Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Amlodipine

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Amlodipine

Postby Clitheroekid » November 13th, 2023, 11:29 pm

I’ve been prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure, but I’m very wary of taking any drugs, so I wondered if any fellow Fools might be using this, and, if so, whether they have experienced any side-effects.

The reason I’m wary is that when I was originally diagnosed with high BP I was prescribed Ramipril, which seems to be the standard BP treatment. It did reduce my blood pressure, but I noticed that I was starting to feel very lethargic and seemed to have no energy.

I didn’t associate it with the Ramipril, and when I went to see my GP he didn’t seem to think there might be any connection.

So I consulted Dr Google, and discovered that one of the fairly rare side-effects of Ramipril was kidney damage. I checked out the symptoms of kidney damage and they included tiredness and lethargy.

Back to my GP, and he also Googled it (literally – I watched him do it) and confirmed that there was indeed a possible link. I had blood tests, which showed that the reading (which I didn’t know at the time, but I believe it’s called the GFR number) was 27, whereas it should have been over 60.

He said it could just be a coincidence, but stopped the Ramipril and sent me for a kidney scan. The scan was clear, and within three or four weeks my GFR was back to around 70.

However, it really scared me, as he said that once the GFR got down to the early 20s we were looking at dialysis!

As result, I deferred doing anything for a couple of years, and tried to reduce my BP by taking more exercise, losing weight and so on. However, although doing so has made me feel better generally it hasn't reduced my BP, and on a recent visit to my GP he said I was at high risk by not taking medication. He's therefore prescribed Amlodipine.

As I said at the outset, I generally avoid taking drugs if it’s at all possible. I know hypertension is called the silent killer, because it’s symptom-free, but I really do feel in excellent health, I’m therefore very reluctant to start taking medication that might make me feel unwell.

Hoping for reassurance!

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Amlodipine

Postby richfool » November 13th, 2023, 11:58 pm

I took only Losartan 50mg for many years, for raised BP, before Amlodopine 5mg per day was added last year, (to try and alleviate chest pain when walking uphill). No side affects, though yes, I get tired.

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » November 14th, 2023, 2:09 am

I have been on Ramipril since my early 60s then last year my BP was quite high so they added 10mg amlodipine, in fact the doctor quite a new one to the practice was a little surprised that I wasn't on it anyway. I have had no I'll effects at all and my BP is back to normal limits.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 14th, 2023, 8:53 am

I was successfully on Amlodipine for some 10 years then starting to get some side effects - in particular swelling just above the ankles. Furthermore as it was becoming gradually less effective in controlling my BP, my GP switched me to Indapamide (2.5mg every 2 days). This has been totally effective and my BP is now 120/80.

T7

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 14th, 2023, 8:56 am

I have been taking Amlodipine in combination with Telmisartin for about 5 years. One on it's own isn't as effective for me as the combination of the two. I have no noticeable side effects and BP is fine. Hope that helps.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » November 14th, 2023, 1:30 pm

I've been taking 10mg Amlodipine once a day for a few years now and haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever. I've recently had a number of blood tests for other reasons and all of my readings were normal so I presume it's not damaging my kidneys which is another silent killer.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 14th, 2023, 1:35 pm

WickedLester wrote:I've been taking 10mg Amlodipine once a day for a few years now and haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever. I've recently had a number of blood tests for other reasons and all of my readings were normal so I presume it's not damaging my kidneys which is another silent killer.

Good to mention. I get an annual kidney function check to keep an eye on that due to taking BP medication.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » November 14th, 2023, 7:46 pm

I was on 5mg of Amlodipine from 2000 when my BP went extremely high, within days of taking it my BP was back within tolerances. Many checks later and one effort to change it for no apparent reason my BP became a concern again, so a call from surgery and raised to 10mg, in 2020. So no side effects for 5mg but at 10mg my ankles swelled for a while and then settled down, but I only have to " nudge " my arms and I bruise, which takes a while to disappear and my skin seems to cut easier and bleed, which could be age related as well (70 next year). I do not like taking pills but feel this is one I cannot ignore.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » November 14th, 2023, 10:51 pm

seagles wrote:I was on 5mg of Amlodipine from 2000 when my BP went extremely high, within days of taking it my BP was back within tolerances. Many checks later and one effort to change it for no apparent reason my BP became a concern again, so a call from surgery and raised to 10mg, in 2020. So no side effects for 5mg but at 10mg my ankles swelled for a while and then settled down, but I only have to " nudge " my arms and I bruise, which takes a while to disappear and my skin seems to cut easier and bleed, which could be age related as well (70 next year). I do not like taking pills but feel this is one I cannot ignore.

My 86 year old father who has been taking BP medication since his 40's also seems to bruise easily on his arms, it's a bit unsightly but doesn't really cause him any real problems. This seems like a side effect worth putting up with to me, far better than a stroke or heart attack.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » November 15th, 2023, 12:38 am

seagles wrote:I was on 5mg of Amlodipine from 2000 when my BP went extremely high, within days of taking it my BP was back within tolerances. Many checks later and one effort to change it for no apparent reason my BP became a concern again, so a call from surgery and raised to 10mg, in 2020. So no side effects for 5mg but at 10mg my ankles swelled for a while and then settled down, but I only have to " nudge " my arms and I bruise, which takes a while to disappear and my skin seems to cut easier and bleed, which could be age related as well (70 next year). I do not like taking pills but feel this is one I cannot ignore.

I am on 5mg of Amlodipine and I haven't noticed any side effects. A few years ago my doctor suggested I might want to up it to 10mg but she also said that when it goes up to 10mg the likelihood of swollen ankles increases significantly (if I remember correctly). I've left mine at 5mg and I also take 10mg of Ramipril. I haven't notices any side effects with this, but this thread is making me wonder if perhaps I have some. I get more tired than I used to during the day and I sometimes snooze after lunch which I never used to do, but then I am also getting older and maybe that's just natural.

wydffa

Postby wydffa » November 15th, 2023, 12:49 pm

It is common to have a blood test a week after starting Ramipril (an ACE-Inhibitor) due to the potential negative effect on kidney function and potassium. This effect (restriction of arterial blood supply) is reversible and ACE-Inhibitors are generally protective of kidneys. This also applies to the related class of BP medicines known as ARBs (eg Irbesartan).

Amlodipine etc have no serious side-effects (unless you faint due to low BP) and the half life of 30-50 hours mean it could be taken alternate days.

The NHS NICE guidelines on treating hypertension are openly available. Best to buy your own machine to check at home.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 15th, 2023, 1:28 pm

You don't give any details of your BP readings but it is without doubt that high BP is a major cause of events that will either shorten your life or curtail your health and enjoyment of it.

It is possible to control blood pressure with a combination of diet and lifestyle but that depends on how dedicated you are and what stage you at at in terms of your history of high blood pressure.

Almost all medicines that have significant effects on the body come with side effects which may being exhibited to a greater or lesser extent depending on the individual, also a drug that suits one person may not be well tolerated by another.

I would follow the advice of your GP if you trust him, if you don't trust him then I would find another GP.

John

forgotusername
Lemon Pip

Postby forgotusername » November 15th, 2023, 2:47 pm

Both my wife and I have taken Amlodipine. I her case the worst side effect was itching skin on her feet. It drove her mad and made sleep very difficult. I was prescribed it too but also suffered itching feet but worse was the swelling in my feet and ankles. I believe this occurs because the drug relaxes the blood vessel walls to allow easier blood flow. This in turn makes the blood vessels leak water into surrounding tissue.

Our GP switched my wife to Ramipril which made her cough a lot initially but eventually it settled down. I'm on Perindopril which has caused me no problems. FWIW.

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » November 15th, 2023, 6:53 pm

Probably a slightly longer and more rambling post than is necessary:

In 2013 after noticing continual decline in my hearing (at that time I was 35), I went to see my GP. After various tests I was referred to ENT at the local hospital having been diagnosed with otosclerosis and a proposed surgical intervention of a stapedectomy.

The last step before having a stapedectomy (under general anaesthetic) was a pre-operative assessment at the same hospital. This diagnosed high blood pressure and I was discharged back to my GP to get my blood pressure under control. (This meant that when I was re-referred back the waiting time started all over again which I think is a shambles but that's an irrelevant rant in respect of this post!)

The next 2 years saw me go through 2.5mg, 5mg, 7.5mg and 10mg of Ramipril which didn't get it under control. They then added 2.5mg, 5mg, 7.5mg and 10mg of amlodipine which didn't get it under control. They then added 2.5mg of indapamide and then 5.0mg of indapamide. That's where the prescription drugs stopped. At the same time, I had numerous ECGs, a referral to Cardiology and other stuff I probably no longer remember.

All through that drug course, I had no side effects. I was on regular blood tests (the amount of bruises I had on my arms from a painless blood test is astronomical!)

I had 24 hours blood pressure monitoring and a raft of other stuff (was ultimately diagnosed with white coat syndrome) but more importantly eventually had my stapedectomy in 2017.

For a couple of years I had 0 side effects. It was just 3 tablets I took every day. Then, in 2020 I started suffering from angioedema (severe swelling of my lips/face albeit otherwise painless). I was referred from the GP to hospital and they did tests and found nothing specific.

However, one of the side effects of Ramipril is angioedema and it can apparently just start randomly while on the course of the drugs. Consequently, I was taken completely off the Ramipril. (As an aside, the situation was confused as they thought it might have been to do with Corsodyl but it continued when I discontinued using that).

I've now been on amlodipine/indapamide for probably the best part of 3 years. My blood pressure is right on the cusp of control (so borderline high). But I've had no side effects of either. I need to lose weight and generally be more healthy diet wise - but I don't feel any lethargy. On Friday I did an 80 mile bike ride (I can do this maybe once a week if I feel the enthusiasm) and while I relaxed over the weekend I then did a 100 mile bike ride on the Monday with no real ill effects the following day.

I guess what this really shows is everyone is different - so who knows how you and your body will react. But I'd say it's better to take it and find out rather than not and potentially suffer the ill-effects of high blood pressure. There' s numerous medicine and something will likely suit your body etc.

I'm subject to annual blood tests which check everything from potassium to cholesterol etc (I have low potassium and therefore take supplements) but that means the GP can flag any concerns and any issues in terms of liver function etc due to the drugs I'm on (probably for life).

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 16th, 2023, 12:24 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I’ve been prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure, but I’m very wary of taking any drugs, so I wondered if any fellow Fools might be using this, and, if so, whether they have experienced any side-effects..............

...... As I said at the outset, I generally avoid taking drugs if it’s at all possible. I know hypertension is called the silent killer, because it’s symptom-free, but I really do feel in excellent health, I’m therefore very reluctant to start taking medication that might make me feel unwell.

Hoping for reassurance!

I have taken amlodipine for around 25 years with no side effects that I have noticed. Started on 5 mg then 10 mg. I had a great job but fast moving and big responsibilities. Checked with the company doctor about the treatment. He knew my situation and said, “you are being sensible, take the medication. Some people don’t and they suffer the consequences.”

Last year my current doctor called me as part of my “well man” health check and asked me if I could explain why my blood pressure readings (taken by my home machine) were quite low. My suggestion was that I’m retired, relaxed, pretty fit, sensible diet and take regular energetic exercise. She suggested cutting the dose back to 5 mg which I did and the bp is slightly higher but in the normal range.

In my view, using a machine at home over many years (I bought an Omron for around £70 and have checked it is accurate) and taking a week’s readings every three months or so is the best way to monitor bp. After taking a few readings over a couple of days it becomes an unstressful routine. The doctor agrees that this approach gives the most realistic readings and helps to make sure any medication is at the right strength.

Hope this is helpful.

Good luck

Howard

PS Many years ago the doctor did tell me that the only sure fire way I could reduce my blood pressure without medication was to change my parents. ;)

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » November 16th, 2023, 6:26 pm

It seems doctors have quite a wide choice of BP medication available to them, so plugging away at finding the one(s) you can tolerate must be the way to go.

I was in my 40s when diagnosed, with the "blame" placed squarely on my parents as there were no obvious contributory factors - I was (and remain) active, slim, not stressed, a non-smoker, and had never set foot in a McDonald's or similar (still haven't). As my GP at the time said, I had nowhere to run in terms of making lifestyle changes, so drugs were the only option, but it took months of titration to find effective combination with no side effects. My current BP running range is around 105/65 and I check it once a week.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » November 16th, 2023, 11:23 pm

I’m on Bisoprolol which, at low doses, is seen as very effective and unlikely to cause problems. I’m on 1.25mg and have no side effects. My blood pressure wasn’t particularly high but is now about 120/75. I searched for a comparison and found:
https://www.drugs.com/compare/amlodipine-vs-bisoprolol

These are different drugs and work in different ways. I’m not qualified to comment on the preference for one over the other.

Best wishes, Steve

ourlady

Postby ourlady » November 16th, 2023, 11:48 pm

The best way to reduce your blood pressure without any medication is to reduce, drastically, your salt intake.
I have been on Amlodipine for more than 10 years with no noticeable side effects.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 17th, 2023, 7:10 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I’ve been prescribed Amlodipine for high blood pressure, but I’m very wary of taking any drugs, so I wondered if any fellow Fools might be using this, and, if so, whether they have experienced any side-effects.

Earlier this year, I went for a pre-med check before a cataract operation, and to my surprise I discovered that I had a high blood pressure. I was put on a starter dose of 5mg Amlodipine and didn't notice any side effects, but after this was increased to 10mg, I noticed swollen ankles with a red "rash" - which the Dr explained was blood weep-age. I was removed from Amlodipine, and changed to 2.5mg of Bendroflumethiazide (a diuretic). I now visit the toilet more often :) I have also been put on a Statin. I'm 79, and still row a boat up and down our loch during the fishing season, but I do seem to be snoozing a bit more. One positive is that previously (for many years) I could bring on an angina-like pain in the upper arm if I set off walking at a brisk pace. Once I warmed up, it disappeared. Now the angina pain does not appear.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”