Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

My journey to health and wellbeing - July 2017 - to date

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Re: My journey to health and wellbeing - July 2017 - to date

Postby EssDeeAitch » May 30th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Snorvey wrote:February 2018 - Eat 3 normal meals a day only

Scrub this one. The later date is the correct one.

Excellent! That is a really deserved result for the effort that you put in, accept my kudos. Now into the maintainence phase. What vintage are you BTW?

Although I go to gym twice or three times a week and cycle between 25 and 50 miles three times a week, I still struggle with weight (I dont look overweight but I could lose a stone). I also have a low heart rate (47 to 52) and goid BP. I blame being 66 for the weight issue rather than my self indulgent eating between meals

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 30th, 2019, 7:37 pm

15 and a half down to sub 11 stone, wow...!

Big congrats! :)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 30th, 2019, 7:47 pm

That is fantastic Snorvey. I do not think I could cope with fasting for a day, unless it was like Ramadan when I could eat after sunset.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 30th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Snorvey wrote:
I think there's about half a stone more to come off and a bit of toning up.

I only started doing the weights in April 2019. A 10 minute session in the morning and a 15 minute session post rowing. The weights are making a big difference even after such a short time.

Fantastic effort Snorvey - you must be so chuffed to have done so well.

Regarding your comments above, I live in hope that watching the food side of things in conjunction with good exercise routines is hitting the problem from both sides, and in addition to that we're hopefully slightly replacing at least some of the 'bad weight' with 'better quality weight', in terms of muscle-mass over fat.

So my question would be to ask if you've noticed this, or has the weight-loss been so dramatic that it's been difficult to tell too much?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » May 30th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Snorvey wrote:There's a program on BBC 4 tonight @ 9pm which might be of interest to some on here.

Unless they've made a second series, it's a rerun of something from a few years back which I watched at the time. I particularly remember some Californians who weigh everything they eat, in small portions, and seemed to limit their diet to 'nuts and berries' type food. They were like the walking dead tbh.

I suspect that the mere fact that it's on BBC4, and not BBC2, means it is a rerun. If so, they should go back and see if the folks are all still alive! ;)

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » May 31st, 2019, 8:51 am

Snorvey wrote:I too enjoy cycling but the weather puts too many barriers in the way for me. I did try a gym a few years ago, but again it was too much hassle. Which is why I went for the indoor rower.

Rowing machines are very effective for cardio fitness and all-over workout. That plus some free-weights as you get older is a great combo.

Though if you like cycling but struggle with the weather, and have the space and can spare the money ( a few ifs!), maybe take a look at a quality modern indoor bike trainer setup, eg. using your own bike on a decent quality 'smart trainer' in conjunction with an app like Zwift for virtual riding, racing or training programmes.

I don't ride in poor weather so do at least half my cycling indoors using TrainerRoad software, which is hardcore interval training programmes but very effective if you like that sort of thing. A bit minimalist for many people, but Zwift is equally effective and a lot more immersive hence gazillions of people using it!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeOCqL ... iENWfuFzUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8fArWR-CsE
Last edited by tikunetih on May 31st, 2019, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » May 31st, 2019, 9:12 am

Snorvey wrote:I have a turbo trainer but the set up is too big for the house. I had it set up in the shed but its just too cold in the winter time. And I like the rower because it work me from top to bottom.

The least barriers I have the better.

Fair enough, sound like it's working well for you!

I know from my own experience that your "least barriers" comment is spot on: having decent quality equipment permanently set up if space permits, and in an appealing environment if possible, can make a huge difference to whether it gets used or not...

Plus having longer term goals to work towards also.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 4th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Snorvey wrote:A BBC article today on some of the various types of fasting

Fasting patterns

The 16:8 diet involves fasting for 16 hours per day and eating within an eight-hour window. This is usually done by only eating from midday till 8pm.

The 5:2 diet involves eating only 25% of a normal calorie intake on two non-consecutive days per week.

A 24 hours fast involves consuming no calories on one day of the week or month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48478 ... ting-story

I'm a convert to fasting which I suspect confers various health benefits. One obvious thing I notice is an improvement in skin health\complexion. It also has some interesting psychological effects which - I suspect - explains why most of the major religions prescribe fasting at times of religious festivals.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 4th, 2019, 1:14 pm

I would like to lose some weight but I could not contemplate fasting for 24 hours. If I miss a meal, I tend to struggle although I have cut down portion sizes and that is helping. I also walk 3 miles or so on at least alternate days and this morning doubled it up and did 6 miles with no problem. I am now about to get outside to do about three hours of gardening. I would not mind 16 hours of fasting and indeed may even try that. I do not eat between meals and do not have biscuits, chocolate or anything like that in the house. (I now live alone)

I was visiting friends last week and with morning coffee they insisted that I had a chocolate biscuit. I found it horrible. In fact, now that my halo is shining brightly I can say that my one sin is drinking whisky but that is not supposed to be fattening? See what you are doing for us Snorvey?

Dod

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 4th, 2019, 4:58 pm

The body gets trained by it's owner to expect food at certain times. It can be trained to expect it at different times and frequencies too, but it takes time. As Dr. Moseley points out, breakfast is a modern habit popularised by the Victorians. I have eaten once a day for about the last 15 years and sometimes (about every 10 days) miss a day and therefore fast for about 48 hours. I don't find it difficult, it's what I have become used to. Sometimes I find exercise a little harder but not much so. My weight is pretty stable and sometimes I find I need to eat more in order to maintain it. I don't drink alcohol though (I'm a recovering alcoholic) and now in my early 60's find that I weigh about the same as I did when I was 16, having lost about 6 stone since I gave up booze about 18 years ago. In this country we seem to have moved from a time when many suffered from ill-health due to insufficient and poor nutrition to ill-health due to overconsumption and the consumption of wrong foods. We have a food culture that has become largely perverted with cookery programs on the TV and all over social media and it isn't doing most of us any good at all.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 4th, 2019, 5:18 pm

I am not sure that I admire you people for fasting because that seems to be totally unnecessary if we eat only sufficient food at normal times. My feeling is that it is the quantity and type of food we eat that are the main cause of our problems, and of course our sedentary lifestyles. I would say my lifestyle is active for a guy in his mid 70s, certainly compared to my peers and when I see people just about managing to stagger along airport walkways, quite probably younger than me I get truly annoyed with them.

I never have takeaways and always eat freshly prepared food from scratch. I have no prepared meals from say M& S. I go along with Snorvey's idea that we should be careful not to consume the calories in the first place.

RC. Do you really think that cookery programmes on TV 'pervert' our food culture? I never watch TV except for the news and sport and certainly could not be bothered with food programmes. We should be eating to live although I must say I very much like to go to a decent restaurant occasionally. I suspect that once we get to what may be an optimum weight for height and build then it should be possible simply to maintain that with normal eating habits and no need for fasting.

Dod

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 4th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Dod101 wrote:
RC. Do you really think that cookery programmes on TV 'pervert' our food culture? I never watch TV except for the news and sport and certainly could not be bothered with food programmes. We should be eating to live although I must say I very much like to go to a decent restaurant occasionally. I suspect that once we get to what may be an optimum weight for height and build then it should be possible simply to maintain that with normal eating habits and no need for fasting.

Dod

I expressed myself a little strongly perhaps but yes, the food adverts, cookery programs etc. do contribute to an unhealthy attitude towards food IMO. There can be little doubt that many of us are eating ourselves to death, type 2 diabetes being the most obvious example. Whilst I am very wary of diet quackery I do think there is good evidence that ketogenesis is good for you and not just for weight loss, particularly for cholesterol, blood pressure and insulin resistance:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/keto/keto-diet-benefits.html

And it generally takes either a fasting period or a lot of exercise to achieve the ketogenic state. Before the development of agriculture which in evolutionary terms is a recent development humans would have likely experienced longer periods between meals and regular periods of ketosis would have been the norm.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 4th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I had to look up the word ketogenic to understand and it tells me that it is a high fat, adequate protein and low carbohydrate diet. I assume ketosis means low carbohydrates and a high fat diet. OK so we cut down on potatoes and rice and increase our fat intake. My feeling is that adequate all three is good enough. In my mid 70s I take no pills (and was checked over not so long ago when I had a hip replacement, for stuff like blood sugar levels, blood pressure and so on) I think a balanced diet and not too much to eat is the answer plus of course having decent genes and keep active in mind and body.

There is no doubt that much of the population eats too much and too much rubbish. I only need to look at some of the baskets in a supermarket to see that..

Interesting though to hear others views and thanks for engaging.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 5th, 2019, 7:45 am

Dod101 wrote:I had to look up the word ketogenic to understand and it tells me that it is a high fat, adequate protein and low carbohydrate diet. I assume ketosis means low carbohydrates and a high fat diet. OK so we cut down on potatoes and rice and increase our fat intake. My feeling is that adequate all three is good enough. In my mid 70s I take no pills (and was checked over not so long ago when I had a hip replacement, for stuff like blood sugar levels, blood pressure and so on) I think a balanced diet and not too much to eat is the answer plus of course having decent genes and keep active in mind and body.

There is no doubt that much of the population eats too much and too much rubbish. I only need to look at some of the baskets in a supermarket to see that..

Dod

I sounds to me like you are doing the right thing for your body in terms of diet.

John

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 5th, 2019, 10:41 am

Dod101 wrote:I had to look up the word ketogenic to understand and it tells me that it is a high fat, adequate protein and low carbohydrate diet. I assume ketosis means low carbohydrates and a high fat diet. OK so we cut down on potatoes and rice and increase our fat intake. My feeling is that adequate all three is good enough. In my mid 70s I take no pills (and was checked over not so long ago when I had a hip replacement, for stuff like blood sugar levels, blood pressure and so on) I think a balanced diet and not too much to eat is the answer plus of course having decent genes and keep active in mind and body.

Dod

I think the 'ketogenic diet' slightly confuses the issue, as usual with 'diets'. I don't know whether a ketogenic diet is a good thing or not. One thing seems to have become apparent - and I think Dr. Moseley has pointed this out - and that is that different people respond very differently to the same diet, so there is no diet that is 'right' for everyone. As far as ketosis is concerned, some people try to achieve the ketogenic state by (as you say) eating high fat and low carb diets. That seems to be the ketogenic diet. On the other hand ketosis can be achieved by eating any kind of diet but leaving longer periods between meals. AFAIK this is why Dr. Moseley has recently advocated 'Time Restricted Eating' which is just a fancy way of saying that you eat your food during an 8 hour period and fast for the other 16. In other words ketosis is achieved by a fasting period rather than eating only high fat low carb foods.

RC

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 14th, 2019, 9:47 am

Good topic, being fat not quite obese had just become a way of life. A pint after a round of golf, a frequent glass of wine pre dinner. All home cooked food on the plus side.
Tactics to date, keto diet cutting out carbs, cutting out alcohol. So a stone down and a reduced blood pressure. Aim a flat stomach by autumn.
86 kg at start down to 79kg would like to get down to 74 kg which is my googled fighting weight allegedly.
Good news not hungry on this diet getting used to mini fast evening meal at 5 through to 12 ish the next day. Loads of veg and salad with a modicum of meat, cheese allowed.
Good luck to all

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » June 14th, 2019, 11:15 am

rapidly approaching 65 :D

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 20th, 2019, 11:27 am

Being near (or on) the sea is great for the mental health, in my opinion.
Unfortunately it also give me a massive appetite.
Fish and chips on the harbour wall at sunset, anyone ?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 20th, 2019, 11:37 am

Snorvey wrote:As noted elsewhere, I had a go at sea rowing last night.

We were out for about an hour and conditions were good. Even though I have an indoor rower, I'm still a bit achy this morning. Fixed seat rowing is a bit different to the machine. And the sea is quite different to the local boating pond.

Still, it was the most relaxing experience ever. Just the sound of several oars dragging the boat through the water, the boat creaking and a gentle breeze.

Fantastic stuff. Tiring, but relaxing. I'd highly recommend it.

My son and one of his grand daughters are very much into rowing on the sea as it happens (but any water rowing will do I suppose) They are in a rowing club in N Ireland and they expend a lot of energy I would have thought but their seats move with their feet strapped in. That would give pretty much a full body work out I assume. maybe you should try that?

Dod

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » June 20th, 2019, 12:46 pm

I'm interested in what sort of rowing machines / static cycle converters people recommend?

I enjoy cycling and would be happy to use my road bike on a static stand, but wouldn't want to damage it (I know nothing about the conversion kits, except for seeing one on offer, then reading some terrible reviews about it).

I used to go to the gym and use the rowing machines there, but sometimes found the machine would "walk", which is quite disconcerting in a crowded space!

VRD

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”