Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Arthritis

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Arthritis

Postby Leothebear » August 3rd, 2023, 4:35 pm

Never thought I'd be posing this :(

I've had a touch of athritus in my hands for a few years now but it's been quite managable and hasn't hindered me to any serious degree.
Just in the last 2-3 days it has cranked right up until I'm struggling to hold a mug of tea.

I expected it to worsen but not this quickly.

I'd welcome any ideas or suggestions about easing this.

Thanks

Leo

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Arthritis

Postby monabri » August 3rd, 2023, 4:48 pm

Any dietary changes?

Both hands ...have you been active ( eg doing DIY ?).

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/

Seems arthritis can come on suddenly.

Perhaps book an appointment with the doctor.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 3rd, 2023, 5:35 pm

Both hands at once? As Monabri says, that's a bit counter-intuitive, most people wear out one hand before the other. Get thee to a medic, who can prescribe you some anti-inflammatories to help with the pain, and get you an X-ray so you can move it forward. Sounds a bit like carpal tunnel to me if you can't hold a mug of tea, but he'll know better.

In the meantime, ibuprofen will help, and invest a few quid in a tube of diclofenac ointment (sold over the counter as Voltarol). Good stuff.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 4th, 2023, 8:34 am

It could be osteo or rheumatoid arthritis...probably osteo.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/osteoarthritis/

See your GP.

John

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 6th, 2023, 7:20 am

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Something I omitted was I'd just started taking apple cider vinegar. I'd read it helps with arthritis and took well over a tablespoon with hot water and a little honey. It was the day after this I had the severe worsening.

I'm still taking it but a reduced amount.

It is so much better now. Coincidental or not? I don't know but I'll update this thread with any progress or otherwise.

Best regards

Leo

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 6th, 2023, 10:05 am

Leothebear wrote:Something I omitted was I'd just started taking apple cider vinegar. I'd read it helps with arthritis and took well over a tablespoon with hot water and a little honey. It was the day after this I had the severe worsening.

Hmmm, acids can work both ways on joints. It might be wise to get yourself urine-tested for gout. Which has very little to do with swilling too much port, as the hilarious old trope has it, and more to do with certain foods, including too much red meat. Although there's usually also a genetic predisposition in the mix. And yes, it would figure that it's come on suddenly in both hands at once.

No sniggering at the back there, gout is as painful as it sounds. I used to get it in my ankles. Gouty arthritis is caused by a deposit of needle-sharp uric acid crystals forming inside your joints. :shock: Easily treated with allopurinol (prescription only) if a dietary modification isn't enough. I haven't had an attack in thirty years. Good luck!

[Edit} I've just seen that you can buy self-test kits for a fiver or so: https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/ ... gsEALw_wcB [/Edit]

BJ

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » August 6th, 2023, 12:18 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
[Edit} I've just seen that you can buy self-test kits for a fiver or so: https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/ ... gsEALw_wcB [/Edit]

BJ

Those are uric acid urine tests… no use here. Blood test needed.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 6th, 2023, 12:23 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:

Those are uric acid urine tests… no use here. Blood test needed.

You're right, of course. Proper blood tests are required for a proper medical diagnosis. Urine tests are not much more than a way of getting your doctor's attention, but they have their uses because they're quick. :D

BJ

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”