I started to suffer from psoriasis about 20 years ago. Although it can't be cured (Autoimmune disease) it can be treated to some extent rather like similar problems - hayfever, dermatitis etc and doesn't bother me very much.

Then I was one of the unlucky ones who also developed psoriatic arthritis. I had some discomfort in my hands, feet and lower back.

After reading for ages I started taking Vitamin D supplements.

All problems with hands and feet went away. I still have lower back discomfort but that is getting better as I lose weight and do more exercise.

Vitamin D regulates the immune response and seems to have worked wonders.

Steve

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » May 18th, 2023, 9:35 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:Vitamin D, now conclusive that Dr John Campbell can’t critically assess a study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpc2re9pc8

RC

Is this woman aiming her presentation at primary schools or does she talk like that all the time? While interesting it was made a few months ago afaict and is not addressing the video that I was referring to which was put up only a few days ago I think. Inserting again here, hopefully this time it's not something out of my amazon basket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_t-EQIy0s

I have one of the serious conditions referred to in JC's video and I am certain I would have been chronically deficient in vitamin D at the time of diagnosis (had I been tested) given my tendency to stay out of the sun and slather factor 30 on what few bits of skin would have been exposed. Got sunburnt as a kid so didn't fancy that again. I'm not saying it was the cause but there is a lot of evidence that it is a contributory factor.

I take 8000 IU's/day in winter and 4000 in the summer plus I sunbathe as close to starkers as I can get away with, for about 20 minutes a day when the sun is at its highest. It might be a case of barn doors and horses but together with diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes things are relatively stable and I hope to keep it that way.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 18th, 2023, 9:53 am

I was tested a while ago while investigating joint pains. I was deficient in vitamin D. Apparently it's very common indeed in the UK population. I started taking vitamin D supplements which made no difference whatsoever to my joint pain. Obviously for some other people, their mileage varies.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » May 18th, 2023, 5:43 pm

Moderator Message:
edited to replace link with the correct one from the OP's later post (chas49)

Thanks Chas49!

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”