Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Jogging

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Jogging

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 10:17 am

After a lengthy lay off through idleness, :lol: I'm looking to take up running again. I'm forty nine and a hawf. :D I last ran around 8 years ago when I completed a marathon and then never thought about running again. Challenged completed as they say.

Has anyone else taken up running in their middle ages after a lengthy lay off?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Jogging

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 21st, 2017, 10:42 am

Halicarnassus wrote:Has anyone else taken up running in their middle ages after a lengthy lay off?

Sort-of. It didn't last. But then I was never a serious runner: didn't really enjoy it even in my teens when I did a daily run with friends for a couple of years.

On the positive side, no worse effects on the body at 50 than at 15. Surprisingly. Perhaps footwear has improved and jolts the body inherently less, offsetting the years.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 11:01 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:Has anyone else taken up running in their middle ages after a lengthy lay off?

Sort-of. It didn't last. But then I was never a serious runner: didn't really enjoy it even in my teens when I did a daily run with friends for a couple of years.

On the positive side, no worse effects on the body at 50 than at 15. Surprisingly. Perhaps footwear has improved and jolts the body inherently less, offsetting the years.

Well batter late than never. I've already ordered the trainers from wiggle :D

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2017, 11:12 am

Halicarnassus wrote:After a lengthy lay off through idleness, :lol: I'm looking to take up running again. I'm forty nine and a hawf. :D I last ran around 8 years ago when I completed a marathon and then never thought about running again. Challenged completed as they say.

I am 61 next month and Mrs RS (younger than me) is training for a half marathon in a few weeks time. So last Sunday at 7.30 she had me out with her on a 7 mile run which is the furthest I've run for many a year. Legs ached a bit after but no other ill effects. Go for it...but take it slow to start with. Get good shoes!

John

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 11:36 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:After a lengthy lay off through idleness, :lol: I'm looking to take up running again. I'm forty nine and a hawf. :D I last ran around 8 years ago when I completed a marathon and then never thought about running again. Challenged completed as they say.

I am 61 next month and Mrs RS (younger than me) is training for a half marathon in a few weeks time. So last Sunday at 7.30 she had me out with her on a 7 mile run which is the furthest I've run for many a year. Legs ached a bit after but no other ill effects. Go for it...but take it slow to start with. Get good shoes!

John

Good on you John. :D It's cooling down over here nicely of late, so I'll cough off a few cobwebs from the lungs and give it a go. Although I'm still of late confused by Dr Michael Moseley's new take on fitness: frantic bursts of intensity, rather than more conventional methods like jogging.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

Halicarnassus wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

Good on you John. :D It's cooling down over here nicely of late, so I'll cough off a few cobwebs from the lungs and give it a go. Although I'm still of late confused by Dr Michael Moseley's new take on fitness: frantic bursts of intensity, rather than more conventional methods like jogging.

There's a lot of evidence for the benefits of HIIT . (High Intensity Interval Training) It is time effective but harder than it seems to do total lung bursting activity for two minute intervals!

Once you are back into running then step up to Fartlek is probably a good thing and help to prevent boredom.

John

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 11:41 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

There's a lot of evidence for the benefits of HIIT . (High Intensity Interval Training) It is time effective but harder than it seems to do total lung bursting activity for two minute intervals!

Once you are back into running then step up to Fartlek is probably a good thing and help to prevent boredom.

John

I would seriously be concerned about keeling over!

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm

Have you thought about cycling?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39641122

My brother was a runner and now in his mid-50's his knees are shagged so he's (partly) taken up cycling.

Swimming is a good thing to put in the mix too but it's more hassle because you have to go to the baths.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 21st, 2017, 12:31 pm

Every aged runner I know has knackered knees or hips, often with replacement parts! If I were you I would seriously consider cycling or swimming, but concede that may not appeal or be convenient.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 12:47 pm

I think I read somewhere that inactivity knackers your knees and running generates regrowth!
Swimming: not really practical for me.
Cycling: Have you seen Aussie drivers?c :shock:

I do enjoy walking (see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4418). All I need to do is move faster and change the shoes :lol:

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » April 21st, 2017, 3:43 pm

Halicarnassus wrote:I think I read somewhere that inactivity knackers your knees and running generates regrowth!
Swimming: not really practical for me.
Cycling: Have you seen Aussie drivers?c :shock:

I do enjoy walking (see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4418). All I need to do is move faster and change the shoes :lol:

Inactivity knackers you full stop.

If you are in Aus you should be surfing and crocodile wrestling surely.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » April 21st, 2017, 4:35 pm

I do enjoy walking (see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4418). All I need to do is move faster and change the shoes

Have you thought of trying Nordic Walking? Not sure if it is as big in Australia as it is in Europe but seems to have the advantage of giving a better workout than 'just' walking yet reducing the stress on knees and hips.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2017, 5:34 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:
I do enjoy walking (see viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4418). All I need to do is move faster and change the shoes

Have you thought of trying Nordic Walking? Not sure if it is as big in Australia as it is in Europe but seems to have the advantage of giving a better workout than 'just' walking yet reducing the stress on knees and hips.

How is that going for you?

John

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » April 21st, 2017, 6:50 pm

So far I've only done a 'Taster' session. I'm now waiting for a suitable course to start. The instructor felt (and I strongly agree) that I need to start in a group which does a shorter walk and on reasonably flat ground preferably with a hard surface. Most Nordic Walking groups stride off into the countryside or walk in Country Parks tackling hills and rough ground along the way and my rather inflexible arthritic feet really aren't up to that at the moment. From time to time a starter course is run which involves less able walkers like me, they walk round a town park which has paths so no slithering or attempts at hill climbing or, perhaps more of a problem, walking downhill.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » April 21st, 2017, 8:36 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:

So far I've only done a 'Taster' session. I'm now waiting for a suitable course to start. The instructor felt (and I strongly agree) that I need to start in a group which does a shorter walk and on reasonably flat ground preferably with a hard surface. Most Nordic Walking groups stride off into the countryside or walk in Country Parks tackling hills and rough ground along the way and my rather inflexible arthritic feet really aren't up to that at the moment. From time to time a starter course is run which involves less able walkers like me, they walk round a town park which has paths so no slithering or attempts at hill climbing or, perhaps more of a problem, walking downhill.

Great, good luck with it. And the cycling?

John

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 21st, 2017, 11:39 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:

No I haven't. On this cue, I had a look at a few videos on youtube and it looks very serious! :)

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 22nd, 2017, 7:57 am

I ran from being a teenager into my 30s, quite serious at some times (nationals etc.), then took up cycling to avoid knee damage, then stopped cycling to avoid an early grave, and now I'm an obsessive walker doing about 2,500 miles a year. I don't set myself a target, nor do I measure miles (my phone does that without me asking), but I walk every day, and it's become my life. No lower back problems any more, no damage to joints, and a thoroughly great way to spend your days, weekends, and holidays IMHO.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 22nd, 2017, 8:07 am

BrummieDave wrote:I ran from being a teenager into my 30s, quite serious at some times (nationals etc.), then took up cycling to avoid knee damage, then stopped cycling to avoid an early grave, and now I'm an obsessive walker doing about 2,500 miles a year. I don't set myself a target, nor do I measure miles (my phone does that without me asking), but I walk every day, and it's become my life. No lower back problems any more, no damage to joints, and a thoroughly great way to spend your days, weekends, and holidays IMHO.

Thanks Dave. What age are you? You're a bloke so you probably aren't put out with me asking you. :lol:

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 22nd, 2017, 8:30 am

(very) mid 50s

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 22nd, 2017, 9:39 am

BrummieDave wrote:(very) mid 50s

Not too far in front of me then. This has got me thinking about my plans for running again. Undoubtedly running has the advantage on the time side when you are busy and working.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”