Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stretching and Twitching

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
feder1
Lemon Slice

Stretching and Twitching

Postby feder1 » October 24th, 2017, 5:57 am

Do you think taking up Yoga and generally doing a stretching program makes one twitch in bed when asleep?

As an older male person, recently I have done extra stretching as well as the usual swimming/running/tennis daytime hobbies.

However, as soon as I fall asleep I may very frequently twitch strongly in the night to the extent that partner is most unhappy.

A recent blood test has come up perfectly OK after seeing the Doc about this.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Stretching and Twitching

Postby redsturgeon » October 24th, 2017, 6:36 am

feder1 wrote:Do you think taking up Yoga and generally doing a stretching program makes one twitch in bed when asleep?

As an older male person, recently I have done extra stretching as well as the usual swimming/running/tennis daytime hobbies.

However, as soon as I fall asleep I may very frequently twitch strongly in the night to the extent that partner is most unhappy.

A recent blood test has come up perfectly OK after seeing the Doc about this.

I've never heard of this effect of yoga on the body.

When you say "twitching" what does that entail? Is it all muscles or just legs for example?

(Caveat: looking up symptoms on Google invariably brings up all sort of nasty potential but very unlikely causes.)

Is it like a myoclonic jerk?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

Or is it more like restless leg syndrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

Or is it more like benign fasciculation syndrome?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

Did it start right after you began the yoga/stretching? I would say yoga is generally a very good thing to be doing to improve health. What sort of yoga is it? Is it a gentle form or are you having to push yourself quite hard? Are you aching and tired after the sessions? How often are you doing it?

I suppose you could stop the extra stretching and yoga for a week or two to see if the twitching reduces or you could keep at it in the hope that the twitching goes away.

John

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » October 24th, 2017, 6:48 am

We have racked our brains and studied all sorts of stuff that you have referred to and seen the doctor but your last suggestion in the last sentence is what we will try.

It wasn't any organised yoga, just all over body stretching for a while in order to be a bit more flexible. It does coincide with the problem. It is a sudden violent shudder all over.

During sleep the body repairs it's mind and body and if the tendons have done too much in the day it seemed logical that they may react at night. Just guessing.

Our new little "fitbit" watch indicates 1 to 2 hours deep sleep and the rest is light sleep. Same as usual.

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » October 25th, 2017, 2:22 pm

feder1 wrote:It is a sudden violent shudder all over.

MY oh is an active sort, and routinely walks well in excess of his 10,000 steps every day at work, plus extra bits and bobs (that you or I would consider quite significant, but for him are relatively trivial!).

He also has a sudden shudder as he falls asleep. It can be quite alarming for me, especially if I am dropping off too, but he remembers nothing of it the next day.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”